Visconti Pierpont-Morgan Le Bateleur/Magician

Rosanne

Glad you have enjoyed the read TCO. I have always tried to find the reason that things have been portrayed historically. There is usually something vague that ties in with today- but a circuitous, torturous, path to find the connections. As a child I was a Child of Mary with my blue cloak and stupid straw hat. I had no idea why the hat- and it was typical of me to ask - and the Nuns just made up stuff because they did not really know either- just these long distant symbolic things that are hang overs. I do agree with Kwaw though- the image is not very Magician/Bateleur/Juggler- but I can see how the cards may have become personal decks- but still using a card sequence pattern- from maybe a woodblock version. After all, this is what is done today and voila we have a Druidcraft Tarot for example. I do not think the Visconti were the first Tarot. I try not to be to boring either with screeds of technical stuff- which can be read in books- so I agree with frelkins- with the proviso that this is not a university degree course.
~Rosanne

Abrac

I started doing a little research tonight and found an interesting picture of Luna. Notice her left hand. Although this image shows her with the bow & arrows and hunting dog (symbols usually associated with Diana), Luna and Diana were technically different goddesses- Luna being and earlier form. She normally isn't depicted with the trappings of the "huntress."

Rosanne

Are those snakes Abrac? or pieces of rope? What do you think?
~Rosanne

Abrac

They do look like snakes, but personally I see them as symbolizing reins for a couple of reasons. In each of the smaller images she has reins in one hand. Her other hand appears to have something different in each one; a torch in one but the others aren't as clear. The reins seem to be a consistent feature of Luna's depiction. The same is true for her Greek counterpart Selene. One source I have (Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology) says she is also depicted mounted on a horse, mule or bull. I haven't been able to find any of these depictions yet and I'm only assuming there are reins involved. This along with what look to me like reins in the Visconti Moon make me think they are in fact reins, but the jury's still out. :)

Edit to Add: In the Mantegna Luna card, she is depicted riding across the sky with a crescent in her right hand the reins of her steeds in her left, very similar to the Visconti Moon, though in the Visconti she's not in her chariot of course. I'll post a picture of the Mantegna tomorrow when I get a chance.

kwaw

Melanchollic said:
I agree. He is rather ambiguous.

Comparing his clothing to the other characters, he is certainly more colorful than the others, making me think he is some sort of performer.

While his red clothes over green underclothes certainly appear festive it doesn't strike me as the red green motley costume of a juggler, he also looks rather serious.

Another 15th century 'luxury' deck, the D'Este, definitely shows us a juggler, as do all the surviving 15th century woodcut sheets, so I'd assume that our Visconti fellow here is a juggler too.

The fact that other decks clearly display the figure behind the table in the dress of a jester with the accoutrements of a juggler on his table does not make the VS figure a juggler, any more than it makes him a cobbler (as the figure is in some later decks). He shares with them the concept of a person at a table with the accoutrements of his (indeterminate) profession.

frelkins said:
The Visconti mountebank clearly displays the paraphernalia for all these common amusements on his table.

Although you read into the VS figures table implements a clear representation of a jugglers paraphernalis; I think in fact they are rather more ambiguous. Rosanne for example sees textiles and a measuring yardstick, making the possible profession of our figure a textile merchant for example.

I see a figure holding a pointed reed in the manner of a pen, with a knife to keep it sharp and a container for ink, and some indeterminate objects, making a figure possible a scribe, or a banker, or a tutor. The identification of profession may then lead to speculations as to the identity of the indeterminate objects.

If a tutor I might for example speculate, somewhat wildly in some peoples opinion, that the white mass is cake, the ink honey, the tutor inscribing the letters of the alphabet on little cakes of bread, a common custom for the initiation of little ones into education at the time, that they may find letters sweet on their tongue and open their hearts to the word; the consumption of learning being spurred on by the reward of sweets in childhood, is rewarded by the spur of esteem for eloquence in adulthood .

Whether magician, cobbler, banker, merchant, scribe or tutor; we have a person at table laid out with the wares of his profession, the skills and goods by which he earns a living, makes his pennies, his bagatto. An everyman, as descendant of Adam, who toils for his living after the fall.

