5 of Pentacles in basically every position for a relationship

crimsonmoon

Doing a reading for a friend about a former romance that now looks officially dead, although they are maintaining (or trying to) a platonic friendship. (The break up was more about logistics/timing than anything else, so there are no hard feelings, betrayals, etc.)

So I did a few readings with a few different spreads and didn't come up with anything particularly insightful. (Not the right time, you've both been through a time of difficulty, etc.) Basically, all things she and I already knew. One thing that jumped out at me though was that the 5 of pents kept coming up in a variety of ways -- how he feels, her best course of action, what she should expect in the future, etc.

My best interpretation of this is that even the friendship is going to fizzle and die and when it comes to him, she'll be left out in the cold just like the card's illustration. But that doesn't seem supported by the other cards in the other readings. Nor does it really fit what we know of the situation.

Curious if anyone has an alternate meaning or interpretation for that 5 of P that would make more sense.

AnemoneRosie

The two need each other in some way. Without the other there's a sense of isolation, and being alone. They're the only ones who can understand this aspect of the other, and bring it comfort. That said, that doesn't mean that it's easy on them to have this common bond. It can be wearing and draining. It might risk them further isolation within the rest of their respective circles. This card is warning them that, while they need each other, they need distance from the other, too.

crimsonmoon

The two need each other in some way. Without the other there's a sense of isolation, and being alone. They're the only ones who can understand this aspect of the other, and bring it comfort. That said, that doesn't mean that it's easy on them to have this common bond. It can be wearing and draining. It might risk them further isolation within the rest of their respective circles. This card is warning them that, while they need each other, they need distance from the other, too.

That is a really interesting take, thank you! They have both said in the past that they feel like they just "get" each other, an almost karmic bond. (I would call it karmic, personally, but neirht of them would use that phrase in general.) I think this is a really interesting way to look at it.

CrystalSeas

In one older tradition, the 5 of Pentacles is called the 'marriage' card.

It is said to depict the marriage vows: "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part".

Barleywine

I've always considered the 5 of Pentacles a stressful card, like all the Fives. But I was poking around in Bill Butler's Dictionary of the Tarot and noticed he had an interpretation from Paul Foster Case in it: "concordance, affinity, adaptation." I wasn't aware that Case had published anything on the Minor Arcana, so I went looking in my BOTA correspondence course material for something along those lines. It appears that Butler took his listing in part from Case's material titled "Meanings of the Numerical Signs." Here is an excerpt for the Fives (apparently applicable to each suit after its own manner of expression):

"5. Mediation (an idea suggested by the fact that 5 is the middle term in the series of signs from 1 to 9.); adaptation; intervention; adjustment; hence Justice; accommodation; reconciliation . . ."

This supports the possibility of some kind of rapprochement between the couple. The fact that it's Pentacles and not Cups or Wands suggests that it will be a relatively "low voltage" connection as far as emotional enthusiasm.

crimsonmoon

In one older tradition, the 5 of Pentacles is called the 'marriage' card.

It is said to depict the marriage vows: "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part".

Fascinating! I never heard that.

So, while acknowledging that you don't have the full spread/readings to give a fuller picture, in this case would you read it as a literal marriage, or a more spiritual marriage where they will be there for each other thru thick and thin, but not actually married? (In all honesty, I could see either, given what I know of the two people.)

crimsonmoon

I've always considered the 5 of Pentacles a stressful card, like all the Fives. But I was poking around in Bill Butler's Dictionary of the Tarot and noticed he had an interpretation from Paul Foster Case in it: "concordance, affinity, adaptation." I wasn't aware that Case had published anything on the Minor Arcana, so I went looking in my BOTA correspondence course material for something along those lines. It appears that Butler took his listing in part from Case's material titled "Meanings of the Numerical Signs." Here is an excerpt for the Fives (apparently applicable to each suit after its own manner of expression):

"5. Mediation (an idea suggested by the fact that 5 is the middle term in the series of signs from 1 to 9.); adaptation; intervention; adjustment; hence Justice; accommodation; reconciliation . . ."

This supports the possibility of some kind of rapprochement between the couple. The fact that it's Pentacles and not Cups or Wands suggests that it will be a relatively "low voltage" connection as far as emotional enthusiasm.

Interesting -- thanks so much for the info. Also supports some of the other comments. Def. gives me something to chew on if we do further readings on this topic. Thanks again.

tapasr_57772aeb7

I just bought one of Case's Tarot books, and he mentioned that the light was on the inside, and the profane are left out. Brilliant observation.

Trogon

I tend to feel that the 5 of Pentacles is a card of separation. Usually, either one side keeping the other out, or the other side intentionally turning their back on the other.

In the case you're describing, my thought went to more of the "one side keeping the other out". It may not be intentional, and it may be a feeling on both sides but that's what I'm feeling. To expand on it a little; I picture one person (call them "person1") perhaps finding a new partner and because of the new relationship, they just aren't seeing "person2" as much. In fact, if person1 tells their new partner about what went on with person2, the new partner may feel uncomfortable with person1 spending time with person2 at all. This would, of course, put even more distance between them, in spite of any promises to stay friends.

[ETA] And of course, there's no real way for me to have a feeling for when the separation might occur, could be sooner, could be later. It could just be a matter of them drifting apart from one another.

kika_meow

I agree with AnemoneRosie!