Spreads #3: Starlight Spread

Thirteen

This is a good next step in learning spreads in that it still uses only 7 cards with, again, the first three very like a three-card spread. However, the lay-out requires a bit more finesse than the simple horseshoe.

It also seem apropos for this time of year, when Solstice, Hannuka, Kawanza or Xmas, we're all interested in the power of light :)

Konraad recommends this spead for the END of a reading, when you want to bring it to a close. The idea is that anything not clear, the star will shred light on. So you can say to the querent, "Let's finish up by shedding light on anything we might have missed with this last spread...."

Now explaining some of these layouts is going to get a wee bit tricky in these posts because there seems no way to easily diagram them. So, you're just going to have to go with me step by step here.

*The lay-out is a 6 pointed star--two interlocking triangles. Draw one up on paper, then follow along marking the points as follows:

*The first three cards are an upright triangle.

1 at the top of the triangle
2 down and to the RIGHT
3 across from #2 and to the LEFT.

1 is the apex, 2 & 3 are the base.

*The other three cards, 4, 5, 6 are an upside-down triangle interconnecting with the first to form a 6 pointed star.

4 is the lowest point, the apex, the point of the downward triangle (it's in the middle and right below the line formed by #2 & #3).

5 is up and to the LEFT
6 is right across from #5 and to the RIGHT.

So, #5 and #6 form an invisible line, with #1 in the middle and above that line.

Are you seeing it?

To repeat:
#1, top center, #2, down and RIGHT, #3 across from #2 to the left.

#4 down and center, #5 up and LEFT, #6 across from #5 to the right.

And #7 dead center. Right in the middle of the star.

Meanings:
#1 Foundation of the question or problem, what's beneath it, what is it based on (example, if you got the Tower, it would mean it was based on lies)

#2 Influence of the past on the present
#3 Immediate future given past and present

#4 action or lack of action required for a good result--this is what the querent needs to do or not do to make things fall into place. For example, using our new lessons in reversals, if you got the 7 of wands reversed, it might mean that you shouldn't fight to keep this thing to yourself.

#5 Others involved who can help
#6 Opposing forces

#7 Best possible outcome given that the querent takes the cards' advice, uses friends, recognizes foes (opposing forces), takes/doesn't take certain actions.

Thus, the first triangle (1,2,3) examines the problem/question. It's foundation, where it is given the past, where it's going given the present.

The second triangle (4,5,6) sheds light on what the querent can do to make the situation the best it can be. Action he can take/should not take, people who will help, people/things which will oppose him.

Think of the first triangle as a passive overview, the way things have been and might be, with the second as the active, on the ground view, what can/should be done about it?

Give this spread a try for the holidays. And a happy Yuletide to you all. May you have light, warmth and friendship to keep your world bright during these long, solstice nights.

Moose

This is like getting another Christmas present.

Thank you Thirteen. I can't wait to open it.

Happy Holidays to you all.

Blessings..........Moose

bec

Is this what you mean Thirteen ?

Thirteen

LOL! Yes that's what I meant :p

Trust you to figure out a way to keep the numbers in place. Thanks!

bec

Ok, seems no one wanna go first with this one *S* so I´ll break the table.

Since this spread is for wrapping up I´ll use Fairyhegdehog again and the reading from the horse shoe.

Cards:
#1: Merging (4 swords)
#2: The Well (ace of cups)
#3: Memories (6 of cups)
#4: The Sacred Flame (ace of swords)
#5: Struggle ( 5 of wands)
#6: Deception (7 of swords)
#7: The Four Winds (ace of wands)

I´m still using shapeshifter.

My first impression of this layout is, a new start with somethng old (could be a returning once loved one). A new way of thinking. A new passion showing. Strugglin with and decieved by some one near by or from the past.

(#1)The main issue here is still making a new way of living for your self. It seems you´re spending time meditating, thinking on how to go about it. You see your self as one with all things and this could be the way you wanna live.

(#5)You are strugglin your way through, someone very close to you is not helping at all, I can´t help thinking it could be the devil again from the horse shoe spread.

(#6)It looks like you already have putted your trust to a person you maybe are discovering to be less trustworthy,

(#2+#3)this is giving you a hard lesson in how to combine wisdom and love. putting the pieces together from your experiences and memories should give you the skills to devide trash from the good guys.

(#3)It will give some strong memories, some good times will be darkned with shadows and the dark times you might wanna paint just a tad brighter, in all your time of looking back may not be the happiest of times for you, but you already know it must be done.

(#5+#6) As I see your cards your very much alone on this one, both friends and foes are giving you a hard time, fighting you in every way, they ( though I think it´s ONE person) might even be decieving you for personal gain.

(#6)If you have any disfavorable doings from the past, this process will bring them out, make sure to face your own responsibilities and don´t deny them.

(#4)It seems in order to get want you want, you´re about to make some very tough decisions here, some of them might hurt so much that you are vague in making them, but it´s not gonna do you any good not to.

(#5)The dicision you have to make is yours alone, no one will help you make it, it may lead to a seperation from some one close to you.

(Summon up the spread+#7) By letting your self free, dealing with the past, making the decisions required, breaking up old patterns, discovering who´s stealing your love for personal gain, not loving back, cutting those off that are against you, learning to trust and love those who deserve it, you´ll be giving your self the space and time you need for that new way of life you crave so much for. You will have the world for your feet free to do what ever you wanna do.

That´s what I´m getting from this, it looks to me like the devil from last reading is having a stronger hold on "querent" than first met the eye, seems to me he´s the very close by foe that needs a bolt of lightning in the a..... (the sacred flame illustrates a woman struck by lightning hence dicisions may not always be nice to make but they do clear up the wether )

What do you think ? I would love feedback from you fairyhedgehog if you read it *S*

Thirteen

bec (28 Dec, 2001 06:16):

That´s what I´m getting from this, it looks to me like the devil from last reading is having a stronger hold on "querent" than first met the eye, seems to me he´s the very close by foe that needs a bolt of lightning in the a..... (the sacred flame illustrates a woman struck by lightning hence dicisions may not always be nice to make but they do clear up the wether )

LOL! Oh, I do *LIKE* this interpetation of the card. Really excellent. I love the way you interweave the cards, bec. NICE reading!

harleyquinn

hello

hey thirteen i really like this spread its cool but the thing is it looked familiar and sure enough it was at the back of the LWB of joseph vargos gothic tarot thing it differs on the meanings but i don't know its still cool though i like ur meanings more anyway
*~~HARLEYQUINN~~*

Alta

harleyquinn said:
hey thirteen i really like this spread its cool but the thing is it looked familiar and sure enough it was at the back of the LWB of joseph vargos gothic tarot thing it differs on the meanings but i don't know its still cool though i like ur meanings more anyway
*~~HARLEYQUINN~~*
Thirteen, as she mentions, took these spreads from Sandor Konraad's book "Classic tarot Spreads", published in 1985. So, about 17 years before Vargo's Gothic.

It was a series of threads intended to teach about spreads, using the book as a basis.

regards,
Marion