my new way of looking at reversals

Keslynn

I've been working with reversals for a while, and I could quite easily spout off the meanings that I gathered from books, etc. However, I finally synthesized my own view of what reversals mean, and I wanted to share with you all. This is probably not a new way of looking at this issue, but I'm still proud of it. ;) Here goes:

If the reading is a river in which one card flows into another in a sort of story, then a reversal is an eddy. It calls attention to that particular card. Since the regular cards flow smoothly, those things require less effort to come into being. But reversals are not so straightforward. They offer a choice. The choice is to move either forward or backwards (not placing a value judgement on direction). In other words, you can choose to go back to the card before it or to go to the one next in number. For example, you get the 2 of Swords in a reading. This offers a choice to go back to the potential of the Ace and to deal with it in perhaps a different way. Or you can move forward to the 3 which will cause pain but ultimately enlightenment. Either way, the querent will no longer be stuck on the blocked 2 energy.

So far this method has been working for me in my readings, in majors as well as minors. For 10 cards, you can go back to the 9 or to the Ace. The only thing it doesn't really work for is the court cards. In the case of a reversed court card, I see it (as Janina Renee outlined in Tarot for a New Generation) as someone who is not comfortable acting out a particular role, or a part of you that is not comfortable.

So that's my theory on reversals. I'm still working with it. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

:) Kes

Thirteen

I like the idea of reversals being a "stop" in the flow. Reversals certainly have that feel. And I think, absolutely, that you're dead on in the blockage of energy. Really excellent thoughts. The only thing I'm not sure of (for myself that is) that the way to "unblock" the energy by moving forward or back WITHIN THE SUIT. Or, more to the point, I'm only uncertain about those being the ONLY ways to escape the eddy.

Here's an example: you've got, um, let's say present and near future cards. Present is 5/Cups. Future is 2/Swords reversed. So, in present time, the person is focused on something they did wrong causing emotional pain--lets say, they hurt a loved one, and they just can't get over that they did this. The future is the 2/Swords reversed.

Now if we interpet Swords as "words" and interpet that 2/swords as an inablity to find the right words to heal the emotional harm--that in the near future the querent won't know what to say to the person he harmed, and the loved one, waiting for him to make the first move, won't to speak to him, then your conclusion actually does work. To move forward, be able to get back on speaking terms with the person, the querent either needs to start all over again, fresh (ace) or allow that person to lash out at him (the querent) with venomous, hurtful words--to let the loved on yell at him and get out the poison (3).

The only problem here is that it ignores a third answer: to extend and elaborate on your metaphor, what if reversals are less eddies then just running aground? The boat is ashore and somehow you've got to push it back into the darn river? This opens the "getting unstuck" problem to a new solution--that of an opposite suit. So, let's say that reversed 2/swords means our querent can't find the right words to apologize and make this emotional (5/cups) situation right again--so the way to unstick himself is not to use more words (swords) and/or emotion (cups) but to grab a stick (wand) and a rock (pentacles) and lever the boat up and back into the river. Thus, my advise to this querent might be: "Actions speak louder than words." So, in order to apologize, the querent shouldn't even try to use words, but rather go to the lover they've harmed with a dozen roses in hand--and a willingness to let that loved one take a punch at them :D That kind of thing.

Great discussion topic by the way. Reversals are difficult and you've got me really thinking about them now. Nicely thought out.

WolfSpirit

I never thought of reversals like that, but it sounds like a lot of sense to me ! Thanks for posting this you both.
I will try it out, I'm not very experienced in reversals yet but I really like this approach.

Pollux

WOW Thirteen! Great theory and example! I LOVE IT! :D
And, Kesmit, also your post, WOW! You must have been working on that for a while! :)
I really enjoyed your posts. Nothing to add right now... :rolleyes:

Lee

Couldn't Court cards be done in the same way as the number cards, that is, a reversed Queen could have the option of going back to the single-minded focus of the Knight, or ahead to the take-charge attitude of the King? A King reversed could then have the option of going back to the Queen or forward to the Page.

Great thread!

-- Lee

starfish66

Oh you guys, what an awesome thread! I love your take on looking at reversals, Kes! And I always learn so much from Thirteen and Lee :D

I've been working on reversals lately and this thread couldn't have come at a more timely occasion.

:TQC Starfish

emily2otters

oh, heck. first you guys convince me to use reversals, then you convince me i don't need them, then you start waving these delicious theories about reversals in my face... what's a girl to do? *heaves a world-weary sigh* i guess it's back to the old cut-and-twist shuffle again...

Keslynn

*lol* Poor emily! I was about to give up reading reversals for a while but then one day this idea slapped me across the face.

And thanks so much for the input! Like I said, I'm still working this out so, Thirteen and Lee, I am definitely mulling over your excellent insights.

:) Kes

catlin

*catlin bowing in reverance to Kes and Thirteen*

Jewel

emily2otters said:
oh, heck. first you guys convince me to use reversals, then you convince me i don't need them, then you start waving these delicious theories about reversals in my face... what's a girl to do? *heaves a world-weary sigh* i guess it's back to the old cut-and-twist shuffle again...

Emily, you are welcome to do as I do if you wish. What do I do you ask? I use reversals for some decks and don't use them for others ... I am not joking!