View Single Post
Citizen

Kenny 

I've read a story that the first owner--a Greek seer called Tiresias--of the caduceus was not worthy to use it and when he separated two snakes copulating he turned into a she. After many years of living as a woman he found another pair of snakes copulating and again (s)he separated them, and again (s)he changed sex. Back to being a male.

This staff was considered too dangerous to use so it was hidden, but a young man called Hermes found and learned to harness the power of the staff for healing. (Hence the caduceus is the primary symbol for medical professionals.)

Hermes Trismegistus means thrice greatest Hermes. This name refers to his mastery of all three levels of being/reality: physical/spiritual/mental of Earth, heaven, and everything between. Hermes also created the art of textual interpretation, this happens in four directions: natural, supernatural, divine, human sense. This means that alchemical text is suggestive and rich in word play and allegories. ('Wherever we have spoken openly we have said nothing. But where we have written something in code and in pictures we have concealed the truth.' - Rosarium philosophorum)

I've got a couple more quotes that may or may not be interesting/useful:

'Man's guide is Thoth, who bestows upon him the gifts of speech, who makes the books and illumines those who are learned therein, and the physicians who follow him, that they may work cures.'

'True, true. Without doubt. Certain:
The below is as the above, and the above as the below, to perfect the wonders of the One.
And as all things came from the One, from the meditation of the One, so all things are born from the One by adaptation.
Its father is the Sun, its mother the Moon; the wind carries it in its belly; its nurse is the Earth.
It is the father of all the wonders of the whole world. Its power is perfect when it is transformed into Earth.
Separate the Earth from Fire and the subtle from the gross, cautiously and judiciously.
It ascends from Earth to Heaven and returns back to the Earth, so that it receives the power of the upper and lower. Thus you will possess the brightness of the whole world, and all darkness will flee you.
This is the force of all things, for it overcomes all that is subtle and penetrates solid things.
Thus was the world created.
From this wonderful adaptations are effected, and the means are given here.
And Hermes Trismegistus is my name, because I possess the three parts of wisdom of the whole world.
Top   #5