Help please :(

little_darlinn

I'm trying to learn how to interpret the cards. I have the Thoth deck, and I'm not too sure how to interpret them, the dignities and such. I've skimmed through the Thoth Study Groups, but I didn't see one about that. Can someone please direct me to the correct thread for help?? That would be MUCH appreciated. :)

starrystarrynight

Oh, the Thoth is a powerful deck, but it's pretty difficult for someone just learning because the images often don't foster as much intuition as many other decks do (IMO.)

Is it possible for you to get a Rider-Waite type deck to learn with...one with powerful images to which you may better respond from a gut level? I like suggesting the Rider-Waite, Robin Wood, Gilded Tarot, etc. (and other members here will suggest others, I'm sure) for beginners because you can look at the pictures on the cards and tell yourself a story about them. Then, when you place two cards next to one another, you can formulate a story about how the two cards react/interact with each other.

That's how I learned to read cards. I told myself stories about the pictures. Then later, I picked up some books to see how others saw the cards and began to incorporate those "meanings" into how I read. Elemental dignities came much later--for me--and many people don't use them at all. Others don't read with reversals, either. But that all comes after figuring out what the individual cards say to you...which, like I said, I think is easier to learn if your deck has concrete images on each card.

The Thoth, to me, is very geometric in design (which also contributes to the cards' meanings) but makes it more difficult to learn to read with. IMO

Muir Aingeal

I think you can read with them. I'm a beginner and this is my favorite deck! I must say it took some doing though! I accquired a book that has helped me along titled "The Crowley Tarot" the handbook to the cards by Akron & Banzhaf. Another good book is Lon Duquettes's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" I don't have that one yet but it is on my list.

There are easier decks for a beginner that is for sure but if you want to keep with the Thoth I would get the books along with the book of thoth. There is a website where you can read the book of thoth online but I don't have that link right now.

But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable with Thoth can help you out more then I can!

little_darlinn

Thank You

This deck was a gift from my father and I really want to learn this one. And since the RW decks are altogether diff from the thoth, I figure I will learn with these. It will just take some work and time. LOL Thank you for the encouragement and advice. It is very nice of yall.

:)

And good luck with it MollyKate.

wytchwood

little_darlinn said:
I'm trying to learn how to interpret the cards. I have the Thoth deck, and I'm not too sure how to interpret them, the dignities and such. I've skimmed through the Thoth Study Groups, but I didn't see one about that. Can someone please direct me to the correct thread for help?? That would be MUCH appreciated. :)

I'm sure there are loads of threads on it, but to save you trolling through (who knows how long that would take?) I will briefly explain dignities here.

The suits are 'hostile' to their opposite suits and 'friendly' to the same suit whilst remaining neutral to other suits. This is determined by the element.

Wands=fire are opposite to Cups=Water
Swords=air are opposite to Discs=Earth

A card in a spread next to one of the opposite suit should be read as 'ill-dignified' which is similar in nature to 'reversed' readings. It basically either weakens the meaning or puts a negative slant on it according to the context, and the card.

Obviously, a card surrounded by it's opposite suit would seem to be particularly ill-dignified. Cards of the same suit near each other strengthen the interpretation and add weight to it. Cards in between two opposing suits are not much affected by either card.

Cards which are neither opposite or the same suits do not have their dignity affected adversely or otherwise and are affected only by the meanings of it's neighbouring cards, not by the dignity.

Does this make sense? Hope it helps anyway.

Zoe xx

Moonbow

Moderator Note

Welcome to Aeclectic little_darlinn,

I'll move this over the the Thoth forum so that you can get more specific help with this deck.

Moonbow*

MikeTheAltarboy

I'm going to disagree that Thoth is any harder to learn than any other, or any harder on intuition. It just depends, perhaps, your personality types. In the RWS, you get more *people* in the pip cards *doing* things, but in the Thoth you get *words*. Words can be combined into a story too!!

The supertarot site recommended is great. Check it out!

wytchwood

I agree, there's no reason why a beginner cannot use the Thoth, nor do I think it's any harder to read with. Different people may or may not click with this or that deck. I think some people think that decks with a lot of layers of symbolism are too complicated for beginners, but you don't need to understand inside out why Crowley chose this or that image or association to be able to read with the deck, just a basic understanding of the meanings is needed as with any deck. The deeper layers can be explored as you go.

Zoe xx

little_darlinn

Encouragement

Thanks for all the encouragement. I was/am still a little daunted by the Thoth. LOL But at least I know I have a place I can come to with all my questions.

Everyone here seems so nice, and I thank you all for your input. I truly appreciate it.

:D