PPF Spread: Follow your heart or your head

Mojo

I often do readings for people who have no specific question in mind and just want a general reading concerning life or love or career, etc. I've created a fairly simple past/present/future spread which works very nicely because it gives them options for the future: follow your heart or follow your head.

The spread consisits of 3 rows of 7 cards in each row. Bottom row represents the past, middle row is the present, and the top row is the future.

The middle card in each row represents the querent in that time frame. The cards on either side of the center card represent the major influences. Cards on the right side of center represent "right brain" influences (emotions, intuition, artistic, etc.) Cards on the left of center represent "left brain" influences (logical, practical, rational, etc.). The closer a card is to the center, the stronger the influence.

In the future row, cards on the right side of the querent's card show the outcome if the querent follows their heart. Cards on the left show the results if they follow their head. On this row, the further the card is from the center, the greater the potential.

This is a fun spread for me because it covers so much area. I find that the cards read in many directions. For example, cards next to each other tend to explain each other, while cards in opposite aspects (i.e. far left past vs. far right past) often show balancing influences. And you can also read up and down a particular column and see how certain influences change over time.

For doing paid readings, this spread almost always takes me an hour to interpret and it involved the querent continuously. By them helping clarify events past & present, it helps me more accurately read the trends in the future. I've never had a dissatisfied customer with this spread.

StarShine

Sounds pretty cool. I especially like the part where the querent can see outcomes on both sides of the coin. I can see where it would work, because for almost every issue, our hearts and our heads could lead us down very different paths. I will try this out on myself and see what happens. Thanks for the spread!

catlin

Hi,

Thanks for sharing! I think I will give it a try this evening! I need a reading for myself tonight!

misifu

Hi Mojo,
This spread is very interesting, hehe, because it is very similar to my "gypsy spread" ( Look under "gypsy spread layout on the forum ) only mine consists of 40 cards, 4 rows of 10 cards each. Only I the whole spread as a general reading, but I pay attention to see if the significator card comes out, and if so, I read what cards surround that person, plus like you, I read vertically, horizontally, and diagonally. This spread can take hours if you so desire it, and as I mentioned before, I do not recommend this spread for beginners, since it can be quite confusing and quite overwhelming. Incidentally, were you taught this spread, find it in a book, or invent it yourself? Love, Misifu.

EveAnna

I usually do just the normal 6 or 9 card PPF spreads but I like the look and layout of your version, thanks for posting it :)

rob1

This is a nice spread. Very like one taught to me in late 79 by Anton Varone of San Francisco.

He called his "my gypsy variation" (many so called gypsy spreads use 3 rows of 7 cards with the order of bottom-past, middle-present, top-future; but most often with the readings going from left to right, weakest influence to strongest influence; though some read right to left in the Hebrew fashion, weakest to strongest).

Anton felt the left side showed what following the mind might bring and that the right side showed what following the soul might bring.

I agree that spreads such as these give far better options for interpretation than most other spreads.

-rob

Alta

Mojo (09 Aug, 2001 12:27):
Cards on the right side of center represent "right brain" influences (emotions, intuition, artistic, etc.) Cards on the left of center represent "left brain" influences (logical, practical, rational, etc.). The closer a card is to the center, the stronger the influence.

In the future row, cards on the right side of the querent's card show the outcome if the querent follows their heart. Cards on the left show the results if they follow their head. On this row, the further the card is from the center, the greater the potential.

Hi Mojo,
That is a very interesting spread. It did raise a question in my mind though, concerning the right relating to emotion and the left to rational thought. The right side of the brain controls the left side of the person and the left vice versa. In Jung's writings and elsewhere, the left shows what is coming up from the unconcious, the pre-rational stuff, while the right shows the conscious rational material. Lots of ancient symbols work the same way. For example, any material on the powerful spiral symbol shows that. A spiral that if turned left would move up and if turned right would move down shows the operation of those influences. So, seriously, I would think that the right hand cards (controlled by the left side of the brain) would show rational influences and the cards to the left would shows emotiuonal influences. Just a thought.

Mojo

Marion

A spread works best when it is intuitive and natural for a particular reader. So, if it is more natural for you to associate the right side with practical/logical aspects, then that is the correct way for you.

What I really like about this spread is that although it appears complicated at first glance, it is actually quite easy to follow. Everything is balanced and fairly logical (depending on your own point of view).

This is my adaptation of a traditional gypsy spread, but by all means, you should feel free to adapt it so that it works best for your personal style. The gypsy spread is great because it gives you an opportunity to "wow" the querent with the ability to identify past and present events in addition to showing them direction for the future.

jaled

Great!

Thanx for sharing this spread, my firend.

I prefer this 27 cards spread because 40 cards are too much for me!
I like the way you divide past, present and future, according to brain hemispheres.

And do you have a special order for the cards?.
I mean, for instance:

Future: 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Present: 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Past: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

or do you start from the center, and then what's next? left or right?

Future: 18 17 16 15 19 20 21
Present: 11 10 9 8 12 13 14
Past: 4 3 2 1 5 6 7

thank you!