First time reading at market, Advise?

wooden-eye

Tomorrow is to be my first market experience.
I have a table, chairs, a lovely tent, signage and plenty of nervous enthusiasm.
I have three spreads in mind. A Celtic cross, a yes/no elemental and 7 card work spread.
I am thinking 20 minute readings.
I will be using Bonefire Tarot (the deck I created, RWS based), so I have no worries about interpreting the cards. So all in all I am pretty prepared.

This will be a very long anticipated day. There may be one spanner in the works. The weather forecast is dreadful. I had not envisioned setting up and reading in a storm. Yet it will feel so bad to miss this first date, like I am chickening out. Should I go ahead? There might be no one there, but this might be the gentle start I need?

I would like the day to be a positive experience, but I guess there are no guarantees there anyway.

Any advise would be lovely. Thank you in advance.

lilac04

Tomorrow is to be my first market experience.
I have a table, chairs, a lovely tent, signage and plenty of nervous enthusiasm.
I have three spreads in mind. A Celtic cross, a yes/no elemental and 7 card work spread.
I am thinking 20 minute readings.
I will be using Bonefire Tarot (the deck I created, RWS based), so I have no worries about interpreting the cards. So all in all I am pretty prepared.

This will be a very long anticipated day. There may be one spanner in the works. The weather forecast is dreadful. I had not envisioned setting up and reading in a storm. Yet it will feel so bad to miss this first date, like I am chickening out. Should I go ahead? There might be no one there, but this might be the gentle start I need?

I would like the day to be a positive experience, but I guess there are no guarantees there anyway.

Be as present as you can possibly be. Whatever advise you have for anybody, imagine how you would want to hear it first before you relay it to them. Don't be too hard on yourself if it's not what you expect or want on the day. Just be as compassionate and real as possible. The rest is up to you.

nisaba

There may be one spanner in the works. The weather forecast is dreadful.

Take stones, fairly heavy ones. Keep one on your deck. When you lay out cards for readings, drop a stone on every card.

Storms have wind.

No tent on earth is going to stop your cards flying away.

I hope I got to you soon enough -

Padma

Well, depends on the severity of the storm! If it is almost typhoon-like in proportion, might want to give it a miss...? Because if all of your effects get drenched, it is hardly worth it, and there will likely be not many people there.

If you are using your own deck, of course, you will be fine! :love:

But, as Nisaba very accurately pointed out, bring stones and sandbags - stones to anchor the cards. Sandbags to anchor your tent. I have done outdoor shows, and wish I had done as much! Lesson learned!

mah jong

Prepare yourself for a cross section of clients. One reading - an eye rolling cynic looking to kill some time. The very next reading - a tearful, desperate person wanting you to make a major life decision for them.

Take breaks to restore your energies.

canid

Anchor the cards-great advice! Think about what could happen; it wouldn't be pretty. I'd definitely do away with the Celtic Cross-much too time-consuming for a 20 minute reading, over & over. I'd do 3-5 cards, max. You can get more from that sometimes than with the CC by cross-referencing, kinda. Besides, that's less stones to cart around.

PattyMc

Everyone has given you great advise, I will just say:
Take nice slow deep breaths
Trust in those beautiful cards that have part of you (the creator) in each one
If you get a case of nerves.... Remember the old trick of imagining the client is sitting there in front of you in their underware, if this is an extremely attractive man, don't do that because you may be tempted to jump his bones and forget about the reading
If the weather is bad, even though there may be less people turn out, this will allow you to spend as much time as you'd like with each client without feeling rushed or stressed because others are waiting
If no one shows due to weather conditions, go somewhere else, find extremely handsome man, imagine in underware, jump his bones, and plan to do readings another day at the market!
Good luck and have fun! Sending positive thoughts for a great day!

Patty

Padma

:laugh: love your advice, PattyMc! :heart:

wooden-eye

Fabulous advice!
As soon as this is written I'm off to the garden to get stones. I would never have thought of that in a million years.
Eek- I'm starting to get the nervous need the toilet, tummy thing happening. I am suddenly feeling under-prepared. Isn't this supposed to be fun?
I keep reminding myself that I am really looking forward to this, but I still feel like a bit of in imposter. I think Bonefire will look after me.
Lilac, I hope I can filter what I say well enough, if I am nervous, my mouth can run away, my arms can start waving and I sometimes laugh too loudly. I guess the danger for me will be too much to say rather than too little.
Well that's enough from me, about me....my nerves are making the event about my day and not that which the cards can tell me to help others. Negative self-talk...tut tut...I should know better.
Well, off to get stones and revise spreads etc. etc.
I will report back after the event.
Thanks for the support, I wish I could have just one of you with me tomorrow.

Padma

Thanks for the support, I wish I could have just one of you with me tomorrow.

We shall all be with you in spirit, Wooden-eye :heart:

Relax! you'll be just fine. The minute you fall into your cards, and begin to read, the info will just flow, and you will calm right back down. Cards are very good at grounding.

:)