Rosanne

I did not know that about the honey and the cakes Kwaw!

My personal reason for him not been a usual Bateleur as in the TdM, the Cary Yale sheet etc is the fact he has very definite Ermine trim on his attire. That speaks of something other than a performer.
Secondly this deck is very personal to the Sforza family and shows people with associated History to that family, by use of heraldic devices and landscape that seems also associated- like the possible Certosa of Pavia on the world card- So I see an album of family History, some alluding to time and date, and some physical likeness- for example the Emperor looks more like Sigismund than any other Emperor.

I find anything that gives me insight to Tarot History fascinating- and like all images of that time and earlier- it is still art and is not a photo, and allows for wondering. No pope I ever saw in a painting of wore the Heraldic devices outside of Papal insignia- it is the imagining of displaying a Pope with association to the Visconti/Sforza family in an artistic way. They could all be playing dress ups for family entertainment for all I know.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

I have spoken of this before- There are 12 of the figures on white plinths or platforms. The other 26 cards show the characters on grass. This makes these 12 cards special? I have tried to find the answer and I have not found anything to give a reasonable answer.
Four Queens
Four Kings
Emperor/Empress Pope/Papesse.
I cannot see that it is planetary or astrological.
Anybody have any ideas?
~Rosanne

kwaw

Rosanne said:
I did not know that about the honey and the cakes Kwaw!

Considering that he is, in his red and green and ermine trimmed hat, dressed up perhaps for a festival, why not indeed a festival cake. It is of course traditional for festive cakes to be inscribed; a tradition that has its roots in magic, in consuming the cake, one also ingested the word, the spell, and internalised the wishes upon it.

quote:

"While the Twelfth Night customs that spread throughout Europe were subject to numerous variations, one element transcended virtually every culture that observed the holiday: the choice of a mock king for the occasion. "The way he was chosen might vary," Henisch explains, "but it was always a matter of chance and good fortune: lots could be drawn or, in the most widespread convention, a cake would be divided. The person who found a bean, or a coin, in his piece was the lucky king for the night. Sometimes he picked his own queen, sometimes chance chose her for him, and a pea secreted in the cake conferred the honor on its finder. The temporary change in status was sustained with ceremony; the king was given a crown, the authority to call the toasts and lead the drinking and, sometimes, the more dubious privilege of paying the bill on the morning after.

"Cake and King were thus linked together as good-luck charms for the coming year. The cake, the bean and the pea were emblems of fertility and harvest, health and prosperity.... His [the King's] brief reign spanned the turn from one year to the next, and in his topsy-turvy kingdom conventions were triumphantly defied. Inhibitions were forgotten, characters changed, everyday restraints relaxed. The harsh certainties of life were softened in a haze of alcohol and high spirits."

http://www.mardigrasunmasked.com/mardigras/king_cake.htm

For Moakley this figure represented the Carnival King; however, as the one dividing the 'cake' perhaps we may see him as more, like the magician Merlin, king-maker.

Perhaps then the name Bagatto we could take in the instance of this reading as referring to the bagati, a coin of small value, the finder of which hidden in the cake fortune shall make king. Our figure we can then relate to the later figure of the bateleur as a sort of games master or lord of chance.

Whatever the truth of the matter, I like the idea of a cake. What better way to begin, than with sweet bread and cup; a piece of cake and a drink being traditional accompaniments in many cultures through many times of those special occassions that mark the passages of our lives from birth to death.

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, until thou return unto the earth whence thou wast take: for earth thou art, and unto earth shalt thou return.

kwaw

kwaw said:
For Moakley this figure represented the Carnival King; however, as the one dividing the 'cake' perhaps we may see him as more, like the magician Merlin, king-maker.

