9 of Swords

paradoxx

Yaboot001 said:
I always see the 9 of Swords as a troubled card; it is one of the darker in the Rider Waite.

With this in mind, how do people view the quite (or very) cheerful bedspread? Also, any insights on the engraved picture on the bed?

Best wishes

Yaboot

I'm assuming that the bright color of the bedspread is to purposly contrast the darkness of the picture all around. The Engraving seems to be a fight of conflict of some kind, but alas, I am unable to decipher its exact meaning. It is the Zodiac glyphs on the spread that relate to the ever changing cycle of time, the woman (man?) looks like she is grieving for someone, or is just under emotional stress.

With that interpreation in mind, the subconcious (the engraving) lies below the persons awarness. The Zodiac Bed Spread indicates that no matter what we are a part of the earth and solar system and that does affect how we do things. The Cycle of Seasons and the change of the year are also equally obvious interpreations. It is the hoplessness and possible depression of nable to do anything inbetween that is represented by the person sitting straight up and the 9 swords may indicate troubled thoughts on the mind. Perhaps a guilty mind.

But then again, i could be totally wrong depending on the exact deck and spread one may be using.

Jewel-ry

Hi everyone,

A few thoughts on this card!

When I look at this card. I imagine the person to be in a quandry over what to do. Its as if some action is required but she/he is unable to sort it out in her mind. The carving could indicate this. I think this card is called 'cruelty' in some decks and that could also be symbolised by the carving. It certainly looks like someone is being aggressive or cruel. Perhaps its just mental torture. I always think the swords look like a horizontal blind and I think "OK, so open the blind, let the light in!" I can see so many different stories in this card. As for the quilt, it doesnt look very ruffled, I dont think this person has actually snuggled under the covers yet, so whatever the problem is, its keeping them up late!

firestorm

I've always interpreted the carving to be a picture of the nightmare that has this person waking up in fright. I've read that the 9 swords do not touch the person because the perceived threat is in his/her mind......in effect not really happening. Makes sense to me....plus it "gels" with the colorful bedspread, meaning that things aren't as bad as they seem.

poivre

One meaning of this card "making mountain out of mole hills" so mabee because your under the blanket, things may look black but outside things aren't really that bad.

One other meaning I've read is "Free floating anxiety" (You are so use to feeling anxious that if your not, you'll pick anything to think about to make you feel this way. That would explain the crazy bedspread.

I never really thought of this before thanks!Hope I haven't put more confusion here .

Indigo Rose

Nervous mental energy...

I have a great book called Tarot Awareness by Stephen Walter Sterling, and in this book he states the astrological correspondence to the 9 of Swords is Mars in Gemini. This really struck me when I read this because my son has a Mars in Gemini. This is a very restless energy. It is one that can make a person "crazy" with worry. I see that in this card. I see a self-imposed nightmare brought forth by someone who has this immense mental energy and needs to channel it.This is someone who needs encouragement in dealing with this challenging disposition; and much comfort as seen by the quilt. Of course this energy can also be manipulated by those who see the struggle and yet seek to cause distress. Perhaps the figures carved in the bed frame are eluding to this fact, as one person seems to be "bullying" the other.

paradoxx

I have Mars in Gemini and i agree with your interpretation. My mind is abuzz with thoughts and random energies espeically at night. not that I want to stay up constantly, but sleep does not come easily.

It may also relate to ungrounded psychic awarness. I was very restles on September 10 2001, so when the WTC was attacked I was already awake, I have since encountered similar instances of psychic awarenss of world events, some of which have suprised me.

Also the Cosmic Tarot by Norbert Loshe shows a war in the background of its diagram, a commentary of this decks variable can be found in the General category.

Indigo Rose

I just read your response Paradoxx. Wow, your struggle reminds me of my son. He is also very gifted psychically and has this restlessness at night. He also has dreams and visions about the world. War is an ever present worry for him. I wonder if this card, and perhaps the Gemini Mars(in the planet of WaR) is a testimony to the fact that WAR starts in the mind? Hmmmm.

CreativeFire

Have read somewhere that the flowers (or hearts in my deck) and the zodiac symbol patchwork on the quilt are supposed to represent: they are motifs of air signs of the zodiac (Gemini, Libra and Aquarius) - conflict between thinking and feeling - head versus heart.

This makes sense in that trying to sleep under a "blanket" of this sort of conflict between what you are thinking or worrying about versus how you truly feel about it, could be keeping you awake at night! No wonder the bed does not look ruffled or slept in. :)

This card often makes me think of a parent with a teenager who has just started going out in the evenings with their friends. You know in your heart that they will be all right, but you still can't sleep because you can think of all the things that 'could' happen to them.

CreativeFire

firecatpickles

The engraving of the fight between characters on the bed seems to me to be the symbol of the inner-conflict of Mars in Gemini. It was said above but I think it is worth mentioning again that the battle is between the conscious and the unconscious.

KK

roppo

As I wrote somewhere, I believe the fighting scene on the bed panel is "Cain kills Abel" and relevant to the decan attribution; Mars in Gemini = strife between brothers. The bed spread of roses and zodiac reminds me of the wall design of the "Vault of the Adepti" of RR et AC. All in all I'm under the impression that the scene suggests what is called "the dark night of the soul" which precedes the initiaion into higher order, higher life.

for the reference

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/rwssw09.htm

you can see relevant jpegs among illegible Japanese letters!