Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

AJ

The Everyday Witch Tarot.

Do I really want this deck or will I shortly find it kitsch?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/everyday-witch-tarot/

I thought the art was great, but all the black clothes and hats was a real disappointment. If there really covens that dress like that I'd be surprised. Pointy black hats? I'd never be able to take the intent of any other part of the deck seriously.

On the other hand there are cats in dresses out there so I may just have a low threshold of wtf.

euripides

Pointy black hats? I'd never be able to take the intent of any other part of the deck seriously.

yeah, nah I hear ya on that. I see what the artist was going for, but we don't need *that* much obvious.

Linfang

It's a beautiful deck, and I found it very easy to read with.

Thanks for your feedback, I ordered it this morning, can't wait for it to arrive!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Penthasilia

Rohrig

Is it worth it?

And if you are a fan- should I take the plunge for the original German or go with the English titles?

I don't know how much the censorship would bother me as long as the colors are equal and the card stock- if there is a marked change- that would be super helpful in making the decision.

Thanks!

euripides

Is it worth it?

oh dear gods yes.

And if you are a fan- should I take the plunge for the original German or go with the English titles?

I love the German language even if I don't speak it - enough exposure to occasionally get a vague idea as to what it's about - so I'd probably go with the German if I was to buy it again. The deck gets a lot of grief for being somewhat sexist-sexy 80s, but while the 'boobs galore' thing usually annoys me in game art and tarot, for some reason in this deck it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's that wise Hierophant who I'm abstractly in love with.

A few of the cards diverge a little and aren't easy to read, but the art is just gorgeous. It's great for those big life-issue readings. I always have the feeling that it can't quite be bothered with trivial stuff. You ask and it says 'oh yeah, whatever, but do you know that the carbon in your cells came from a dying star?'

Penthasilia

oh dear gods yes.

I love the German language even if I don't speak it - enough exposure to occasionally get a vague idea as to what it's about - so I'd probably go with the German if I was to buy it again. The deck gets a lot of grief for being somewhat sexist-sexy 80s, but while the 'boobs galore' thing usually annoys me in game art and tarot, for some reason in this deck it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's that wise Hierophant who I'm abstractly in love with.

A few of the cards diverge a little and aren't easy to read, but the art is just gorgeous. It's great for those big life-issue readings. I always have the feeling that it can't quite be bothered with trivial stuff. You ask and it says 'oh yeah, whatever, but do you know that the carbon in your cells came from a dying star?'

Thank you and totally enabled! :)

Carojulie

Carojulie:
I had the same hesitations as you about the Starchild Akashic. I was afraid it was just "pretty" and "trendy". When I finally took the plunge I was super nervous, because it is a very expensive deck, especially considering the shipping price...

I was very pleasantly surprised though! Today the Starchild Akashic is in my top 10 if not top 5 favorite tarot decks, and I have 50 ;)

It has a lot of depth, and for me it's more varied that I would've thought, it can be used for meditation, for questions about career, love, spirituality etc... The guidebook is quite small but one of the BEST ones I've ever read! For me this deck is easy reading intuitively but some minors are quite abstract, so knowing numerology and elemental associations is useful for me at least.

It's very high quality and luxurious for sure! Amazing packaging. I personally like thin card stock hehe so this one is a bit too thick and sturdy for me. But that's personal taste... ;) I think the new smaller sized deck would be easier for me to shuffle.

Hi Citrin,
I am sorry it took me so long to thank you for your answer !
I have again today looked at the Starchild online. It is available for preorder, whith shipping coming very soon apparently. It calls to me.... but it is expansive and I should watch my deck buying (sight).
I try to reason with myself that I am not fond of all those pastel colors, but the images call to me anyway ! Thanks for sharing your experience !

banbha

I've recently come across some great pictures of Nefertari's Tarot by Lo Scarabeo on Amazon (and I love them) but the deck seems a little pricey. All that gold foil I suppose! Does anyone have it and have any advice? Is it worth it or not?

Penthasilia

Rohrig

oh dear gods yes.

Thank you again for the tip- I received it and did my first reading with this deck today- it is utterly divine! And agreed- very opinionated- probably why I love it. :D

Penthasilia

I've recently come across some great pictures of Nefertari's Tarot by Lo Scarabeo on Amazon (and I love them) but the deck seems a little pricey. All that gold foil I suppose! Does anyone have it and have any advice? Is it worth it or not?

I had it a long time ago- part of my gold/silver collection when I was collecting. I was actually rather meh about this deck. First of all- it was VERY gold, almost too much of a good thing. And the images were simply flat. It wasn't a deck that was easy to read with- I had to be significantly in the mood to read in order to get anything from it. And toward the end, before I ditched the collection, I didn't even bother pulling it out. Other than the ooo's and ahhh's of the gold, it was a pretty keepsake that wasn't very functional.