Golden Tarot

Tarotphelia

retrokat said:
My 88 year old grandmother was looking at my (draft) Golden Tarot deck recently and when she got to:
she commented, "He hasn't got much to love with, has he?".

__Naughty Grandma !!!

But seriously, I am very glad The Day We've All Been Waiting For is on the horizon . I will occupy my mind with schemes for the perfect bag until then.

Now: What next? Might I suggest a tarot using the Pre-Raphaelite works?? (Please?.. Pretty Please?)

Tarotphelia

littlegreen

she commented, "He hasn't got much to love with, has he?".

-it's all in the beard.

retrokat

Awww, thanks for your kind words Tarotphelia. It's been over a year since I handed over the deck, so it's been a bit of a wait for me too... Apparently its featured in the new USGS catalogue, as I've received emails from bookshops telling me how much they like it. Yay! I've asked USGS for a copy, maybe it will finally seem real when I see that.

Tarotphelia said:

Now: What next? Might I suggest a tarot using the Pre-Raphaelite works?? (Please?.. Pretty Please?)

Tarotphelia
I love the Pre-Raphs too, but the technical glitch is that in the UK, copyright exists until 80yrs after the death of the artist. Given when most Pre-Raphaelite paintings were done (and most of them were done by young men) that narrows the field of what I can use substantially. And negotiating usage rights for source material that isn't yet Public Domain is beyond my means :(

Maybe in a few decades? *grin*

I'm currently collecting source material for my next deck. I haven't got a deal yet, I figure it depends how well Golden Tarot does as to whether I get offered a contract for another deck so I haven't even put in a submission yet. And I guess I should keep my idea a bit quiet until/if I get a deal - considering how much piracy has gone on with Golden Tarot, my common sense tends to dominate over my trusting nature these days! I can tell you this much, though - it will be along the same lines as GT. But more so, if that makes sense.

Tarotphelia

retrokat said:

***I love the Pre-Raphs too, but the technical glitch is that in the UK, copyright exists until 80yrs after the death of the artist. Given when most Pre-Raphaelite paintings were done (and most of them were done by young men) that narrows the field of what I can use substantially. And negotiating usage rights for source material that isn't yet Public Domain is beyond my means :(

Maybe in a few decades? *grin*

__Omg ! (shoots self in head & dies of despair on the spot )

****considering how much piracy has gone on with Golden Tarot, my common sense tends to dominate over my trusting nature these days!

__Yes- you are right to be silent. (What sniveling cowards - real pirates at least had to fight for what they got !)

Tarotphelia

jmd

retrokat, I don't quite understand your Grandma's comment... he seems to have a choice of an Angel, a beautiful woman, a bird, or a dog. It seems to me he has quite a lot to love with... maybe I'm not looking in the right direction, and can't see the wood for the trees ;)

...looking forward to the public release of your deck - two wonderful decks released recently!

Cerulean

What is the name?

Unfortunately, U.S. Games titles take a long time for my small and favorite shop to get...what is the name of the title?

Do you know if an edition will come out first in Europe? I checked amazon.com but Kat Black or Golden Tarot doesn't have a pertinent entry.

Hedera

Counting the days.....

So, October, that would mean October first, hopefully? ;)

Add another 5 days or so for shipping from the US.... sigh.

Still so many weeks, days, hours away!

I prefer virtually all of the new cards to the first versions, apart from the Empress, perhaps.
I have the (old) Nine of Pentacles as my desktop right now; it could be a portrait of me.... ;)

Kat, have you heard anything from USGS yet about the retail price? Since it's already in their catalogue (wouldn't mind one of those catalogues, either...), shouldn't they have decided on that by now?

Jeannette

Re: U.S. Games catalogue?

Mari_Hoshizaki said:
Do you know if an edition will come out first in Europe?
I don't know of any instances where USG has released to the European market prior to making their titles available in North America.

-- Jeannette
http://www.tarotgarden.com

retrokat

Hey Jeannette,

Perhaps you've seen the catalogue and can tell us a RRP? Nice to have an Industry Insider (ie, vendor!) on our boards ;)

As soon as I get the USGS catalogue myself I'll post whatever I can deduce from it here, and on the site - maybe even scan it.

You guys are TOO sweet! :D I may get a swelled head.

Actually, I just have bleary eyes. I'm working on a calendar (for 2005, so don't get your hopes up yet) for a small spiritual publishing house, so I'm pixel-pushing madly again. So good to be back to it, I do love doing that kinda stuff. It's a good relatively small-scale test to see how well my partner and I can collaborate, as we'd like to work together on the next tarot deck.

Jeannette

Yup -- I've seen the USG catalog listing for the Golden Tarot now. I'm hoping to have the deck included on our website "Upcoming Releases" by next week.

RRP is listed at US$ 20. The catalog confirms October as the target release date. Here's the descriptive blurb that's included:

"Comprised of collage imagery from the European masters paintings, the Golden Tarot is a stunning addition to any tarot collection. The cards are beautifully treated with gilt edges and the deck is specially packaged in a deluxe display box. While the deck pays tribute to artwork of the Middle Ages and early Renaissance, it celebrates the exploration of tarot and its artistic heritage. Kat Black's interpretation is both welcoming and modern while remaining true to the original traditions of the Rider-Waite."

[Any spelling errors that may appear in the above would be my own.]

There -- now we can all start salivating all over again!

-- Jeannette
http://www.tarotgarden.com

P.S. -- I've got an extra copy of the catalog. If you want me to send it your way, just let me know by forum post, PM, or direct email.