Picasso Jasper - are the colors dyed?

_N_

Hello all, I have not been able to find any information online concerning the dying of Picasso Jasper, but I am going to guess that the Picasso Jasper that has been showing up on eBay (mostly from Hong Kong sellers) this past year has GOT to be dyed.

The Picasso Jasper I am used to seeing is generally gray, tan, brown, maybe a few spots of yellow or reddish - all with black matrix. But the stones I've been seeing on eBay are BRILLIANT - blues, greens, yellows, red, orange, tan, brown, cream, white, gray (many stones having 3 or more colors blended together) and all with the black matrix. They are outstandingly beautiful, and, I admit, I have succumbed and purchased some. Even more beautiful in person. But still, I can't believe this stuff is natural, even though it is being sold as such. It is just SO vibrant!

Does anyone here know if it is dyed? Or is this truly one of those wonders of the mineral kingdom like Ocean Jasper, that was only recently brought to market?

Thanks!
_N_

MCsea

Borrowed from http://www.rainbowcrystal.com/crystal/gems/picassojasper.html
Picasso jasper (also called Picasso marble or simply Picasso stone) is metamorphic limestone, Metamorphosis is one of the three ways stones are formed (the other kinds of stones are igneous and sedimentary). Geologically, a metamorphic stone forms deep in the earth, its essential nature altered by heat and pressure. It may go through metamorphosis more than once, and each time new elements are added to its composition. Only those aspects of the stone which are impermeable to pressure and heat are preserved.

Of the metamorphic stones, the patterns of Picasso jasper are particularly striking, and I see them as maps (in whatever natural or polished shape it occurs) of the crystal's transformational path. I regard this crystal as an important helper for those who wish to consciously transform with ease and comfort.

Borrowed from The Complete Guide to Crystal Astrology
Picasso Jasper resonates with the
Sabian Symbol: Three old masters hanging in an art gallery
Marc Edmund Jones Key Word: Accord

Picasso Jasper acts as a map to transformation, leading to a renaissance of spirit in pursuit of life’s purpose.
Message: Uncover the masterpiece of the soul; embody this beauty.
Sun Focus: You are artistic, refined and elegant; people are naturally attracted to you.
Affirmation: I observe aesthetic and philosophical revelations daily.

Picasso jasper can be highly polished to bring out even the most subtle colouring, but you are right some of the samples on ebay have been coloured - usually you can tell if they are mainly one colour with just black or brown eg. blue or green

but the ones at this site are likely to be natural - polished and possibly coated in lacqure http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/243031817/PS012_Multi_Color_Picasso_Jasper_Pendant/showimage.html

Because Picasso jasper it can contain many different rocks/minerals....
if you can post a pic and we can enjoy the beauty of your specimen (regardless of if its had a little extra done to it)

I like working with this crystal/rock when Im being creative- I know pretty obvious!

I hope that helps

MARINA

BodhiSeed

I LOVE picasso marble, and have many pieces, from Zuni fetishes to a crystal skull. I've never seen any with such amazing colors at the ones McSea posted; they're lovely! My guess (and it is just a guess), is that if they were dyed they would be more solidly one color (such as blue) than the multi-colored ones such as in the link. I can see how you couldn't resist buying them!:D

canid

Wow. Is that beautiful or what? I was just at the rock store last week - I think I'm going to have to go back. Is it expensive?

_N_

Thanks for all the info and replies - from your link MCsea I think that mine are natural. I agree bodhran, that I also thought "how could they dye them so many colors together?" - they are amazingly beautiful. Here is a link to a photo of one of the one's I purchased on eBay. I'm still working out just how I am going to string it up into a necklace.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4203992851_6d16d693d3_o.jpg

BodhiSeed

WOWZA! That is going to be one stunner of a necklace _N_!

MCsea

beautiful

There are amazing colours in nature - you will notice pebbles are much more colourful in water - so polishing stones has a similar effect...
Mooakike is a stone in rough form does not 'show off' as beautifully as polished (well thats one way to look at it)

but it is always wise to ask the supplier if they know and check and double check..

others may have different experiences.

MARINA

CrystalKeeper

wow!!!!!!!!! you have to string those on silk or wire with graduated black pearls mixed with similar sized black and pakistani onyx! purty *drool*

_N_

CrystalKeeper, I actually have some lovely black tourmaline beads that I was thinking of stringing them with. But I am still undecided if I am going to keep them together or string them individually. I may even use them like cabs (they are flat on the back), mount them to a backing and bead embroidery around them... so many beads... so many ideas... so little time LOL :)

CrystalKeeper

hmmm maybe you could keep them together, but it might be too much color on one strand... If you know someone who can mold/mount them for a matching ring and bracelet?? That could be matchy matchy fun!