Handfasting Spread

Lyones

Handfasting is a pagan ritual, often used these days in lieu of Christian ceremonies. It is a form of agreement where 2 hands are bound together to make the commitment formal. In looking for directives, I wanted to know what to commit to and how it would affect other areas of my life and came up with this spread, which members of the Lotus forum helped me to modify. The layout signifies 5 fingers on each hand with the 11th card being the binding and the blessing.

The purpose of the spread is to clarify what needs to be activated, be committed to and how it will affect my life-style.

The Layout:

---------3----------------------------------8
----2--------4-------------------------7--------9
1----------------5---------------6------------------10

1. This is what I need to instigate and commit to wholeheartedly.
2. This is the problem I have prompting the action in Position 1.
3. This is why I have trouble committing to the action in Position 1.
4. This is how I can solve the problems in Positions 2 and 3?
5. This is how my commitment will affect those around me.

6. This is how the commitment will affect me spiritually.
7. This is how the commitment will affect me emotionally.
8. This is how the commitment will affect me physically.
9. This is how the commitment will affect me mentally.
10. This is how the commitment will affect me materially.

11. This is the blessing of the commitment.

I hope you will give it a try and let me know what you thought.

Lyones

WalesWoman

I tried out this spread, not exactly the answers I had hoped for, but the insights I gained from it, have actually improved the relationship because I found out I just needed to let go of the idea of needing marriage or other "formal" declaration in order to feel secure. Funny, once I did let go of this, I was actually much freer to give and recieve everything, which is making him more receptive and giving as well. The results of the reading, once I comprehended them was almost like a sigh of relief.

Great spread Lyones!

Lyones

Thanks for your comments WalesWoman - I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it was helpful to you :)

Ealasaid Enfys

Hi Lyones,

I really like the neopagan aspect of your spread. If I ever were to get married... But when I laid my cards I found it difficult to see the difference between cards nr 2 and 3 (trouble prompting and problem committing to the action). Don't both cards basically mean why you can't commit to do this, what is holding you back?
Anyone?