Who is HRU?

Grigori

I've been googling a bit, trying to find out more about HRU, the angel the GD saw as presiding over the tarot (among other things). It seems unclear where this angel came from, and even what the name really means. Is it HRU as in Heru or Horus, the egyptian god. Is it an acronym for a longer name? It seems there is also a HRU in the enochian system, a fairly minor angel apparently.

It's striking to me that the GD would create/invent/assign an angel to the tarot, who doesn't have much history or mythology behind it. Seems there would be plenty of other options available that are much more attractive and more in keeping with their usual methods.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Anyone with experiences with HRU?

Aeon418

I can't recall HRV being explained anywhere within the Golden Dawn literature. Although it is used in several places like the Consecration of the Vault of the Adepti.

Book T begins with a partial quote from Revelation.
Rev 5: Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?"
HRV - Heh Resh Vau. Revealer of the Solar Wisdom?

H, the letter of Revelation. Secrets.

RV is the old root meaning Yoni and hence Wheel (Fr. roue, Lat. rota, wheel) and the corresponding Semitic root means "to go".

I invoke thee IAO that thou wilt send HRU the great angel
IAO = Tiphareth. HRV is an angel of Tiphareth.
It should, by the way, be noted that the name Heru is identical with Hru, who is the great Angel set over the Tarot. This new Tarot may therefore be regarded as a series of illustrations to the Book of the Law; the doctrine of that Book is everywhere implicit.
Heru-Ra-Ha. Lord of the Aeon of Horus. Symbol of the HGA.

Grigori

Thanks Aeon that is really useful.

zhark

Wow.
Thanks Aeon418

zhark

Aeon418 said:
IAO = Tiphareth. HRV is an angel of Tiphareth..
This confused me a little

Chic Cicero’s Book Self-Inititiation into the G.D Chapter the Divine Names Attributed to the Sephiroth:
Godname: YHVH ELOAH VE-DAATH
Archangel: RAPHAEL
Angelic Choir: Melekim

Regardie write in the Chapter Fire Centre (Tiphareth) from her Book Art of True Healing:
Here vibrate the name Jehovah Eloah ve-Daas, pronounced as Yuh-hoh-voh Eh-loh ve-Dah-ahs. Take care that the intonation vibrates well within the formulated white sphere. If this is done, at once a radiation of warmth will be felt to emanate from the centre, gently stimulating all the parts and organs about it. Some students have complained that the above divine name is unduly long and difficult to pronounce. After some experimentation, I have substituted the Gnostic name IAO for the Hebrew word. Both are attributed, qabalistically, to the Sephirah of Tiphareth on the Tree of Life, and so are equally valid. I have found it to be every bit as effective as the Hebrew name, and in my own practice of this meditation I have permanently substituted the one for the other

Is perhaps the Gnostic IAO (from the Obssesion of Johannes?) a Godname for Tiphareth and HRV one Angel from the Angelic Choir Melekim?
Or/are two ore more "different" Systems (Hebrew/Gnostic, Thelema/G.D, Knight of Spheres/Horus) with "the same" Energy?

Aeon418

zhark said:
Is perhaps the Gnostic IAO (from the Obssesion of Johannes?) a Godname for Tiphareth and HRV one Angel from the Angelic Choir Melekim?
Or/are two ore more "different" Systems (Hebrew/Gnostic, Thelema/G.D, Knight of Spheres/Horus) with "the same" Energy?
Sorry zhark, I didn't see your reply.

In the Golden Dawn tradition the name IAO encapsulated the solar cycle of life, death, and resurrection. This cycle was expressed through the individual letters of IAO in the analysis of the keyword, INRI.
I.N.R.I.
Yod. Nun. Resh. Yod.
Virgo, Isis, Mighty Mother.
Scorpio, Apophis, Destroyer.
Sol, Osiris, Slain and Risen.
Isis, Apophis, Osiris, IAO
It's this focus on the solar resurrection cycle that distinguishes it from the divine name of Tiphareth, IHVH ALVH VDOTh. (Although IAV is a notariqon of that name.)

zhark

Hello Aeon418
Aeon418 said:
In the Golden Dawn tradition the name IAO encapsulated the solar cycle of life, death, and resurrection. This cycle was expressed through the individual letters of IAO in the analysis of the keyword, INRI.
is - Yod. Aleph. Vav. - are correct for IAO?

Found now (after your reply) some about this in the G.D Adeptus Minor Ritual and in Book Thoth
Chapters:
The Tarot and the Elements
The Numbers of the Planets (DIAGRAM 5.)
The Elements and their Symbols (DIAGRAM 6.)

Especially like the follow writings from Crowley (Number of the Planets), that remember me to the hinduism Advaita Philosophie

The "formula of the dying god", (IAO) as this is usually called, does actually exist, but it represents a stage in human development which is now past as far as external theology is concerned. It has a sort of shadowy validity in psycho logy; for instance, in taking up a new task of any importance, one begins very pleasantly, the period ot Isis; the task becomes tedious and baffling, one begins to despair, the period of Apophis; then suddenly the subject is mastered and one comes to a triumphant conclusion, the period of Osiris.
But the whole of this formula depends upon ignorance of the laws of nature; there is in fact no catastrophe. Natura non facit saltum; all change proceeds with perfect order, ease and harmony. It is the great task set before mankind at the present moment to realize, and therefore to adjust, means of action to the facts of the case, thus preventing the illusion of catastrophe by eliminating the element of surprise. It is of course also of supreme importance to eliminate that prejudiced desire which is the poison of will, "For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect".

However that may be, in any case:
Many thanks Aeon418 your answer/writings are very helpfull

t.town.troy

Thanks for the insight Aeon418. I might have to "hit the books" and try working some basic gematria on HRV.

I actually came looking for info on HUA, so I'll start a new thread.

graspee

zhark said:
Regardie write in the Chapter Fire Centre (Tiphareth) from her Book Art of True Healing:

No offence intended, and just for your information in case this wasn't a slip, Israel Regardie was male.