No support system

NamasteIndia

Taking up tarot professionally without support system is not possible.

Not having siblings, friends, spouse or anybody else helping or supporting the consultancy eventually leads nowhere

And it ends up more like a hobby, passion or timepass

Also one who gets support takes it up and reaches a high quickly

Debra

Namaste, I"m not sure what's going on with you, but please don't be discouraged. Perhaps cultivating a small number of steady clients is possible, as a sideline if not a steady job :heart:

lilac04

Hi Namaste,

Can you ask your friends (very encouragingly) if they like free readings to start out with? That's how some other readers I know started out.

Nemia

What about teaching tarot? If you feel you have the knowledge, why not offer a course where you instruct others? Nobody gets rich by teaching but it has many benefits. I don't teach tarot (yet) but I know that I learn so much myself by teaching. And you'd expand the circle of your acquaintances who associate you with tarot, who can recommend you to others and spread the message. These things can take a long time but in every profession, you need patience to build up a reputation.

I've been thinking for quite some time I'd like to expand my tarot studies and practice by giving courses; didn't do it yet for various reasons. It seems to me a good way to put yourself "on the map".

Citrin

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts...
I see a lot of people online starting tarot businesses that they do full time, but at the same they are economically supported by their spouse. I could never do that, I need to have my independence and private finances to feel like a free person. :( It would be wonderful to work full time with tarot and healing, but it really is hard for most of us. It takes years to build a stable client base, and the competition is usually quite tough.

But I must say, don't underestimate how much fun a "hobby business" can be! I've very much enjoyed selling readings through my Etsy shop. Some days it has been tough, when I've worked my 8 hours at my day job, come home hungry and tired, and had to finish two big readings... But so wonderful being able to help people, even if it's the only two people I read for during one week. :)

Barleywine

Since I don't do on-line reading, I was constrained when I decided to return to professional practice after many years away. I casually mentioned my tarot interest to a local pagan bookshop owner who just happened to be looking for new readers (it was a stroke of luck); she sets up bookings for me and takes a cut. Since I'm in it more for the experience and fun rather than the money, and I'm interested in seeing her succeed, this is a perfect set-up for both of us. If this kind of support system is available to you, it's worth looking into.

Thoughtful

l also started my readings in a little shop that sold all things new age. l had got to know the owner and we came to an agreement that was suitable for us both. In fact she became a good friend. l really liked working in there with all the scent of the candles and incense wafting around. Form there it expanded by word of mouth.
It lasted quite a while for me until she upped sticks to go to Australia.

Perhaps Namaste you could find something similar, l wish you well.

Achlys

I agree, the struggle to build a business around tarot is very difficult without support. I don't really have any family or friends who are very into tarot locally, but I'm still going to try my best :)
There's a lot of competition, but there are also a lot of seekers out there...just have to stay positive and work hard.

AnemoneRosie

I don't have support either; I go to school full-time and I work two part-time jobs (and then have my tarot job on top of that, where I work for a couple websites as well as doing in-person readings). Most people that I know consider card-reading a passing phase for me, and so they don't support me going into business. I've stopped telling them.

Instead, I focus on all of the obligations in my life, and donate professional services to community events such as raffles and fundraisers. I put out business cards when I do this so that other people can contact me for a reading if they so choose. No, it's not full time, and it isn't intended to be. If it buys my groceries every now and again then that's fine. There's nothing wrong with going slow and steady :) I believe that it's a much safer bet than burning out for trying to do too much, too fast.

NamasteIndia

Namaste, I"m not sure what's going on with you, but please don't be discouraged. Perhaps cultivating a small number of steady clients is possible, as a sideline if not a steady job :heart:

getting clients is fine. but i need a place where i can sit regularly.

i can't get people into my home
and online readings are not in fad in my country