-larger- spreads

ilvapleuvoir

you know, i started out using celtic cross, mainly because it's the one in all the books and everywhere, and because i could get a good reading done for someone before the end of lunch, but it really isn't in depth enough for me. the spread i use now is the romani one, which is excellent and has worked perfectly for me. this is it, here:

21 20 19 18 17 16 15
14 13 12 11 10 9 8
7 6 5 4 3 2 1

the bottom line is the past, the middle is the present, and the top is the probable future. the three cards down the middle correspond to the most important event or aspect of that time....so, 4 is the most important thing from the past, 11 the most important for the present etc. cards to the left or right of each other relate...so card 1 might relate to card 2, card 4 might relate to cards 3 and 5... the cards on the ends are less important. As i've used this spread, the cards tend to go chronologically from right to left, number one being the first and most distant past. One time i gave a reading and it was something that had happened about a month ago-another time it was a fight this kid had been in his eighth grade year...it's different all the time. Also, each group of cards, at least for me, almost ~always~ have a court card/major coupled with a minor or two to help you read them. The ones down the middle are virtually always majors. this spread tends to work wonderfully, and i like the amount of cards. you should definitely give it a try.
so i was wondering. is there anyone else who thinks that the celtic cross has too few cards? after using the romani so much, it seems so bare-bones to only have one card for everything, with the romani you can have two or three for every concept and get everything worked out in such great detail...does anyone else use big spreads? i would really like to add some more to my own little repertoire here, because as good as the romani is, it'd be nice to know some more. i'm looking specifically for twenty to thirty card spreads. *nods* lol, cheers

Jenny-Li

Now that's what I call a BIG spread...!

Actually I've sometimes thought the way you do about the CC - only one card for each position can fell very shallow at times, even though you always have the option to do a clarifying spread, or draw some extra cards... It's just not the same.

On the other hand, I think 10-12 cards is as much as I can handle right now, I think I might get confused trying to read 21 cards at a time...! Not to mentioned how tired - I did a 12-card spread the other week, and the reading itself took 2 hours, and I was just washed out afterwards...! :) I will keep this though - someday, I might try it out!

Thanks!
Light and love,
Jenny :)

ilvapleuvoir

eh, yeah...i had a book which showed one excellent spread which was almost all the deck, lol...but i lost the book. i guess that's what comes from lending your stuff to fifteen million different people at once...*shrugs*

cricket

ooo... big spreads... Those are fun! My favorite is the Romani Star, which was in the book accompanying the Buckland Romani deck. It uses 20 cards and a significator.

***18*****7*****17
******14**3**13
10**6**2**S***1**5**9
******15**4**16
***19*****8*****20

Shuffle and cut the deck into 2 stacks, taking the top and bottom of each stack and setting them aside (these will be cards 17-20). Shuffle, cut, and deal as usual. Cards 1 and 2 are laid sideways, 3, 4, 5 & 6 as usual, 7, 8, 9 & 10 sideways, 11 & 12 as usual. 13, 14, 15 & 16 are laid out diagonally, like rays of the sun, 17, 18, 19 & 20 making a sort of T with them. (see pic attached)

The cards are read in pairs, the first two pairs being the most significant, the rest coming out from those in a story. The last two pairs are a summary of the story.
First pair: 1 & 2
2nd pair: 3 & 4
3rd pair: 5 & 9
4th pair: 6 & 10
5th pair: 7 & 11
6th pair: 8 & 12
7th pair: 13 & 15
8th pair: 14 &16
9th pair: 17 & 19
last pair: 18 & 20

I personally deal all the cards face up except the last four. These are dealt out facedown, the pairs being turned when I get to them, so they won't color the rest of the reading and make it what I think should fit in with the summary.

Attachments

• romanistar.gif
    romanistar.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,245

Liliana

Doing a large spread would be fun,but using the Rohrig itd probably take up the entire bed lol

:THP

cricket

The whole bed?? When I do the big ones like this, I clear all the furniture out of the living room and and up with cards all over the whole floor! ;) It doesn't seem to matter what deck I use, they just take over. Sort of like that movie, The Blob. They just grow and expand and... })

Liliana

Well Ive got toddlers, so unless I want them eaten, peed upon, or other nasty things they need to stay off the floor ;)

Sounds like youd like my throw the entire deck into the air and read the face up cards method lol

:THP

cricket

I've got a couple of those myself. Just wait til after the little ones' bedtime.... and suffer from lack of sleep! :D

Hmm.... Toss the whole deck, huh? Would one do this blindfolded, or with the back turned? All at once, or one card at a time? hmmm... *goes to look through her decks, wondering which one might work best* }):D})

ilvapleuvoir

sounds like a plan.

*drumroll*
AAaaand for my next trick, the celtic cross, in midair!

Lee

Re: sounds like a plan.

ilvapleuvoir said:
*drumroll*
AAaaand for my next trick, the celtic cross, in midair!

LOL, that was a good one, ilvapleuvoir! :D

I don't think large spreads need to be intimidating. I think it helps of you go less in-depth on each card than you would for a three-card spread, and concentrate instead on combining simpler interpretations of groups of cards.

-- Lee