A "Practical" Tree of Life Spread

rachelcat

ETA: The latest version (with lots of wonderful input from wonderful people!) is posted as an attachment to post #16 of this thread.

I have found that spreads based on non-tarot systems (astrological houses, chakras, kabbalah) are a bit too abstract for me. They just don't have that good old cover-everything feel of a Celtic cross! Or maybe they cover too much . . . Here is an attempt at a less abstract, more "practical" tree of life spread. PLEASE let me know if you think it is effective and/or if it is too far from the original to be CALLED a tree of life.

Lay out a regular tree of life with cards face down.
-----1-----
--3-----2--
--5-----4--
-----6-----
--8-----7--
-----9-----
----10-----

Turn over cards 2 and 3 = The issue
2 = the force behind the issue
3 = the form the issue takes

Turn over cards 7 - 10 = You
7 = your emotions
8 = your thinking
9 = your persona (your everyday self and how you present yourself)
10 = your body and possessions

Turn over cards 4 and 5 = Outside influences
4 = people or things going for you
5 = people or things going against you

Turn over cards 6 and 1
6 = advice--the best thing you can do
1 = spiritual aspects--morality or personal growth related to the issue

Add card 11 in the Daath position (between 2/4 and 3/5)
11 = what is unknown, possibly future

Again, please let me know what you think. I am going over to the reading exchange to offer to use it for someone to get feedback there, too. Thanks!

wildchilde

Hi Rachelcat! This looks really interesting! Thanks for sharing it! I too have often found the Tree of Life spreads difficult as they incorporate so many systems that I am really too lazy to familiarize myself with! I am saving your spread for practice! Thanks a bunch!

Pipistrelle

Hi Rachelcat - thanks for posting this spread! It looks like a good alternative to the cc and I look forward to giving it a try when I have time. I especially like how you turn over small groups or pairs of cards at a time - as a bit of a newb, I could easily get overwhelmed by an 11 card reading but I feel like this one will be easier because I can take it step by step :)

Pip

rachelcat

Wild and Pip, thanks for the feedback. The face down and turning over is to make sure the reading progresses logically. My eyes just wanted to start at the top and go down! Actually starting at the bottom and going up from 10 to 1 would probably work with these position meanings, but I think it's a good idea to save the advice (6) for near the end of the reading.

Let me know how the spread works for you.

Kah

Hi Rachelcat, that looks like a great spread. I'm looking forward to trying that one soon.

paisleyesque

Actually, this proved to give me some great results! I mean really, quite accurate. I got confused trying to do a more chakra-oriented time tree, so this one worked out fine. It was hard for me to STOP turning over the cards though as I dealt them-- hah, so used to just flipping them over instead of waiting to see what they mean. Thanks!

Teheuti

Great variation - really well done.

The only thing I would suggest is calling Position 9 the "Persona" instead of Ego (which suggests a Sun/Mars-like Will). The Persona is more of a Moon-like illusion that serves us in navigating through everyday life.

Just my thoughts. Good work. I know I'll use this.

rachelcat

Teheuti said:
The only thing I would suggest is calling Position 9 the "Persona" instead of Ego (which suggests a Sun/Mars-like Will). The Persona is more of a Moon-like illusion that serves us in navigating through everyday life.

Thank you, Mary. A perfect suggestion (of course)! Not only does it fit better with the moony ninth sephira, it also fits better with the actual meaning I'm trying to get across. (Ego somehow stuck in there when I was experimenting with an even more Freudian take: 7 = id; 8 = superego; 9 = ego. But that wasn't really working for me!)

As I have used this, I have come up with some alternatives for outside influences, 4 and 5:

what's coming in and what's going out
what's expanding and what's contracting
two alternatives or choices (I once got two princesses in 4 and 5 in a love-life spread I was doing for my son!)

Thank you very much for your suggestion and for you positive feedback! I'm REALLY REALLY glad YOU like it, if you know what I mean!

Quantum James

Oh nice! I have never been moved to try a tree of life spread - but this looks very accessible - will give a whirl!

[EDIT]For the Da'ath position (11) what might be appropriate is to call this the Shadow position - The hidden stuff, but also the disowned and projected 'shadow' material. Seeing that in certain Qaballah systems this is gateway to the 'darkside' of the tree - qliphothic shells and all that.

Bernice

I have found that spreads based on non-tarot systems (astrological houses, chakras, kabbalah) are a bit too abstract for me. They just don't have that good old cover-everything feel of a Celtic cross! Or maybe they cover too much . . . Here is an attempt at a less abstract, more "practical" tree of life spread. PLEASE let me know if you think it is effective and/or if it is too far from the original to be CALLED a tree of life.
A neat spread. Just one small comment. The Tree of Life isn't a Tarot system, it's a kabbalah diagram - but does work well with both tarot and playing cards. Has anyone tried it with the Lenormand deck?

Bee