Define Professional Tarot Reader?

mimiraj

These words have been used quite often and now wonder just what is the definition of a Professional Tarot Reader? I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not. :confused: In the world of dog shows anyone that has ever been paid to show a dog or received any type of compensation is now regarded as a professional handler. Is it the same with Professional Tarot Readers? Sorry but that was the only comparison I could think of. :grin:
mimiraj

Herzog

That's the technical definition of any all things "professional"; getting paid.

But there are fine lines and other things to consider such as, level of professionalism. Most people are part time professionals. That is, they earn some of their living doing such and such, but still hold down a steady job with a steady paycheck.

For example... I am a full-time "professional" magician. I make my entire living as a performer. Most folks in the magic field are hobbyists, amateurs, part-time professionals etc.

But the word "professional" is thrown around quite loosely in every field. And it can be quite deceptive to folks who are in the market for something. To me, the term "professional" goes way beyond a simple exchange of cash

Lilija

That's a pretty good description.

I also think, as a tarot reader, that along with the excange of money, comes sort of a professional method of doing things. Having a set method, that you sort of apply across the board. Also the ability and access to read for a range of people, strangers included.

What I mean by set method, is when I read professionally, I have set numbers of cards, and certain spreads that work well in various situations, all easily priced. None of the message comes from Lili-the-person. No judgement, no advice, just pure message from the cards.

When I read for myself, or casually, I just kinda throw questions out, pull cards, chat, giggle, speculate, interject, write stuff down, drag in other decks and oracles, doodle....whatever.

Allison70

I wonder if the understanding of professional to mean 'gets paid for it' has sprung largely from the very common understanding of 'professional sportsperson'. ( I realise the word has been around longer than that, I mean that our understanding and common use of the word has changed over time to essentially narrow what people tend to assume it means.)

Really, we need a new word. Because professional does mean 'gets paid for it', but behaving professionally has a much deeper meaning than 'acts like they get paid for it'.

nisaba

To me it encompasses:-

* not being a fly-by-nighter but having staying-power;
* a rigorous ethical code abided by
* a willingness to continuously raise standards and continue self-education or formal education
* earning all or a portion of your income through it.

I'm a bit old-school, though: the professions are medicine, law and the church. Everything else is occupations.

Sinduction

This is hard because I do think of myself as a semi-pro. I do get paid to read at events and when I am out at a particular place. Also on the net. Although I do not advertise, I do not have a business space, and I cannot survive on it as my only source of income.

I hold myself to a kind of code where I always act as a professional reader when people find out I read. Just tonight I was reading for a friend at a party and afterwards someone started asking me questions and I went into my "pro" mode. Where I explained that most of the things she had heard were myths, such as having to be gifted a deck, etc.

Where I live, it is quite possible that I may be the only reader they see, and especially on such a private one on one situation, where she was not getting a reading. I like to keep that in mind and behave in a professional, educated way. Sort of like I am representing readers everywhere.

So, even if I am not a full-time pro reader, I do behave professionally when people I interact with find out that I read. I would love to do it full time but I have bills to pay. :D

irisa

To me I think in regards to readers - it's just being paid... but it's often used as a buzz word for everything as if "professional" is some sort of qualification - it's not. The professional behaviour often talked about is I think more a matter of personal responsibility and integrity rather than any professional criteria.

I think there are professions and occupations - what makes the difference to me is a profession requires a commitment to a particular and common code or set of values, it can be seen in the examples of primary professions like law, medicine, and priesthood that clearly have these. I'm old school too :)

This can't apply to tarot. There is no standard, no qualification - two readers can have wildy different codes of conduct, ethics and just about everything else.

irisa :)

gregory

I am a professional teacher and have almost never taught - in that I trained and qualified, but deafness makes it a nightmare. I am a professional musician in that I have loads of diplomas etc. - but I don't play for money.

The "qualifications" thing cannot apply to tarot as there is no fully accepted and recognised qualification. Likewise certification is too wormy a can to consider. })

The ONLY things that hold up for tarot are attitude and ethics - and I would say you are if you are HONEST, and are paid for it and fulfil nisaba's requirements, which fit OK for me:

* not being a fly-by-nighter but having staying-power;
* a rigorous ethical code abided by
* a willingness to continuously raise standards and continue self-education or formal education
* earning all or a portion of your income through it.

But I guess if a professional chooses do work for free, that is their privilege.

satinangel

Moderator Note

Just a note to let you know that off-topic posts have been removed from this thread. It is okay to start new threads about older topics.

Thank you for your understanding.