Question about care of deck

willowfox

Jakta said:
Is it true that I need to keep my deck covered when not in use??

No. If you are using them quite often, leaving them lying around is fine. If you are not using them for an extended period of time better put them in their box and put them away.

6 Haunted Days

IndigoWonders said:
Most of mine are in their boxes in a bag, and sometimes I put that in a wooden box too! It's just for neatness sake though. I feel that they should be taken care of as you would care for anything special.

Interesting point, Umbrae, about sanitary conditions. I doubt I would have thought of that but my brain switched off a few hours ago. Do kids count?

*cough* Yes kids count!! My son is 22 months and is very attracted to all my cards....while I've been letting him play with my Inner Child cards (they're huge and very durable) the rest are always well out of his reach.

But today he somehow got in my closet and I walked in to see why he was so quiet (always a danger!) and find a deck scattered everywhere! Luckily it was the Sacred Circle, one of my least favourite decks, but uhg...he would destroy a deck from 0-60 seconds :laugh:

shadowedge

This thread has evolved from an opinonated yes/no to a personal tale of how we keep our decks! :)

It's very intresting to hear about everyone experiences and Ideas about deck care.

I only have one deck, I bought 2 bandanas to use as covers for them shortly after it was given to me. I don't know how long my boss had them, but I've seen the deck lying around our office for about a year and a half before i got them.

My wiccan friend told me to burn incents to cleanse them. So I did, and the deck now has a special place on a shelf in my room, same place I have motorcycle's first windshield/emblem, and also the same place where I have my dagger collection.

I don't intend to be a deck collector so I guess this works for me. Plus there isnt anyone around to mess it up. I agree with what others have said, the conditions of your home do play a heavy part in how you keep/care for your deck(s).

Each to his own I suppose.... :)

Hight Priestess

I like silk

I keep mine wrapped in silk unless I am working with them. It makes me nervous for them not to be covered I feel they will pick up on vibes that could be distracting. It make me feel they are well protected.

cerulean_lotus

The way I handle my deck

I used to have a standard RWS deck, and, when I received it, I was also being taught by a teacher who kept his in a simple wooden box.
I remember I went all out with my first deck. I bought a cardboard box from a craft store, painted and decorated it. The cards within were wrapped with a large piece of black silk with golden dragons on it.

That was 5 years ago, now, I own a Farber-Zerner deck and am a little more low-key with my care. I simply wrap my deck in a 10x10 inch floral cloth.

In my opinion, a cloth is a deck essential. It acts as a protective piece and as a protective surface on which to lay your spread. But that's just what works for me. I hope you find something that works for you :)

nisaba

Jakta said:
Is it true that I need to keep my deck covered when not in use??
If you want to.

Do you feel it needs to be covered? If so, do it. If not, don't. It won't get sunburnt.

nisaba

Umbrae said:
I used to leave them out, but late at night they love to get up and cavort about. Early one morning I caught The Lovers and The Devil doing "something" in front of the vanity mirror…I had to separate them and put them in separate places in the deck as punishment.
<splutter>

Polydeuces

To some tarot cards are mere tools, to others they are sacred talismans. I guess it really depends how you define them and your relationship with the cards. I only have three decks and have a draw-string bag for the one I feel most at home with, (Thoth) and keep the others in boxes they came in. I personally see the cards as a link between myself and the subconscious (super conscious?) mind, and thus I treat them with a little more care than other material occurrences.

tarotcognito

To some tarot cards are mere tools, to others they are sacred talismans. I guess it really depends how you define them and your relationship with the cards. I only have three decks and have a draw-string bag for the one I feel most at home with, (Thoth) and keep the others in boxes they came in. I personally see the cards as a link between myself and the subconscious (super conscious?) mind, and thus I treat them with a little more care than other material occurrences.
Ditto. I keep my primary deck in a pouch with a drawstring. The rest of my decks remain inside their original box until such a time as I feel a whimsy to pull them out and look at them. The main reason I keep my main deck in a pouch is because my cat loves plopping down over the cards and rolling back and forth all over over them - like esoteric catnip. :p

Bhavana

*cough* Yes kids count!! My son is 22 months and is very attracted to all my cards....while I've been letting him play with my Inner Child cards (they're huge and very durable) the rest are always well out of his reach.

But today he somehow got in my closet and I walked in to see why he was so quiet (always a danger!) and find a deck scattered everywhere! Luckily it was the Sacred Circle, one of my least favourite decks, but uhg...he would destroy a deck from 0-60 seconds :laugh:

haha, he can come over and stomp and rip and drool and all over my Sacred Circle any time he wants.