View Single Post
The Thirteenth Moon

Thirteen 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming in tarot
Look at the pointy-eared, grimacing head which is the knob on the lid (often the heraldic royal eagle). Allow yourself to see a hulking body with arms, in the rest of the lid and cup. *Imagine* an "unholy" chalice. Oh, and look again at the knight's blank eyes while you're on the website!
AH! I see what you mean. You mean that the nob on top looks like it has horns and the rest could be seen as some sort of demonic body. Yes. It does look that way.

Quote:
like whether this fellow really is Christian, or is just pretending; whether his soul won't let him rest until he destroys that object and its contents, idealist that he is, or whether his "fantastic imagination that might be put to "dark" arts is dominating.
Well, it could go either way. A lot of these cards seem to have a really clear story to them. This one is not so clear.

Among our options are:
1) He could *think* himself a Christian/Crusader (remember our Judge with his book on burning witches), but be working, unwittingly, even zealously for evil.
2) He could be, as you suggest, in disguise. Evil dressed up as a Christian/Crusader in order to get into the castle and steal the item. But he's no such thing. Or maybe he's just still wearing the garments he wore when he was "changed" into whatever he is now. So he was one but is no longer one.
3) He could really be a Christian/Crusader but doing this against his will (possessed? manipulated by some "master"? under a curse?).

And in any of these scenarios, he could be snatching the item to take it back to someone for evil purposes, or to use it for evil purposes himself, or to destroy it.

Ultimately, as the Knight/Cups is often seen as a "Grail" knight, I think what we have here is the ultimate "dark" Grail Knight, and by that I mean both the Knight is dark (on a dark quest) and the grail is dark (unholy). I would guess that the iconic red cross of a Crusader there is ironic. The uniform might honestly be his, but I rather doubt he's ever been a true Knight. In this deck, there seems to be an on-going theme of people playing dress-up. That is, whether they are really, say a Justice or just pretending to be, say a Duchess, the clothes they wear are a costume that hides their true nature, while giving them the trappings of position and power.

This deck plays a wonderful game with the reader. A lot of it's characters ask the question, "Who am I really under this wig/robe/crown?" (Or "Who was I?"). What their trappings say they are often isn't what they are at all.
Top   #17