RWS 1971 - To Bid or Not to Bid?

rwcarter

You'd have to ask the seller. Some of the earlier printings of the yellow-box RWS have copyrights but light lamination on them. Since "light lamination" is subjective, you might ask the seller what the lowest printing number is in the LWB. From what I can figure out, the copyrights appeared with either the 16th or 17th printing of the LWB. (I have a 15th printing LWB w/o copyrights and a 17th with). You could also ask which state is listed on the cover of the LWB. If it's NY, it's likely a printing with light lamination.

Yineth

You'd have to ask the seller. Some of the earlier printings of the yellow-box RWS have copyrights but light lamination on them. Since "light lamination" is subjective, you might ask the seller what the lowest printing number is in the LWB. From what I can figure out, the copyrights appeared with either the 16th or 17th printing of the LWB. (I have a 15th printing LWB w/o copyrights and a 17th with). You could also ask which state is listed on the cover of the LWB. If it's NY, it's likely a printing with light lamination.

I'll definitely keep this in mind. So much to know D":

I guess I'll know the results when the deck arrives. If it's the same as my current RWS, then I'll just consider it as my back-up deck! (Because a US Games deck is /so/ delicate :p)

Richard

I'll definitely keep this in mind. So much to know D":

I guess I'll know the results when the deck arrives. If it's the same as my current RWS, then I'll just consider it as my back-up deck! (Because a US Games deck is /so/ delicate :p)
Certain ink colors may have a slight gloss. This does not mean that the cards are laminated. I recently got an RWS, with the original calligraphic titles, "made in Switzerland," in which the cards are not uniformly matte, but the copyright comes right off with a little encouragement from an ink eraser, without damaging the texture or finish of the border in any way. It's a very nice deck, seemingly almost unused except for the box. Ths will replace my old 1980s deck, in which the World card was creased, which somehow caused it to appear all too often when I would cut the deck.

Bhavana

This might be more of a general question in regards to lamination, but when the seller says, "It's like a normal deck of cards" do they mean a light lamination?

I'm asking, because the RWS deck I'm eyeing has the copyrights on them... But I don't know if the deadly eraser will be able to handle them with even the tiniest bit of lamination : /

[Deck in question is possibly just a reprint of the 1971.]

Where is the deck printed? I just picked up a new RW that has the copyrites, but it is still a Switzerland printing, and should be very similar to the older one I have that has the nice cardstock.

Yineth

Where is the deck printed? I just picked up a new RW that has the copyrites, but it is still a Switzerland printing, and should be very similar to the older one I have that has the nice cardstock.

@Bhavana: I'll know when it arrives. Worst case scenario, I told my friend that I'll give her one of my RWS since she doesn't have one :p

Edit: I apologize for asking questions that don't directly relate with the OP I made for the thread. As an update, I am still looking through a variety of RWS decks on eBay and I'm really glad and grateful for all the advice and tips everyone gave here. If I end up needing a better clarification on something though, I'll definitely search through AT's threads before asking here :p

Stark Raven

I don't know how many people here own vintage copies of the RWS, but does anyone have the 1971 version of the RWS? What are your opinions on it?

I was browsing online to see if I could get a different version of the RWS (the version I have is the cruddy USG version) and came across an eBay auction on a vintage copy of the 1971 RWS.

Question is: How different is the 1971 version to the current duplicated copy made by USG? Is the current bid price fair for its value or not worth chasing after?

I would really appreciate any feedback given on this. Thank you in advance.

I have a number of them, I started collecting them because they drew me back in time, I found them addictive. Be careful to ask details if you're planning to buy, they are often not actual 1971 decks, so you need to ask questions on determining if they are actually that.

Bhavana

@Bhavana: I'll know when it arrives. Worst case scenario, I told my friend that I'll give her one of my RWS since she doesn't have one :p

Edit: I apologize for asking questions that don't directly relate with the OP I made for the thread. As an update, I am still looking through a variety of RWS decks on eBay and I'm really glad and grateful for all the advice and tips everyone gave here. If I end up needing a better clarification on something though, I'll definitely search through AT's threads before asking here :p

I don't think your questions are an issue or off topic - they could all be filed under the original question - to bid or not to bid - right? I mean, you are trying to learn about the deck, so that you can make more informed choices on bidding.

vee

Just wanted to say thanks again for this thread. I got a 1971 no copyright version a few weeks ago off eBay for 17$ and I adore it! It's crazy how such a small thing changes it so much. Plus, the cards are so soft!

Bhavana

Just wanted to say thanks again for this thread. I got a 1971 no copyright version a few weeks ago off eBay for 17$ and I adore it! It's crazy how such a small thing changes it so much. Plus, the cards are so soft!

yeah, the card stock on these decks is scrumptious!! I have one from an after 1975, still a Mueller and Cie Switzwerland, and the cardstock is sooo thin.