Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Rose Lalonde

This was the deck that got me back into Tarot after a considerable break. It's stunning. I dare say it's probably the best of the gold foil decks that LS has done. I have both the black back and the Papyrus-style back and prefer the black back (it's covered in wee Hours eyes)...

Great post.
I had a question that's held me back from getting the Nefertari. I've read it's the same as the non-gilded Tarot of the Sphinx but with images reversed. So I guess one of them has the hieroglyphics on the cards backwards? It may be silly, since I don't read hieroglyphics, but the idea bothered me, and I didn't know which one had them the right way around. Do you happen to know, spiffo? Or anyone else? Or am I misunderstanding? Priestess: sphinx, nefertari
Thanks!

Spiffo

Great post.
I had a question that's held me back from getting the Nefertari. I've read it's the same as the non-gilded Tarot of the Sphinx but with images reversed. So I guess one of them has the hieroglyphics on the cards backwards? It may be silly, since I don't read hieroglyphics, but the idea bothered me, and I didn't know which one had them the right way around. Do you happen to know, spiffo? Or anyone else? Or am I misunderstanding? Priestess: sphinx, nefertari
Thanks!

I can help you there ...

The images are mirrored as are the hieroglyphs, but, hieroglyphs can be written in either direction. The way they face (on the horizontal) indicates which direction they should be read, unless they are written vertically, in which case they're read from the top to the bottom. And there are only a couple of cards which have hieroglyphs (either cartouche, or phrases from the Book of the Dead). I'm not counting the occasional Eye of Horus or Isis Knot, which are used decoratively. All the hieroglyphs are written vertically on both The Sphinx deck and the Nefertari. Indeed it was the mirroring, and vertical versus horizontal, which led to such confusion during the 17th and 18th century expeditions to Egypt when archeologists couldn't make sense of the divergent writing styles. With hieroglyphs it's all about context and direction.

So fear not.

Spiffo

Thank you so much Spiffo for your thoughtful reply. You've really sparked my interest in this deck now. I have had an interest in Egyptian mythology since I was little so I would certainly prefer an historically accurate deck; and no one could question its beauty.

I'm going to look around for a black backed deck but I might have to settle for the papyrus back. I wish LoS was more consistent with their card stock.

Glad to help.
And yep I so agree with you about (not just) LS and cardstock.

Do please let me know how you get on. X

Rose Lalonde

I can help you there ...

The images are mirrored as are the hieroglyphs, but, hieroglyphs can be written in either direction. The way they face (on the horizontal) indicates which direction they should be read...

So fear not.

Thank you, Spiffo! I appreciate it. :)

mercuryempress

Book of Azathoth anyone?

banbha

Glad to help.
And yep I so agree with you about (not just) LS and cardstock.

Do please let me know how you get on. X

Thanks to your help I am in negotiations for a black backed deck (opened, never used) right now. :D

mercuryempress

I have this deck..and I love it!! It's crazy creepy! The details are really great.

Thank you Ive just ordered it ..I cant wait to get it into my hands

Thoughtful

l feel very drawn to the Yukiyoe it looks so beautiful it could make a good Tdm companion to my Roots of Asia. Would like your comments on this tarot please.

Had no replies so perhaps it is not the most popular of decks. But could not resist any longer and have ordered it any way :grin: