Jerry Kay Book of Thoth Tarot

Fulgour

Over the Top style used

Hi :) Rosanne! I think the 1980 version of The Fool
was a separate project, and just a single piece job.

Maybe he designed it with himself as the model? :)
It seems like the fun sort of a thing artists will do.

Aeon418

Fulgour said:
Sor-r-r-r-y :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Aeon418, there was a world war,
you see, and drugs were being used for needy things
so cold turkey Crowley winged a frenzied jibberjabber
and could only get it in print by doing so in his journal.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's what I like about you Fulgour. You never let the facts get in the way of a good yarn. :laugh:

A little bit of research would have revealed that the original edition of The Book of Thoth was printed on hand made paper, and therefore exempt from wartime paper restrictions. ;)

Emily

So that's probably what happened then - Jeremy Kay's deck is a Thoth clone. And he would have seen the images from the book, got his deck in print before Crowley's Thoth.

It might even be classed as the first Thoth clone deck. :)

Rosanne

Hi Emily! It would seem so- that it is a clone. The first inspiration, as I know nothing about Mr Kay- might have come from Crowley's Journal called The Equinox: Book of Thoth -A Short Essay on the Tarot of the Egyptians, Equinox Volume III, No.V. (I understand there were 10 issues) Then he expanded that and self published in 1944 The Book of Thoth to go with the Cards painted by Freida Harris. I will wait until Fulgour receives his deck and see what the LWB says. Interesting, as I did not know the Thoth was ever cloned. ~Rosanne

Emily

If Fulgour gets a few more scans up, it will be interesting to see the Minors.

The deck might even take the award for being the first ever clone deck to be published before the original. LOL

Aeon418

Rosanne said:
might have come from Crowley's Journal called The Equinox: Book of Thoth -A Short Essay on the Tarot of the Egyptians, Equinox Volume III, No.V. (I understand there were 10 issues) Then he expanded that and self published in 1944 The Book of Thoth to go with the Cards painted by Freida Harris.
Not quite. The Book of Thoth actually is the Equinox vol III, no.V.

Volume I, no.1 - 10: The Review of Scientific Illuminism was classed as a journal because of it's bi-annual publication. This is despite the fact that each number was hardback and over 200 pages each! (Sometimes 400+ pages.)

Volume 2 is classed as a volume of silence for obvious reasons. :laugh:
Volume 3, No.1 was Crowley's attempt to restart the Equinox series. But due to various financial problems and hysterical persecution of OTO members in Detroit, No.2 was never published and only survives as galley proofs.

After this the Equinox was continued in a rather sporadic fashion. Some of Crowley's later books were released under the imprint of the Equinox, even though they have little in common with the original Equinox, which was a mixture of magical instruction, plays, short stories, book reviews etc., etc. The editions after Vol III, No.2 are all books in their own right. No.3 The Equinox of the Gods, No.4 Eight Lectures on Yoga, No.5 The Book of Thoth, No.6 Liber Aleph, No.7 Shih Yi (I Ching), No.8 The Tao Teh King, No.9 The Holy Books of Thelema. Some of these weren't even published in Crowley's life time.

Fulgour

Aeon418 said:
That's what I like about you Fulgour. You never
let the facts get in the way of a good yarn.
Whilst I am a member of this forum, I am not
the topic of this thread, or any of the others
where you follow my posts with like mockery.

I am uncomfortable with you making me the
subject of your posts and would prefer that
you direct your comments to the discussion.

...do you have "The Ultimate Tarot" by Kay?
do you have the book that comes with it...?

Aeon418

Fulgour said:
Whilst I am a member of this forum, I am not the topic of this thread, or any of the others where you follow my posts with like mockery.
The trouble is that you repeatedly make statements about the Book of Thoth/Crowley that bear no relation to the actual facts. I know that you dislike Crowley. That's ok. :) But skewing well known historical facts because of this is a little dodgy. ;)

Fulgour

Aeon418 said:
The trouble is that you repeatedly make statements about the Book of Thoth/Crowley that bear no relation to the actual facts. I know that you dislike Crowley. That's ok. :) But skewing well known historical facts because of this is a little dodgy. ;)
Who's facts... yours?

As we see here: Jerry Kay wrote and published
"The Book of Thoth" (with Tarot cards) in 1968.

Insert facts [ HERE ] and let's get on with it! :laugh:

Rosanne

Hehehe Fulgour, OCD Moths with winking tics are attracted to the light- darting about, flapping their wings, spreading Moth dust- but they cannnot stay away from the light. Metaphorically speaking- when one lands on your palm- Clap hands! .....but to stay on topic have you any idea the age or Birthdate of Mr Kay? I have only found the Kaplan bit about him. ~Rosanne