The tutors of the courts children, as well as pedagogues and translators, were also employed as games masters and entertainments secretary, poet, playwright and producer of processional events and festivals. As a tutor to princes, we may also think of our poet - pedagogue as a king maker, and as one who prepares the the children of the nobility (male and female) for a role of civic duty.

kwaw

kwaw said:

quote:
"The lowest of the trumps...is the Carnival King, Bagatino (Quarterpenny). The procession of triumphs which he leads is taking him to his own execution. The card shows Bagatino on the last day of the Carnival, when he is having his last meal. He is still dressed in holiday rad and green, and has in his left hand the simple rod which is the sign of royal office. His right hand hovers uncertainly over a covered dish, which is the white with touches of gray. We see by this how he became the Little Juggler of the later commedia dell'arte. That dish-cover offers many opportunities for cleverly "nervous" comic juggling. In the modern tarocchi Bagatino is often a juggler or conjuror, and his kingly rod becomes a magician's wand.

"Before the Carnival King is executed, he is first given a trial, and accused of keeping people up late and making them drunk. Often a personfication of Lent accompanies the procession to be sure that King Carnival gets his just deserts."

end quote from
Moakley The Tarot Cards Painted by Bembo p.62

Michael Hurst on his site discusses Moakley concept of carnival / lent:

She notes that the “delights of the joust and the tourney were kept for the festival times, when religion was forgotten or at least temporarily in the background”. Writing about courtly love, ostentatious pageants, chivalrous knights, and the like, she observes that “the writers of chivalrous literature knew well enough that their work was basically un-Christian.” This is precisely the context in which she places the trumps as well.

As much as people loved their romances, their cards, and their tourneys, they realized inwardly that these pleasures were not quite in keeping with the devout life. After a gay and exhausting Carnival, the exuberant Italians really welcomed Lent as a chance to rest from the festive season and to prove to themselves that they really were Christians at heart. They brought their vanities (including their playing-cards) to be burned in the bonfires at the beginning of Lent with an honest spirit of aspiring to sanctity. (Page 37.)

This ambivalence and mixing of vanities and sanctity is the essence of the Carnival/Lent cycle, and the cultural sensibilities that cycle epitomized. Moakley opens her study with an “Undocumented Prelude”. This presents an imagined Milanese procession on the last day of Carnival, taking place before Duke Francesco Sforza and Duchess Bianca Maria, as well as assembled crowds. In that introduction to her study, she provides a feeling for the kind of sensibilities implied by her theory, while introducing many of her specific interpretations.

One of the most compelling identifications Moakley provides in support of her theory deals directly to this Carnival/Lent cycle. The Mountebank, lowest of the trumps, is identified as the Carnival King himself, and the singular Fool is interpreted as the personification Lent. She discusses the unique iconography of these cards in the Visconti-Sforza deck, explaining the anomalies in terms of these meanings. And she describes their role in the pageant.

If we imagine the Fool, the representative of Lent, running alongside the procession and calling his warnings to the riders in the cards, we can assume that they talked back to him. Happy bits of repartee would please the crowd and encourage the actors to do even better. Finally the representative of Lent might invite King Carnival to leave the safety of his car and fight like a man. Then we would have a scene such as Breughel shows us in his painting “The Battle between Carnival and Lent”.... (Page 58.)

end quote from:
http://www.geocities.com/cartedatrionfi/Misc/Moakley.html

Folly is more a deification of carnival than lent, but possible in the figure of folly overcome, sans meat, can be seen as Moakley suggests, a figure of Lent.

In the Schifanoia image of the first decan of Aries is a bedraggled figure holding the torn end of a rope wrapped round his waist - possibly meant to represent lent.

See first image here:

http://www.tarot.org.il/Decans/

It is under a larger representation of a palio related to the season of Lent; palio races were held as part of the festivals – including as part of the carnival prior to Lent. The loser of the major horse race 'won' a side of pork. A great win to celebrate the end of Lent you may think for who was after all the 'loser'. However the ham was tied round the losers waist and he had to run through the streets home to keep it, and everyone would make a grab for the ham; not only would he end up losing the ham but most if not all of clothes (and dignity) too! The 'taking away of his meat' at the end of carnival (meaning - to take away meat) instituted the start of Lent.

I have difficulty however in seeing the figure of the VS Bagatto as a carnival king at his last supper; more as the master of the lottery upon which the election of the carnival king is decided. However, in the later comedia dell'arte the carnival king, bagatto, is named after the bagatto, the coin in the cake, whose finder becomes the king; here indeed the election, elector and electee has merged into one.