Interesting TdM Mold

le pendu

I was looking through images on the Bibliothèque nationale de France site, and came across a very interesting TdM mold.

bn.jpg

This is what the site says about it (In French):

cote cliché:RC-A-47517
légende:Moule en bois des figures d'un tarot : coupes et bâtons (cartes à jouer)
département:Estampes et photographie
cote du document :RES KH-382 (19)
partie de:Jeu de cartes
folio, pagination:Numéro 19
catégorie:Objets d'art et d'artisanat
descripteur(s):jeu de cartes
Unfortunately, I can't find a higher res version, so had to blow it up in photoshop to really get a look at it. I wish I had a better version to work with; but even starting with this there are some very interesting details to notice.

The first thing that strikes me is that the cards are an interesting mix of "TdM I" and "TdM II". Most of the time, they look very similar to the Dodal, but now and then I notice similarities to the Conver. Where it gets interesting is that sometimes, the images seem clearer to me than either of them; and that's rather interesting.

Now, some of the details show what I would call an "Italian" origin. These are subtle details that I've noticed on decks like the Drago Tarot.

I find the similarities and differences very fascinating, and I hope you will to.

I'll post some images for comparison.

le pendu

I'm going to start with my favorite, the Queen of Coins. Poor dear, she's even been compared to Uncle Fester from the Addams Family.

Here she is from Noblet, Dodal, and Conver:

coins13.jpg
dodal_DQ.jpg
conver_DQ.jpg

Now here she is on the BN mold:

bn_DQ.jpg

WHOA! It seems our Queen has been visiting some Hollywood surgeons! No longer the frumpy Queen, our gal is now the sexpot of the court cards! Va Va Voom!

In many ways, this card is most similar to the Dodal. The baton in her hand does not have the fleur de lys on the tip.

I'm struck by the clarity of many of the lines, especially in her dress. I'm also delighted to see the pillow that her feet are resting on. Notice her foot sticking out from under her gown.

I double checked the Drago, and sure enough, the neckline is similar to the BN mold.

d02059dQ.jpg

le pendu

Here's the Queen of Batons, and the Drago version

bn_BQ.jpg
d02059cQ.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Conver
batons13.jpg
dodal_BQ.jpg
conver_BQ.jpg

Not too many differences here. I do notice that the lower left corner has some strong blocks in it. I'm not sure if that is a plant on the lower right, if so, she might be outside. Again, it's the clarity that strikes me. Notice the lines in her puffy sleeves. It looks like she too has a beauty mark on her cheek like the sexpot, I mean, Queen of Coins. I love the "guards" on her forearms.

le pendu

Up next, the Queen of Cups

BN Mold and Drago
bn_CQ.jpg
d02059hQ.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Chosson
cups13.jpg
dodal_CQ.jpg
d-c.jpg

Not much difference here. I notice details behind the Queen but still can't figure out what is supposed to be shown. The "drape" in front of her is similar to the Drago and Dodal, squared rather than curled.

EnriqueEnriquez

Hey Pendu,

This is very interesting. Can you tell me if this “mold” is like a wooden block, akin to a rubber stamp?

Best,

EE

le pendu

The Valet of Cups

BN Mold and Drago
bn_CV.jpg
d02059hJ.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Conver
cups11.jpg
dodal_CV.jpg
conver_CV.jpg

Okay, right away I'm struck by the cup. In this recent thread, we discuss the cups being covered or not, as well as what is in the Valet's other hand.

Again this mold and the Drago agree... the cup is BOTH open and half covered!

Another very important feature is to notice that the mold and the Drago do not have titles on their Valet!

The ground is very similar to the Dodal and Noblet.

His hair is very similar to the Conver.

le pendu

EnriqueEnriquez said:
Hey Pendu,

This is very interesting. Can you tell me if this “mold” is like a wooden block, akin to a rubber stamp?

Best,

EE

Well, that's my impression. I believe we are looking at a wooden block mold used to produce cards. Fascinating isn't it?!

le pendu

The Valet of Coins

BN Mold
bn_DV.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Conver
coins11.jpg
dodal_DV.jpg
conver_DV.jpg

Now this one is interesting. Noblet, Dodal, and Conver all disagree on which way the Valet faces. Noblet looks away from the Coin, Dodal looks straight ahead, Conver looks toward the Coin.

In many ways, this figure seems like a combination of the Dodal and the Conver. The face is similar to the Conver; but just sort-of looking at the coin. Long blond hair falls down his back.

The background is plain, like the Noblet and the Dodal.

Differing from all of them, this Valet has buttons running down the front of his coat. I like the detail in his sleeve, notice on the right side how the coat seam winds around under his arm? The others don't do this.

Oddly, his "skirt" doesn't have the same detail that the others offer.

Once again, no title.

Unfortunately, the Drago card is missing, so I can't make a comparison.

jmd

Correct Enrique: 'molds' are really stamps upon which is rolled ink, and then a sheet of card-paper.

These are really interesting in their detail!

...and I look forward to le pendu's discussion of especially the cavaliers and the Kings!

It does seem excessively close to the Drago - and yet the details appear to make it an antecedent of the Drago... looking forward to more detailed comparisons (whilst I continue to enjoy their close image similarities on another open window :))

Great find!

le pendu

The Valet of Cups

BN Mold and Drago
bn_BV.jpg
d02059cJ.jpg

Noblet, Dodal, Conver
batons11.jpg
dodal_BV.jpg
conver_BV.jpg

Here the relationship between the BN mold and the Drago is extremely clear. Both wear a round helmet with some sort of shield coming down the back. Looking at the the "V" shape on their back, they both have a line going up the middle which intersects the V. They both also hold the club with a similar twist to their hand. Like the Noblet and the Dodal, the club has two sawed off branches. Again, neither of them have a title.

The Noblet, Dodal, and Conver all seem to see a curve at the bottom of the hanging wrap/cape.