Magical Forest - High Priestess

karen0205

from lwb:

II - The High Priestess
Wise Owl peers into the night and perches motionless between two trees as if he were the pillar of a temple. He conceals and reveals, always with an enigmatic glance. "You who know all, who has studied all the books of the forest, tell me the secrets you keep!"

The big eyes on the High Priestess are like she's looking right at you and into you. She is completely focused on you. The points on the banner above her head really draw your attention to her eyes, they are definitely the focus of the card. Her robe is light and airy and is a big contrast to the hard marble or stone she is standing on. It makes her seem approachable like she is there to help. She also does not seem relaxed. She's standing and seems like there's something to do, she's ready to get to work. I like the colors of this card too.

Attachments

• 2  High Priestess.jpg
    2 High Priestess.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 449

r0sered1ster

Magical Forest- The High Priestess

When I look into her eyes, I'm struck by the idea that they are big because she sees everything and adds it to her little book of information. The red banner above her head, to me, symbolizes the separation between conscious and unconscious and the designs remind me in a way of pineapples. Behind appears to be a mountain and I wonder what is on the path that leads there. She does look approachable and kind, qualities that appeal to someone that might be somewhat timid. So asking her a question would not be a scary thing.

GryffinSong

What is the significance of the "B" and "J" on the dark and light pillars behind her? Does anyone know? Is that on other types of decks? Looking at my Hanson-Roberts, I see dark and light pillars, but no letters.

I really love how the moon nestles in the lower right front.

I do love this card. It's like she understands and appreciates and feels the wonder of everything. I often see religious types as not feeling much of anything. So many christian groups have priests and such who are supposed to stifle normal urges. This priestess looks like she sees the magic in the world. Very sweet and approachable!!! :D

r0sered1ster

The words are Hebrew: Boaz means "in strength" and Jachin means "he establishes." These pillars are symbolic of the balance and reverence of higher power the High Priestess represents. I can put in the link to the page, but I'm not really sure how...

GryffinSong

Thanks for the hebrew reference. I hadn't noticed that in other decks. :)

r0sered1ster

I only noticed it as a small footnote at the bottom of a page which referenced some "traditional" decks, I'm guessing they mean Rider-Waite. I have several decks, by no means a great collection but I myself had not even noticed or thought about it much until your post...thank you for bringing it up, it helps a lot when just learning!

GryffinSong

Just dug out my Universal Waite, and it's got big "B" and "J" on the pillars too. In fact, it's funny, because her cross is right between them, so it looks like it says "B + J". Also, she's holding a book in her hands, and in the Waite I can see that it says "Tora". Presumably the "h" is under her cloak.

karen0205

The cross has both lengths of the cross are equal representing the balance of positive and negative forces.

The pomegranates on the banner are supposed to represent the female elements and the leaves represent the male elements. It is supposed to remind you that they subconcoius is capable of reproducing, producing more information. Maybe through meditation?

Ruby7

I love this High Priestess, she seems so wise and gentle. I find there is a lot of atmosphere to this card, the banner is flapping in the breeze and I can almost imagine myself right there.

Quester

She seems like she is saying I know things that you might want to know, but I won't interrupt you...I will wait until you are ready to hear from me.