Blue Box Rider Waite RWS

missy

I have questions about the different versions of the Blue Box Rider Waite.

I read some about it on this thread (and others, to be mentioned shortly).

So, to recap the various blue box editions, as best as I understand it,

and please correct me, as I am trying to get it right here! ;)

I understand there is one blue "tuckbox" version with the World card on the front that is a Waddingtons (is Waddingtons on the side of the box?). I gather there are other blue "tuckbox" version(s) that have a different printer but not sure how the box is marked. (Muller? Rider?) Am not sure as to color of wreath/scarf on World card on these tuckbox editions. They may all be green wreaths with purple scarves as seen here in lower righthand corner: http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9194

I understand there is also a two-part blue box version. It seems to vary in quality depending on whether it is an early or late printing, if I understand correctly. The earlier ones I think (?) are Waddingtons; and the last printings of the blue box have the U.S. Games copyright (I think, I am not positive) and may not say Waddingtons. Basing some of my info on this post by Fulgour. The later ones seem to have a brighter blue in addition to the copyright. I am not sure whether this copyright appears on the box only or the cards.

As for the blue box and copyright, it appears from this post that the US Games copyright could have shown up on the cards as late as 1982.

More info on the blue boxes in this post which indicates there is a two-part blue box with yellow wreath and purple scarf printed by A.G. Mueller. BUT there is also a "slightly lighter" blue box which appears to have copyright (U.S. Games) on lower right margins of cards and thus would not be desirable if I understand correctly. This blue box version has a World card with a green wreath and purple scarf.

Is the blue box "tuckbox" version considered the superior one? Was it printed earlier than the two-part blue box version? If I did get a two-part blue box (lift-off lid), should I look for the one with yellow wreath and purple scarf?

Thanks! :D

gregory

I never saw a USG blue box - and now I wait patiently to stand corrected.

If you want to look at everything you want to know, Holly Voley's site is the place to look. She is working on boxes right now, but answers questions willingly.

Sulis

There isn't a 'tuckbox' blue box and it has never been published by USG.
The blue box is in 2 parts and the cards are published by Rider & Co. The cards don't have any copyright mark on them because it was before USG got the copyright.
The deck has a blue plaid back like the current USG version.
Sometimes the deck is called 'The Travellers Tarot' - still in a blue 2 part box with The World Dancer on it.

Edited to add: That thread you linked to is very comprehensive Missy. I'm not sure what you're asking in this thread.

gregory

I just looked at your image. The deck on the top is NOT what anyone referring to a blue box deck would call a blue box :); it is indeed a tuckbox and is USG. The bottom one IS a blue box, Waddington or Rider, and a liftoff.

The tuckbox one in the pic is widely available absolutely everywhere.

(Sulis, mine is indeed printed by Waddingtons for Rider; that is where that came from, I guess - it says "in association with Waddingtons" down one side of the box lid.)

Sulis

gregory said:
I just looked at your image. The deck on the top is NOT what anyone referring to a blue box deck would call a blue box :); it is indeed a tuckbox and is USG. The bottom one IS a blue box, Waddington or Rider, and a liftoff.

The tuckbox one in the pic is widely available absolutely everywhere.

(Sulis, mine is indeed printed by Waddingtons for Rider; that is where that came from, I guess - it says "in association with Waddingtons" down one side of the box lid.)

Thanks Gregory, I've edited my post to remove the 'Waddingtons' bit.

Missy, the first deck in your picture is 'The Original Rider-Waite'; a much more modern version that is a facsimile deck (made with images of an earlier deck).

Wendywu

I've had the Original and traded it because my Blue Box is actually much more authentic when compared to the Pam B.

missy

missy said:
Am not sure as to color of wreath/scarf on World card on these tuckbox editions. They may all be green wreaths with purple scarves as seen here in lower lefthand corner: http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9194

Sorry; my mistake. I said "lower lefthand corner" image, when I meant "lower righthand corner," which is the blue box. There are 4 images. I only referenced the lower left one, but meant to say "lower right one." :)

I will edit my original post.

missy

gregory said:
I never saw a USG blue box - and now I wait patiently to stand corrected.

Sulis said:
<snip>it has never been published by USG.

Oh - I see. I misread.

In this quote:

"• Slightly lighter blue lift-off box with World card (green wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller. Rider & Co. -17-21 Conway Street - London W1P6JD. Copyright on lower right margins of cards. Same quality as U.S. Games. Not laminated."

It said "copyright on lower right margins of cards. Same QUALITY as U.S. Games.

So it wasn't U.S. Games. I think I read it somehow thinking U.S. Games and copyright (as they put copyrights on everything) so somehow got mixed up.

missy

Sulis said:
Missy, the first deck in your picture is 'The Original Rider-Waite'; a much more modern version that is a facsimile deck (made with images of an earlier deck).

Yes, Sulis, that is the "Original." :) I only meant to reference the bottom righthand image in that picture, which contains 4 images. I've edited my post; hopefully clearer now! :D

missy

gregory said:

Yep - right! I only meant to reference the bottom right-hand image as far as the "tuckbox" or "blue box." (the "tuckbox" for a blue box)

EDITED LATER: Sorry, I missed your saying "liftoff." I think I am sleepy! I didn't catch that until the bottom of page 2 ... :|