Would anyone be interested in a Book of Thoth study group?

Michael Sternbach

Sounds very interesting. :)

Samweiss

I'm interested. :)

I've never participated in any study groups here in Aeclectic, but this sounds fun. Also, I'm currently studying the minor arcana on my own, and I think this could be useful complementary for those studies.

MissChiff

My health is very poor lately but I would LOVE to follow along...please

pacificwaters

I had started studying the Thoth last year but couldn't make any progress with my solo pursuit. I almost abandoned it with the hope that someday :D I will be back :)

And I am glad Padma pointed out this group to me though she aint into Thoth. I am in for the study group, but I would like to refer myself as very much a newbie in Thoth.

I am ready to roll anyway that closrapexa would have me too :D

Zephyros

All newcomers are welcome to join the study group here. :)

We haven't gotten very far yet, you haven't missed much. When I have a yen to I'll post an index of the group.

ravenest

Rubbish, I'm no boss. But I also don't enjoy talking to myself, so I'm putting out feelers to see if there are any takers.

And nobody needs any permission anyway for that kind of thing. :)

Yeah Boss , :) I would ... but I am not here as much as may be required ?

Zephyros

That's up to you how much you post. No strings attached.

Aeon418

This week's section is a bit long, but much of it covers material that doesn't require much discussion.
Really? A lot of new readers are baffled and put off by this first section. I have some sympathy with them too based on my own early experiences with The Book of Thoth. Back in the 1980's when I first got my hands on a copy, there was very little in the way of supplementary material to help anyone get to grips with the book. I distinctly remember reading and rereading that first section again and again, trying to understand what the hell Crowley was going on about! (I was almost completely ignorant of Qabalah and Gematria at the time. :eek:) Fortunately for me I was more intrigued than put off. The enigma presented by the book was like a red rag to a bull with me. But I can appreciate that not everyone is that crazy. :joke:

Zephyros

Well, just because I said so doesn't mean it can't be discussed. ;)

However, that's more of a case of making assumptions about my audience, AT is a rather informed crowd, especially the contributors to this forum. There's not much in this section that hasn't been discussed at length here and elsewhere and as you said, there is much more supplementary material available today. For the book's original readers, this may have been the first they ever heard of Levi, Wescott, the manuscripts, etc. For me, at least, the main point of interest here is the Tzaddi stuff, since that's the really unique material that can't be found elsewhere.

But anyone is quite invited to contribute, my own summary is just that, my own. Questions, comments and discussion are of course welcome. I just try to get the ball rolling, is all.

Michael Sternbach

We all will have different thoughts on what is particularly interesting. I think that ALL of the text should be posted for discussion, broken down into shorter sections, and allowing contributors ample time to comment. We are dealing with a text full of complexities here. So much will be lost if we rush through it. I see absolutely no need for that.