Specific vs. general questions in readings

Trogon

This is kind of a two-barrelled question... hopefully not too terribly difficult ;)

Most of the things I've read about the various layouts used for readings indicate that you get better results if you or your querrent can provide a relatively specific question. Something like "will I get married", "why did I lose my job", "should I relocate to San Jose", "why am I going to jail" etc... (okay... a person would probably know the answer to that last one :p). I'm wondering, though how well things work if a person just wanted to get some general insight into there life at this time and in the future.

Secondly, if you do this sort of "general life goings on" reading, what sort of layout might you use? Would the Celtic Cross layout work well for this? If not, what other layouts might work well?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Trogon

Rhiannon

I find that I usually prefer "general" readings. I just ask "What is going on right now that the client needs to know?" and I usually use the Celtic Cross for that one.

If they ask a specific question, like "Is so-and-so interested in me?" then I use a five card layout... as the CC spread gives too much info sometimes.

R :)

Jenny-Li

Hi!

I like general readings too, but perhaps with a specified area, such as a general love reading, a general carreer reading or whatever.

I kind of vary with the spread I use, but sure why not the CC, it works for most things. Though I do agree with Rhiannon, sometimes it's just too much, too diverse information, and a spread with less cards is preferable. Perhaps a three-carder on Body/outer world - Mind/inner world - Spirit...? That one is pretty general and shows the general situation in three different aspects of life. You can also draw extra clarification cards for this one, if you need more information on any of the parameters.

Light and love,
Jenny :)

Trogon

Jenny-Li said:
Perhaps a three-carder on Body/outer world - Mind/inner world - Spirit...? That one is pretty general and shows the general situation in three different aspects of life. You can also draw extra clarification cards for this one, if you need more information on any of the parameters.

Thanks Jenny-Li! Could you possibly expound a little more on the 3-carder you mentioned above? I hadn't run across this before in my all too limited studies so far but it sounds very intriguing and like something I'd probably use quite often. ;)

By "Body" do you mean the physical self, then "Mind" being one's current psychological and/or emotional state and "Spirit" being one's place in one's spiritual journey? And I'm afraid I don't understand the references to "outer world" and "inner world".

Thanks also to Rhiannon! I sure appreciate the replies.

Trogon

Laurel

I usually give general answers to general questions and more specific answers to specific questions.

I've noticed that if I warn a querent ahead of time that this is going to happen, one of two things happens

1) They stick to their general question and don't feel put out when they get what they asked for.

2) They decide to ask a specific question. :)

HOLMES

ah

specific question BETTER FOCUS
general question lack off

see a card despite it;s meaning can mean a big thing when we start getting inuitive without a context to apply it to
thus we asked a qyestion there fore the energy we are getting appplies to the question

for a life reading or a a chakra spread i do ask for a specific question so i can relae all aspects that the spreads has for the question

Trogon

Oops

I just re-read my original post on this and realized that I forgot to include something. I had meant to mention the fact that I do BOTH kinds of readings, but was looking for input and insight from the rest of you. Ah well... one of those age-related moments I guess... :|

Thank you all for your replies so far... Really expanding my horizons here at AT.

Trogon

Keigh

general readings

I find that general readings, in which there is no focus such as there would be in a general relationship or career reading, work well with the Celtic Cross. I usually use these when someone is at a milestone (or stock taking) moment such as birthdays or new years for example.

Generally, I find that these "general readings" almost always have a theme. Whatever actual concerns or thoughts were uppermost in the querent's mind seem form the focus of the reading. (The cards know...even when the querent and the reader don't!) It always amazes people when the cards speak to their issues when they didn't tell you what those issues were! In these cases, I usually suggest they opt for a focused reading on the issue in question and work with them to create a defined question.

(edit: actually, it's the sub-conscious speaking through the cards...so I should say, the unconscious knows when the conscious doesn't or is in denial).

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Keigh

OakDragon

I think both types of questions can be useful, personally. It's wanting a specific answer but asking a general question that really gets one into trouble. This usually comes from not knowing precisely what the question should be. It's best to make sure that it's ok for the answers to really be general before asking a general question. Its easy to confuse a desire for a general overview of the situation with uncertainty as to what the situation is.

Zephyros

I prefer general readings ar first, especially when I read for some one for the first time. Then, as time goes on, if they come back to me, then I allow myself to read on more specific subjects. But as things go, I read for a specific subject sometimes, just a quick reading, only a few cards.