was there a wooden-boxed Thoth?

Dark Victory '39

Christmas fantasy time has set in, and i was recalling on the phone w/ a cousin the other night about how my favorite childhood present was one she received when we were 11 or 12: it was a thoth in a wooden box-- this would have been the late eighties, maybe 1988 or 89.

It was the first tarot deck i had ever seen and i fell in love with the 9 of swords; i still think the 'nauseating' color scheme of that card is just gorgeous; it made me think of red glowing candles in a snowstorm, or something weirdly sacred (probably more like a 5 of coins background sanctuary). Anyway, my question is did the deck exist packaged in a wooden box? More pleasing than the hypothetical box is that i swear it was a size that is neither quite as large as the large one now put out by U.S. games, but it certainly was larger than the regular size. This is where memory gets distorted and Proust would come after me, and say, see, you're getting old, too.

Off to my first christmas celebration of the year w/ unfortunate relatives. If i don't respond right away, that's where i'll be: drinking eggnog, hampered by my memories, standing in the corner going, hmmm...did the Sears Roebuck catalogue ever carry a thoth. lol.

nisaba

Perhaps the giver of the gift put the deck into a wooden box ... sounds like an awesome gift for a kid that age!

Dark Victory '39

Nisaba!!

you know that must have been it; that's what i asked my cousin and she doesn't know. We were trying to figure out who gave it to her and she thinks it was a young/ aunt uncle (but someone who had a paying job). I don't even want to track it down bc of the mythical box so much as the size. Which i guess must have been the large. anyways, thanks for responding. I did think there must have been some fanfare here if a wooden boxed edition did exist. Ah memory.

Dark Victory '39

The funnier anecdote to all this is that i didn't know the deck was a thoth and so i spent a good chunk of my teenage years wondering what it was called and looking in any bookshop that had tarot for it. In my mind i probably expected to see the 'ruin' card on the box or something. lol. I bet i walked by a thoth deck every single time, countless times unaware that it lay so near. And bc it was in that damn wooden box i never saw what the actual box looked like. Yeah, it is funny. And she didn't like her gift like i liked it; two years later when i finally got up the nerve to ask her what her deck was called, she'd forgotten all about it, forgot the name. A mystery that wd take a couple decades to solve.

Dark Victory '39

cruelty

In my mind i probably expected to see the 'ruin' card on the box or something. lol. I bet i walked by a thoth deck every single time, countless times

i mean 'cruelty' not ruin. lol. Needless to say not a big reading deck for me, though as an adult i trimmed my large so there are no titles, and highlighted the glyphs w/ a metallic pen. As an eleven or twelve year old i'm sure the key words of ruin and cruelty made the whole operation more magnetic.