Hidden Sorrows Spread

augursWell

I seem to be on a spread creation roll lately so here's another...

This has to be used carefully as it has to do with subconscious, buried, or hidden aspects of the querent's past, thus the name "Hidden Sorrows". A question is not necesssarily needed as it may be something that you, or the querent, tend to avoid anyway and may not be aware of.

****3****
1*2*5*6*7
****4****

[1] What is your Regret, your Loss -- what or who did it involve.
[2] What was the Mistake you made.
[3] How do you Positively deal with this in current day-to-day life.
[4] How do you Negatively deal with this in current day-to-day life.
[5] How does this mistake/loss/regret Manifest in current day-to-day life.
[6] Who or what is really Responsible for this.
[7] How do you Move Forward from this.

Of course, any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
A.

WolfyJames

This is a really good spread. I tend to bury deep my anguishes and pain, and it tends sometimes to come out weird and x years later. I think this spread would be perfect for these moments, when I have forgotten the whys and when.

Myrrha

Augers Well this looks like an amazing spread. I like spreads that dig deep, but it may be a while before the chance to use this one comes along.

edited to add: I mean to use it with someone else, of course! We all have hidden sorrows, don't we?

Myrrha

Astraea

This is a very helpful spread. I used it last night with the Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot, a deck that is gentle, humorous and not intimidating, as well as good for readings -- the perfect counterpart to a potentially daunting spread.

I found it helpful to identify the specific loss/regret prior to shuffling and dealing, and then read the first position as a key to uncovering the deeper (perhaps hidden) nature of the people/circumstances involved. Identifying a particular sorrow prior to doing the spread eliminates guesswork, since some regrets are linked in a chain of relationship to others, and sorrows often come in seemingly unrelated clusters that can be hard to tease out on the basis of one card. Identifying the issue in advance (but without having to formulate a question) also helps to temper fear, because the context is understood prior to the actual reading, and what remains to be discovered is helpful advice.

It seems to me that the spread would work well with either very direct decks (like the Thoth) or seemingly innocuous ones which still yield deep readings (for example, the Whimsical Tarot). And, of course, the Marseille decks would give very objective readings. Perhaps a deck tailored to the issue would work best of all (e.g., the Vertigo for an issue surrounded by mystery and obscurity) -- a bit like choosing a homeopathic remedy.

Thank you for the spread, it is a good one.

Flavio

Astraea said:
This is a very helpful spread. I used it last night with the Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot, a deck that is gentle, humorous and not intimidating, as well as good for readings -- the perfect counterpart to a potentially daunting spread.

I wonder how this spread would work with a very dark deck (actually this spread seemed designed for such decks), someday I'll try it with my Bosch deck.

Great spread aurgusWell

Astraea

Flavio said:
I wonder how this spread would work with a very dark deck (actually this spread seemed designed for such decks), someday I'll try it with my Bosch deck.
Personally, I think it would work great with a dark deck. I imagine that much would depend on individual psychology, the timing of the spread and the nature of the regret/loss/sorrow.

Another thing that comes to mind regarding this spread: it could be used to focus on repetitive themes, in addition to specific instances of regret/loss/sadness.

augursWell

Thanks everyone for the feedback and yes, Myrrha, I think we all have such things in our past. I put together this spread to deal with some of my own, which rears its ugly head every now and then. :)

augursWell

Astraea said:
I found it helpful to identify the specific loss/regret prior to shuffling and dealing, and then read the first position as a key to uncovering the deeper (perhaps hidden) nature of the people/circumstances involved. Identifying a particular sorrow prior to doing the spread eliminates guesswork, since some regrets are linked in a chain of relationship to others, and sorrows often come in seemingly unrelated clusters that can be hard to tease out on the basis of one card. Identifying the issue in advance (but without having to formulate a question) also helps to temper fear, because the context is understood prior to the actual reading, and what remains to be discovered is helpful advice.
This is a very good point. I think it does help to identify the "issue" up front, especially if doing a reading for someone else. Many of such sorrows can be quite personal and setting boundaries up front is a good idea.

augursWell

Flavio said:
Actually, an assumption that I make (which is not always the case with other readers) is that I will choose the deck based on my particular frame of mind, the situation, the season, a whim, whatever -- any number of reasons. I have a number of decks that I collect and I like to read with all of them, so I'm always trying out different decks. There are just too many great decks out there, in my view. :) Obviously some decks are better than others for different kinds of readings.

I think someone who has suffered a trauma of some kind, or a child or young person, might prefer a whimsical type deck for this spread. Others in the "face your fears" mode might use a dark deck. But I didn't have any particular deck in mind when I came up with the spread.

SongDeva

This is a fabulous spread. Thanks for posting it.

Question:

[6] Who or what is really Responsible for this.

I have trouble in that I'm literally minded. Can you give an example of how you would interpret a card to understand who it's talking about, if it's a person?