View Single Post
Citizen

Lurea 

Hmmm... rods doesn't strike you as neutral? It actually does seem neutral to me. Staves is another term I've seen, but that could be interpreted in a 'magical' way, as well.

I'm a big fan of Tarot growth (an expansionist, rather than a purist) so terms that hearken back to historical/foreign language decks don't really float my boat. Unless you're a French speaker, using a French deck, baton doesn't sound right to me. MHO, remember!

FWIW:
Quote:
rod:Middle English rodd, from Old English
A thin straight piece or bar of material, such as metal or wood, often having a particular function or use.
A shoot or stem cut from or growing as part of a woody plant.
A scepter, staff, or wand symbolizing power or authority.
Power or dominion, especially that of tyranny.
A stick or bundle of sticks or switches used to give punishment by whipping.
Quote:
wand: Middle English, from Old Norse: vondr
A thin supple rod, twig, or stick.
A slender rod carried as a symbol of office in a procession; a scepter.
A conductor's baton.
A stick or baton used by a magician, conjurer, or diviner.
Quote:
baton: French baton, from Old French
A slender wooden stick or rod used by a conductor to direct an orchestra or band.
A hollow metal rod with a heavy rubber tip or tips that is wielded and twirled by a drum major or drum majorette.
A short staff carried by certain public officials as a symbol of office.
Sports. The hollow cylinder that is carried by each member of a relay team in a running race and passed to the next team member.
A short stick carried by police; a billy club.
Quote:
staves: Middle English staf, from Old English
A stick or cane carried as an aid in walking or climbing.
A stout stick used as a weapon; a cudgel.
A pole on which a flag is displayed; a flagstaff.
A rod or baton carried as a symbol of authority.
Well, rods, batons, and staves all have a negative side to their definitions: beatings, tyranny, and billy clubs! There is a lot of overlap, which does make one wonder why deck designers choose one over another.

When I look at these definitions, the word staves seems to fit the suit meanings I use best. And it is more inclusive than wands. Interesting.
Top   #4