Possibilities: What happens next? (Tarot Spread for the Writer)

ArwenNightstar

This is my second writer's spread. (Bec, you may publish this with a link back to my pages.) This one is a more difficult lay out but it is designed for a plot with two leads. In my case, normally a hero and a heroine, but this could be used for the protagonist and the antagonist. Just change the pronouns to suit yourself.

Possibilities Spread

-----------8------------
----7-----------7------
4---6-- 5---4---6---5
--2---3-------2---3---
----1-----------1-------

HER HIM

I lay the female out on the left hand side and the male out on the right side to equate the polarity of energy and the receptivity of the feminine energy and the projectivity of the masculine energy.

This spread is a double spread. Both sides are read the same way. The eighth card is for both. It is where each will take you next in your book. You can use it or not use it as you see fit.

1. Possible next move

2. How it affects her

3. How it affects him.

4. What makes her do this

5. What makes him do this

6. Why does this happen?

7. Outcome for this possibility

8. Clarification Card.

firemaiden

This sounds very promising, ArwenNightstar; writing from Tarot cards is something I have been interested in exploring recently. I even began a story thread yesterday, with a spread I had hoped others would write something from. (So far only a two people have taken up the challenge), I wonder if you might share some examples of some writing inspired by your spread?

Also, I was a bit surprised at the jump between 2-3 affecting, and 4-5 doing. I guess from feeling affected by something and doing something about it is a pretty big gap. Any thoughts?

ArwenNightstar

Well I made an error in the layout. There should only be one #1 card! Let me take a look at this. :) Been a while, but I really want to kick all the kinks out of it so your questions are VERY helpful!

ArwenNightstar

Revised Possibilities Spread (Tarot for Writers)

firemaiden said:
Also, I was a bit surprised at the jump between 2-3 affecting, and 4-5 doing. I guess from feeling affected by something and doing something about it is a pretty big gap. Any thoughts?

Here is the revised version. I actually haven't had a chance to sit down and play with this yet. :) But as you can see, I pared it down quite a bit. I have a characterization spread as well. :)

Possibilities Spread
.....6-C1.............6-C1...
4-C1...5-C1.....5-C2...4-C2
.....1-C1.............1-C2...

This spread is a double spread. It is where each will take you next in your book. Each side will be for the character you designate it for. Myself, I would use the left for the female and the right for the male.

1-C1. Significator Card for Character One (C1)
1-C2. Significator Card for Character Two (C2)
3. Situation: This card will reveal the situation they are about to face.
4. Character's outer response to situation. This is how they seem to feel about it.
5. Character's inner response to situation. This is how they feel about it or how it makes them feel.
6. Character's response to the other character's outer response. How does his reaction affect her? How does hers affect him?
7. Where does this move the plot?
8. Situation: This card will reveal the situation they are about to face. (if you want to use this to plot the book out, you simply repeat the layout.)"
"NOTES: If a scene doesn't move the plot, then it should be thoroughly examined. Does it support the development of the characters? Is it integral to the whole story? Remember, above all, this is your story. Look at the cards and let the pictures tell you a story so you can tell your story."

Chronata

writers spread

This is really a great spread!
It gave me some interesting and inventive ideas!

And it helped me finish a play,so I thank you for that!

Chronata

ArwenNightstar

Re: writers spread

Chronata said:
This is really a great spread!
It gave me some interesting and inventive ideas!

And it helped me finish a play,so I thank you for that!

Chronata

Fabulous! Can you tell me what cards seemed to work and if any didn't? Congratulations on that "finis"!

Baby Owl

Re: Revised Possibilities Spread (Tarot for Writers)

ArwenNightstar said:
Situation: This card will reveal the situation they are about to face. (if you want to use this to plot the book out, you simply repeat the layout.)"

This is a really neat idea! I do wonder how this would work, though, in terms of consistency in a longer piece. It seems like the cards you draw for the characters' reactions could be "out of character" with the character traits established earlier. Am I making sense?

Baby Owl

ArwenNightstar

Re: Re: Revised Possibilities Spread (Tarot for Writers)

Baby Owl said:
This is a really neat idea! I do wonder how this would work, though, in terms of consistency in a longer piece. It seems like the cards you draw for the characters' reactions could be "out of character" with the character traits established earlier. Am I making sense?

Baby Owl

Makes perfect sense to me, Baby Owl. What I would say is play with it and see what it does. I have not actually done this spread. LOL! I need to though.

Baby Owl

Re: Re: Re: Revised Possibilities Spread (Tarot for Writers)

ArwenNightstar said:
Makes perfect sense to me, Baby Owl. What I would say is play with it and see what it does. I have not actually done this spread. LOL! I need to though.

I look forward to "test driving" it! :)

Baby Owl

ArwenNightstar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Revised Possibilities Spread (Tarot for Writers)

Baby Owl said:
I look forward to "test driving" it! :)

Baby Owl

Do let me know what you find out! :) I just found out I am not going to have to stay late tonight so I can catch up with my readings I owe folks. YAY!