THE EMPEROR,STAR & JUSTICE

Aeon418

Fronterance said:
Then, I remembered the "0=2 Unicursal Hexagram as Hyperbola" article I read about the curve of a hyperbola and how it relates to the idea of infinity and creates a Unicursal Hexagram.
Sounds interesting! Is this article online?

Fronterance

So... did you like the article?

Aeon418

Yeah..... it was interesting. But it still doesn't bring us any closer to understanding why Crowley used this symbol and in what context.

The author tries to link the Uni-Hex to 0=2 within the context of Reguli. I'm not so sure about that. The Uni-Hex in Reguli is the "Invoking Hexagram of the Beast". The Beast is a symbol of Tiphareth and the Sun. Also the Golden Dawn form of the Uni-Hex placed the Sun and Moon on the upper and lower points, with the four elements on the other points. Spirit was in the centre. That makes sense because the invoking hex of the Beast would then be a Solar invoking hex.

There's also a section in Magick Without Tears in which Crowley seems to forge an identity between the Unicursal Hexagram and the Rosy Cross, another symbol of Tiphareth and 5=6.

Fronterance

Did you know the unicursal hexagram was "invented" by a mathemetician named Pascal who stated that it represented the center of a circle which is everywhere, the circumfrance of which is nowhere? That puts you and me and everything else at the center of creation. God is everywhere. Also, bring to mind the Sun symbol and John Dee's "Hieroglyphics Monad."

The same thing is described by this understanding of the Unicursal Hexagram as a symbol for the hyperbola. This is exactly what Pascal was saying, since his discovery of the unicursal hexagram came from his study of conics, of which the hyperbola is a very strange aspect which results in a unicursal hexagram. So, it seems logical that it would also be what Crowley was saying. Especially, since Crowley put every man and woman at the center of creation: Every man and woman is a star (sun symbol), you have no right to but thy will ("not my will, but thine"). The True Will is the influx of the One Will as the superconsciousness projects into the Soul. Along these paths from Bina and Chokmah to Tiphareth are the various combinations of the archetypes which take shape in Tiphareth as the Son/Sun or soul of man. This soul then projects into the personality of Yesod which reflects to the Self-consciousness of man in Malkuth.

Aeon418

It makes an interesting comparison with the opening of chapter 2 of The Book of the Law:
1. Nu! the hiding of Hadit.

2. Come! all ye, and learn the secret that hath not yet been revealed. I, Hadit, am the complement of Nu, my bride. I am not extended, and Khabs is the name of my House.

3. In the sphere I am everywhere the centre, as she, the circumference, is nowhere found.

4. Yet she shall be known & I never.

Fronterance

I wrote up a whole big thing on http://www.heruraha.net ... check it out. The title is called "Hexagram, Hyperbola, Projective Synthetic Geometry of Thoth" under the General Discussions section. Heruraha.net does not allow direct linking or else I would give you a link right to it... but it is right there about 1/2way down the page once you click General Discussions.

AbstractConcept

Aeon418 said:
One thing that Lon's Thoth book seems to suffer from is poor proof reading. There are a few quite noticeable typos in the text. But that seems to be a common feature of Weiser's books these days for some reason. And their paper quality seems to have gone down hill a bit as well. But the poor paper keeps the price down. :(

Agreed. I've found that all his Weiser books are poorly edited. I went through his Thoth Book and AutoBio with a highlighter and marked out all the errors. i was going to send it back to the publisher with editing marks in the margins but thought it was a bit too anal :p

ravenest

Go for it ... they might give you a job!