The Icky Green Deck- Not so icky!

Abrac

Hi sunflowr

I recently purchased a large version produced by Weist, and it had the hexagram card. It only had one version of the Magus. I don't know the ISBN cause I took 'em back and got a smaller version. The small deck I got says it's published by US Games, has three versions of the Magus, but it doesn't have the hexagram card. After reviewing some of the posts here, I can say that neither of these two decks were/are "icky green."

ff

Edit To Add: That's Weiser, not Weist...sorry, my bad.

Emily

thinbuddha said:
The "icky green" decks have a green border around the face of the cards rather than the grey borders in the newer printings. Some also claim that there is a green tint to the artwork itself (I haven't seen an icky green deck, so I can't comment).

The cards of the green Thoth do look like they've had a wash of pale green spread over them. Colours and details are muted behind this green wash. Its really obvious when you put a green Thoth and a normal one side by side. The scans of the green Thoth online just don't do it justice lol

You can't buy a green Thoth new now - the newer version of the large Thoth has lost this green tint.

gregory

Where does the original (?) OTO version fit in here ? (possibly printed around 1969) (Do I have to go upstairs and get them all out to check... Maybe so. Sigh.)

Dean

U.k

I have both the Thoths in Green and Blue boxs
i think the front borders on the Green edition looks quite nice i don't have a problem with the colour. At the moment i've got my Web-designer doing some new scans on my Thoth deck pictures to add too my Website page shortly, so its a toss up between the Green or the Blue boxed Thoths.

Parzival

Icky Green Deck

The backs do not have an outer white border, an improvement on the regular Thoth. I like the pale (or washed out?) coloration, more meditatively subtle, less melodramatically intense. But the bolder coloration is closer to the original paintings. It's the yin and yang of Thoth. I admire both.

Lillie

Gregory.
The original printings were not green.
They had the undecorated pale blue borders.
There is no green about them at all.

I have a very late (around 2000) old style USG Thoth.
It is very green. It is the greenest thing I have ever seen in the whole of my life.
If you put it in the middle of a green field, surrounded by green trees, with a green sky above it, it would still be the greenest thing there.

It is very, very green.

I think (but cannot be sure) that the earlier ones were not as green.
I originally had an older one, and I don't recall it being as green as this one is.

I like my greenie.
No bad vibes, just good, healthy green-ness.
Yum yum. Eat your greens, as my mother used to say.

Anyhow, it is more than worth it for the red and black hex and the borderless backs.

Love your greenie.

gregory

Lillie said:
I like my greenie.
No bad vibes, just good, healthy green-ness.
Yum yum. Eat your greens, as my mother used to say.

Anyhow, it is more than worth it for the red and black hex and the borderless backs.

Love your greenie.
I love green things. Also spinach, sprouts etc. But how sad. I have an OTO deck and two sizes of Muller. I must examine them with great care, but I fear this is all going by me. If you see a greenie on E-bay..... Do post a green card so I can see what I'm missing..... :(

gregory

Oh wow, that IS green. Thanks. I may even bid on it..... (It has the same backs as my OTO one, too.....) Is this you selling it ?

Lillie

Both 'green' decks I have owned came in an OTO style box.
But these are the ordinary one part box with the flaps at the top and bottom, rather than the two part box with the gold inner bit.

The designs on both are very similar, but the later, green ones have some writing on that says about them being new reproductions of the original paintings, and having a booklet of instructions.

Those in that auction look very green indeed. very healthy looking, like cabbage.