Hierophant + Judgment?

Topsy

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the combination of The Hierophant + Judgment could mean? These are two of the more difficult Majors for me to understand, and now they keep showing up together! I was thinking perhaps a kind of "wake-up call" coming from a Hierophant-type figure, eg a teacher or counsellor. Any other input would be greatly appreciated :)

Topsy

Frayling0

(Humour me, you know I'm an amateur!)

In my head, the combination evokes the idea of inspiration or motivation. And in turn, to begin again. Judgement can be a card of renewal and the Heirophant of goodness and inspiration.

I wonder if you'll be inspired to start something afresh, or maybe even a new opportunity will present itself to you...?

nisaba

Topsy said:
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the combination of The Hierophant + Judgment could mean? These are two of the more difficult Majors for me to understand, and now they keep showing up together! I was thinking perhaps a kind of "wake-up call" coming from a Hierophant-type figure, eg a teacher or counsellor. Any other input would be greatly appreciated :)
Or perhaps a wake-up call coming from your own inner teacher, your own inner counsellor. That part of you that is Hierophantic, that knows right from wrong, and doesn't *do* fuzzy feel-good compromise. Judgement tells you that there is an important situation at hand right now, the Hierophant that you can't keep making excuses.

Topsy

Frayling0 - Don't worry, I'm still a relative newbie myself compared to many here, and what you said made complete sense :) I'd certainly welcome inspiration in my life at the moment, whatever the source. I'll have to see what comes up. With the "trumpet call" imagery of Judgment, perhaps it would be a sudden burst of inspiration rather than a gradual thing? If I'm going to start afresh, Judgment seems to be emphasising there are a few old issues that need to be addressed and laid to rest first, otherwise I'd be getting cards like the Fool or the Aces. Maybe there are issues where I've done the wrong thing, and the Hierophant is telling me to put them right. You've really got me thinking!

Nisaba, I like your take on the Hierophant. I always assumed it was an external figure but I hadn't thought that it could also indicate your internal moral compass - that wise inner voice or conscience urging you to do the right thing. I suppose I always thought the High Priestess would represent such internal workings, but then again she's not really about Right vs Wrong and morals like the Hierophant, so perhaps it is indeed his domain. And come to think of it, your inner sense of right and wrong is normally derived from the teachings of your society and the values you were brought up with, which you then internalise. They're certainly the Hierophant's territory.

Thankyou both, you've given me a lot to think about! :D

epvitale

Topsy said:
Nisaba, I like your take on the Hierophant. I always assumed it was an external figure but I hadn't thought that it could also indicate your internal moral compass - that wise inner voice or conscience urging you to do the right thing.

I always think of 'traditional' when I think of the Hierophant. In religion this would mean the Western Judeo/Christian beliefs. In business, it would mean a 9 to 5 job as opposed to an artist or entrepreneur. The RWS "trumpet call" on Judgement reminds me of a "Call To Arms." "Let all that hear answer the call."

Topsy, is there an area of your life where you are choosing between "traditional" and "non traditional" values. "Safe" vs. "Challenging" The pairing of The Hierophant and Judgement might be telling you to choose "conservative."

The two Majors leads me believe it is a "Life Decision." Job, Marriage, Moving.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Topsy

Gary,

Sorry for the late reply. Indeed, I am at a crossroads in many areas of my life right now - employment, relationships and accommodation - and many of the choices are between "safe and traditional" and a more risky, challenging option as you described. For example, I am just starting an agency job which has very unpredictable hours, often at short notice, including night shifts and evenings. I'm continuing to look for a more reliable, traditional 9 to 5 job like you mentioned... It would certainly make my life a lot easier!

Thankyou very much for your thoughts :)

SunChariot

Topsy said:
Hi everyone,

Topsy
Ok, for me, The Hierophant is about tradition, about our family values that we were brought up with that were passed down to use over generations in our families, about societal norms and values, what is considered socially acceptable and what is not...etc.

Judgment, to me, is about looking back over the past and seeing what worked well for you and what didn't work as well and making decisions on how to proceed in the future based on these realizations.

So the combination fo the two could say something like the person has been living an unexamined life, just acting as he had been brought up to act without ever stopping to think if the way he was acting WAS actually in his best interest. What can I say, we all have things passed down to us from our families, things we learnt growing up. Also, unfortunately sometimes, some parents are better parents than others. Or sometimes even the lessons that society teaches us are not right for us personally (eg most of society does not seem to believe in Tarot).

So the two cards together are about examining what you were taught growing up and seeing if those values are really something you shoeld embrace and hold onto and follow. Or if it is time to let those values go in favour of some new ones that better suit your needs.

OR HEY, the Hierophant can also mean legal affairs such as marriage. It can indicate a marriage at times.So the two could say that the person is contemplating marrying someone. That they are thinking of about the ins and outs of what it would be like to live forever with that person, thinking of all that has happened in their past and if they want to extend what they have into forever or not. Or just contemplating the idea of marriage at all, if it feels right to you or not.

Babs

Amanda

I would say it's time to reorganize the belief closet and get rid of the old, outdated junk that's no longer useful to you.

Topsy

SunChariot and Amanda, thankyou for your responses. As I said before, I am at a crossroads in many areas of my life, so your ideas about "reorganising the belief closet" couldn't be more true at the moment. SunChariot, your description sounded EXACTLY like a recent decision I made... Where I had been brought up being channeled in a certain direction, by the expectations of parents and teachers and society in general. In the end, I decided to turn my back on all that and go a different route, my own route, instead. The Hierophant + Judgment could be indicating that I am now in that transition period where I am evaluating the ideas and values I was brought up with, and deciding which to take forward as my own and which are better left behind. Once again, thankyou very much for your input!

SunChariot

You're very welcome Topsy. :heart:

That's why we're all here. :grin:

Babs