7 of Wands what does it mean to you?

Sterlyn

I have a question, the 7 of Wands in terms of book meaning, is take a stand, struggles but you have the higher ground, etc. I have had this come up a couple of times in readings. But today I did Kazz's 7 card horseshoe spread (which I really like btw) and this card came up as a lesson to be learned.

The spread was really informative as in terms of whats going on in my life and that of family, home and job. But I don't see the traditional interpretation applying here. I am of Irish descent and standing my ground and knocking heads with someone is not a lesson I need to learn, believe me, ask anyone who knows me. And in particular since much of this is home and family, I am uncomfortable with the idea of "standing against" those I hold near and dear.

Someone much wiser in tarot than me suggested that it can mean working together, learning to function as a group, playing as a team member. When I looked more closely at the card in Robin Woods deck, he did look like the leader at Union meeting, telling everyone how to make it work, and trying to pull everyone together. This makes much more sense, particularly as a lesson card.

I am curious to hear from the more experienced what this card has come to mean to you, particularly as a lesson card. I am curious to tap the "collective" here for input.

I will be gone a couple of days, but should be back on Sat.

Love and thanks to all,
trh

SummerRaine

The meaning of the Seven of Wands card

Hello Redhead,

I think when we think of the traditional meaning of the Seven of Wands card, "taking a stand" does not always have to have the connotation of an aggressive or contrary issue. Sometimes we may take a stand for ourselves, for another, or for a cause, not against someone or an idea.

For example you could decide that you are NOT going to allow the laundry to pile up anymore. You will faithfully do the task every week on Friday night without fail. This example involves taking your own personal stand and making a commitment for yourself. In fact the broader meaning of this card includes such words as, courage, committment, determination, sense of purpose etc. It also suggests that you will be victorious!

In view of the above, perhaps the meaning of the Seven of Wands in your Horseshoe spread about your family doesn't necessarily reference "taking a stand" against them, it may mean taking a stand in defense of them, or making some type of personal commitment to yourself or to them or to a cause related to them.

I hope my thoughts are helpful.

Moongold

7 Wands has had different meanings for me.

Sometimes it's meant that on a particular issue I'm going to have to just get down to the task and see it through with commitment.

Once It was a metaphor for attititude - that I was seeing life always has work related and those Wands were like a fence locking me in, could hardly see over the top of them.

A little connected with the above, once the card suggested that at a particular time I was caught up in "life as struggle" mode, the lesson being the identification of that attitude.

Another time the card reminded me of a time when I built a tree house, a wonderful, fantastic place in a paddock that hardly anyone went to. The particular meaning was that I could turn a potentially ordinary situation into something special.

I guess it depends a lot on imagination and how the card speaks to you in a particular context.

Looking at the card just now I had the feeling that this single guy struggling away here by himself possibly needs to ask for some help - sort of like your teamwork suggestion.

Moongold

Diana

Objectives must be defined - it is time to know exactly what they are. And then go for it. In fact, if you've already reached the seven (a sacred number), then you already know what they are -so the time is ripe to develop them. What is the point of having a strategy and then not following it up?

Sevens love the Fire element. They can flatten all the obstacles they meet on their path.

You've got the tools you need right there in your hands. (But watch out not to get a big head and rush in where only fools dare to tread! :D ).

It is important not to neglect your body - physical exercice is important. A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Francesca

7's are funny. They are supposed to mean victory, but the cards in the RW deck show anything but. I see a lot of illusions and trickery in the RW 7's.

To me, the 7W indicates that your problems and fears are not real. The wands the fellow is supposed to be fighting with are simply leaning up against the cliff. There is no foe at the end of the stick.

Alex

Sometimes the problems are real but the reason for the problems is stupid.

I recall when I was in high school, there was a boy in my class that had somewhat efeminate manners. He was a nice guy but the other boys used to give him SO MUCH grief all the time calling him a sissy and what have you. I mean, people can be plainly intolerant of a difference.

Sometimes we strive in difficulty for no apparent good reason but still, we strive in difficulty, like the world is against us or something, for no good reason at all.

Alex.

Francesca said:
To me, the 7W indicates that your problems and fears are not real. The wands the fellow is supposed to be fighting with are simply leaning up against the cliff. There is no foe at the end of the stick.

Tarotphelia

The 7 of Wands to me represents someone who has a lot to deal with at one time- challenges from many directions occurring at once. It could mean that you need to practice learning to deal with multiple problems at once. (Multi-tasking?) Possibly the need to learn to feel confident in spite of many obstacles, having faith in yourself & your abilities.

Tarotphelia

Umbrae

Seven is: The perfect number, (7 days to create the earth (mythical), 7 days in a week, 7 year physiological cycle). The combination of 3+4= . Seven represents a need for introspection, independent self-discovery and inner growth. Sevens reflect taking an original approach to learning, meditation, retreat, and reevaluation.

Add to that Wands: The Wands are the suit of creativity, action and movement. They are about ‘Doing’.

Now the books all say that the 7 of Wands is about defense and standing your ground and…in essence…fighting.

So let’s look at the picture. Notice anything? Look at the guys shoes…

Ruth, Chapter 4, verse 7: Now this was the manner in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbor; and this was the testimony of Israel.

Two immediate questions: One, was Waite a Bible reader/follower? This chapter refers to Boaz marrying Ruth. Look at the pillars on the High Priestess card…there’s a clue. Two, would Waite have included this in the 7 of Wands? I have reason to believe he did, it is a subtle inclusion referring to his fraternal activities at the time, that is missed by most. There are other fraternal references in various Waite Coleman-Smith cards.

This inclusion moves the generally accepted meaning expounded by authors and shifts it. Since seven is about perfection and learning we have to move away from conflict, and since wands are about doing we must retain the characteristic of ‘action’.

Thus is my interpretation of being supported. He is not acting alone…he appears to be, but there are folks working in the background…they have sealed the deal and he is wearing the badge upon which agreements were and are made.

:smoker:

Alex

I do think

but I might be wrong: the reason why so many decks portray human figures fighting is that a natural human reaction to the combination "creativity" plus "perfection" is stepping the foot in front of the person who's happily doing something creative in order to make that person fall.

When one dares to do something creative or to be original, opposition often comes on the way. Often, not always. The pictures on the deck in this case speak more for a consequence of beint in the "seven of wands" than it speaks about that condition in itself.

Hope I'm being clear. If I'm reasoning on the right line, your take on the card is perfectly valid, as any other that stress on the "state" rather than on the possible consequences of being there.

Alex.

Umbrae said:

Now the books all say that the 7 of Wands is about defense and standing your ground and…in essence…fighting.

Kazz

Theredhead,
Thanks for trying out the spread, I am glad you like it.:D
This position is an overall lesson to learn at this time.
The 7 wands here indicates to me..... be determined to meet any challenge that comes your way in whatever area of your life.
This is just telling you to learn to be prepared for ANYTHING!

Cheers
Kazz

:TQC