Religion and Tarot

boxxleman

Indigo Rose,

How do you perceive Tarot cards? As being a fully devoted Christian, I know reading Tarot books and listening what they say isn't God's word. And in the bible, it says God's word is the only one that counts. What I do is I try and use the Tarot as almost talking to God and getting closer to Him. Since I don't know all the card meanings yet (I'm getting there slowly), I use books to look them up, and read them as God would want me to read them, not by how the author would. What about you?

Jeff

gregory

Why shouldn't god speak through tarot cards as well as any other way ? - for those who need to feel this.... For those who believe, he is everywhere - why not there too ? TAROT CARDS ARE NOT FORTUNE TELLING (IMHO) - and that (if I recall right) is the only thing the bible mentions as a bad idea....

frelkins

God spoke to Moses through a bush. God spoke to Balaam through a donkey. God spoke to Nebuchanezzer by writing on a wall. Why can't he speak to you through Tarot? Don't you think God, who knows your heart, also knows the best way to speak to you personally? ;) Your relationship with Jesus is personal. Other people cannot judge it.

Nevada

boxxleman said:
Using tarot cards (for me) let's me tap into God's creation as the universe as a whole.
I'm spiritual, not religious, and I would agree wholeheartedly with this concept of using tarot.

Nevada

Gazel

frelkins said:
God spoke to Moses through a bush. God spoke to Balaam through a donkey. God spoke to Nebuchanezzer by writing on a wall. Why can't he speak to you through Tarot?

Exactly - and divination means as far as I'm concerned "Speaking with the gods". (A definition lacking in Merriam Webster).

I guess this religion/tarot discussion is all about how different religious and/or spiritual groups define God or gods, and what conclusions they draw from this definitions. If one knows by heart that it isn't bad or evil, it definitely isn't. It isn't. Telling other people what is good or bad for them is. I think.

As for me, I am some sort of a modern gnostic, thinking that all people via their Selves take part in divinity through a divine spark, and this divinity has something to do with knowledge, and knowing.

And I think that tarot is a tool or a way (in lack of better words) to access this knowledge, whether it is kept inside us or with the gods/God.

That was the short version. Hope it wasn't off topic.

Silverlyn

I am very spiritual but not religious, as well. I lean towards pagan/wicca paths and schools of thought, but am not limited to it.

I've belonged to many religions and groups (that were against Tarot, etc) in my life and I am so done with groups of any kind that limit,control, have rigid rules,etc.

Silverlyn

Silaria

I am Pagan with a very heavy Wiccan influence.

For me, the cards are a mediation tool and a method for me to look at problems from a different angle I may not have (or may not have wanted) to consider.

HearthCricket

I just thought I would toss this in the mix, here. Today, at our local New Age shop, a woman came in to sign up for a reading in January. The owner was asking about her, as she seemed familiar looking. In the end she didn't know her, but it was interesting to hear her say she taught CCD at a local Catholic Church. I always find it interesting that no matter what faith or how involved one may be in it, they still seem to often find their way to tarot, in spite of what the hierarchy may say about it. And the people I have read the most for have been active Catholics, Episcopalians, and Greek Orthodox. We are not alone in our thoughts about reading and enjoying tarot, by any means!

gregory

frelkins said:
God spoke to Moses through a bush. God spoke to Balaam through a donkey. God spoke to Nebuchanezzer by writing on a wall. Why can't he speak to you through Tarot? Don't you think God, who knows your heart, also knows the best way to speak to you personally? ;) Your relationship with Jesus is personal. Other people cannot judge it.
Love it ! What I said and much better. If God exists, I shall be hearing through a cat sometime soon................ :D

Indigo Rose

boxxleman said:
Indigo Rose,

How do you perceive Tarot cards? As being a fully devoted Christian, I know reading Tarot books and listening what they say isn't God's word. And in the bible, it says God's word is the only one that counts. What I do is I try and use the Tarot as almost talking to God and getting closer to Him. Since I don't know all the card meanings yet (I'm getting there slowly), I use books to look them up, and read them as God would want me to read them, not by how the author would. What about you?

Jeff

I view Tarot cards as a tool to gain insight and wisdom. The Bible is a different tool all together. However, I find many correlations in the Tarot imagery to lessons in the Word. I do talk to God. I do ask questions, and I do get answers...through the Tarot, Numbers, the Bible, and my Intuitive Body. I am learning to hear the messages through my intuition, dreams, visual images, key words and phrases, songs, and even smells. God speaks. I am trying to listen.

As for learning the Tarot, the book meanings are good for a basic framework but they are very limited. As a newbie, I learned the traditional meanings. However, intuitive reading is the best way to read in my opinion. By being open to the story unfolding in the images before you, there is so much more that can come to you than if you just try to apply traditional meanings.

I believe God knows the intentions of every heart that seeks answers from the Tarot. It is up to us to open our eyes and ears, that we might understand the answers.

‘The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the LORD.’
Proverbs 16:33

‘He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.’
Daniel 2:22

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; those who seek find; and to those who knock, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7+8

'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.' Jeremiah 33:3

"So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. Matthew 10:26

Be at peace and enjoy the journey, my friend. :love: