9 of pentacles and 2 of cups together

schwammyy

I'm having a hard time understanding these two cards together due to the fact that i've always seen them as meaning two polar opposite things. I see the 9 of pentacles representing being independent and working on things on your own. I see the two of cups as coming together with another. What could these two cards mean in combination?

rwcarter

Do the two cards have equal weight (two cards to address a particular spread position) or does one card clarify the other?

schwammyy

Do the two cards have equal weight (two cards to address a particular spread position) or does one card clarify the other?

The nine of pentacles is the immediate future and the two of cups is the outcome. I could post the whole reading but I was just more so interested in the combination of these two cards.

rwcarter

In that case, I'd say that the Querent will become whole as one (9P), allowing them to then be open to becoming half of two (2C).

If they'd been two cards in the same position, I was thinking of feeling alone (9P) even though one is in a relationship (2C).

schwammyy

In that case, I'd say that the Querent will become whole as one (9P), allowing them to then be open to becoming half of two (2C).

If they'd been two cards in the same position, I was thinking of feeling alone (9P) even though one is in a relationship (2C).

Okay very interesting. Thank you very much.

schwammyy

It makes a lot of sense. We need to be secure with ourselves before we can be with another

Intotouch

A 9 of pentacles type relationship to me is one where people are relaxed, content, a little older, happy to have time alone and to visit each other (the bird flies in and out) and still keep a full life outside of their partner. Having a beautiful garden, physical comfort and a lover who spends time with you could be a wonderful type of relationship. It makes me think of a confident couple where each has security and are relaxed in themselves. The opposite to needy if you like. It also suggests to me that the physical side of the relationship is important to these people. Where they live, sleep, sit how they touch, what they eat, what they do together are important for this relationship to thrive. Living in a hovel, eating beans on toast with no time apart would make this pair miserable. Comfort and some independence and enjoying the pleasures of life are what come to mind.

If the two of cups is describing the feeling (love returned equally) then the 9 of pentacles is describing the shape and substance of how this manifests. I think of pentacles as real physical realities, actions and in relationships, commitments. I don't see that one negates the other. In fact if I saw a love reading with no pentacles I wonder if there's anything solid about this relationship. Yes they may have all this feeling but what are they going to do about it? But I'm an earth sign so seeing positives in pentacles is easy for me. But I don't think its too much of a stretch to see cups and pentacles as suggesting love and commitment.

nisaba

I'm having a hard time understanding these two cards together due to the fact that i've always seen them as meaning two polar opposite things. I see the 9 of pentacles representing being independent and working on things on your own. I see the two of cups as coming together with another. What could these two cards mean in combination?

They are not opposite. You cannot be in a healthy partnership if you don't maintain a healthy sense of the self as an individual.

schwammyy

A 9 of pentacles type relationship to me is one where people are relaxed, content, a little older, happy to have time alone and to visit each other (the bird flies in and out) and still keep a full life outside of their partner. Having a beautiful garden, physical comfort and a lover who spends time with you could be a wonderful type of relationship. It makes me think of a confident couple where each has security and are relaxed in themselves. The opposite to needy if you like. It also suggests to me that the physical side of the relationship is important to these people. Where they live, sleep, sit how they touch, what they eat, what they do together are important for this relationship to thrive. Living in a hovel, eating beans on toast with no time apart would make this pair miserable. Comfort and some independence and enjoying the pleasures of life are what come to mind.

If the two of cups is describing the feeling (love returned equally) then the 9 of pentacles is describing the shape and substance of how this manifests. I think of pentacles as real physical realities, actions and in relationships, commitments. I don't see that one negates the other. In fact if I saw a love reading with no pentacles I wonder if there's anything solid about this relationship. Yes they may have all this feeling but what are they going to do about it? But I'm an earth sign so seeing positives in pentacles is easy for me. But I don't think its too much of a stretch to see cups and pentacles as suggesting love and commitment.

Interestingly most of my love readings have contained NO pentacles. and have had no sense of stability. I never looked at it from this point of view before. It's very interesting also because i've been evaluating how I want a relationship that has a sense of comfort like you said.

PAMUYA

They are not opposite. You cannot be in a healthy partnership if you don't maintain a healthy sense of the self as an individual.
I really agree with this statement, someone who is self assured are more attractive, then someone who is needy. You become sucessful, meaning self assured, and a healthy relationship will follow.