Sheridan Douglas - 2 of Cups

Sulis

When I first saw this card I didn't like it at all but now, after using the deck for a few months, I've decided that like most of the other cards in this wonderful deck, it has hidden depths.

The first thing that grabs me with this card are the colours... bold and 'in your face' and not a trace of blue (the usual colour associated with Cups) in sight.

The background is bright red and to me, red is a very emotional colour.
Red for passion, vitality, courage, health, blood, life force anger and sexuality.
Red in China is a lucky colour I think and stands for luck and success.
Red is one of those colours that demands to be noticed - there's no ignoring something if it's red.

The couple pictured in this card are kissing... Not only are they kissing, they are actually joined at the mouth, making them almost one.
They have gone past merely toasting each other, I presume that the glasses have been drained and are now empty, they each hold a yellow or gold cup as they embrace.

The couple are coloured orange.
Orange is a mixture of red and yellow. It mixes intellect with passion, courage, love, anger (whatever you perceive the red to be).
Orange to me is a colour of creativity, courage and confidence.

This card speaks to me more of a joining of emotions, of feelings coming together rather than of choice or choices.

I'd love to hear what others who use this deck think of this card.

Edited to add this image:http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Sheridan Douglas tarot/2cups.jpg

Alfred Douglas

Two of Cups

When David first showed me his drawing for the Two of Cups I was unsure about it as it seemed too abstract and modern; it had none of the medieval visual references which on most of the Minor cards linked them to the Majors. But then I saw it in colour and the power of the image came through. The message is very simple and it doesn't need a lot of detail to spell it out.

Moonbow

A completely different depiction to the Two of Cups in a Marseilles deck but I see the meaning to be extremely similar in that this is the stage where two are on the verge of becoming one, but at this moment are still separate.

The Marseilles is depicted as a water fountain (at least to me) and I see each side as pouring a part of themselves into the other, much like this card does so I am delighted to see this modern version of how I would read this card in a Marseilles deck.

The colours are fabulous, and I like to think that the colours of a Marseilles would once have been just as vibrant as these when it was new.

Sheridan Douglas Two of Cups

Hadar Marseilles Two of Cups