Tarot Wayfarer project: Is this actual Tarot Magic?

Rallwedd

Hello Aeclectics

My name is Rhosyn and I am writing a new blog on tarot mysteries and magic. I am also using the Tarocco Egiziano on my blog to do free readings soon.

I came across a site called the tarot wayfarer and they claim to have sent back a symbol in time, the "Rose Key", by embedding it in tarot cards over the last six years.

It is this site ... www.tarotwayfarer.com

They also appear to offer proof because a video of someone called Marjorie Cameron was released two years after they started - it was filmed in 1956 and clearly shows a ROSE + KEY on her altar.

It is like she received it in the past through her magic mirror, and it was filmed. If so, this seems to be proof that they used tarot to send a symbol back in time?

You can clearly see it in the video on their site and Youtube. It is a real film.

What do you guys thing? It is a big tarot mystery and I love conspiracies!

R.A.

Beanfeasa

Tarot meets YouTube, I think it's all great fun. I'm especially interested because Ciro Marchetti is involved, I'm following it with excitement.

Alta

I agree it looks like fun. An imaginative exercise. And, as Beanfeasa said, Ciro is doing the art so that's cool. But 'real magic', well, someone more versed in real magic than me would have to chime in. I have the impression that it is a game (literally) and an app that they will be selling. Could be wrong, they are being deliberately mysterious. :)

I will say that to title an article Astonishing Proof that the Illuminati are behind the Tarot! and then 'prove' their theory with a card from a recent deck sponsored by them, well....

Farzon

Roses and keys have been symbols for centuries... but I haven't watched the video yet.

And Akartia is of course a portmanteau of cartomancy and the classical Arcadia.

However, it looks like a storytelling marketing campaign to me.

Rallwedd

April 1st Proof?

Hello Alta

Yes, I just checked and the "Illuminati" post was made on April 1st? April Fool?!

I suspect whoever is behind all this has a wicked sense of humour LOL.

Rhosyn

Rallwedd

Rose Key

Hello Farzon

Nice name! I did wonder about that whole Rose + Key thing. Surely it should be a Rose + Cross? Maybe they wanted to do something really different?

I looked and saw Rose Key being used as a special symbol only together - not separately. I wonder if it has anything to do with Rose-Line and Rosslyn? I didn't see anything about that on the 'Tarot Wayfarer' site.

The Arkartia site has more information and it looks like they went to a whole lot of trouble for just a game? Do we know if there are any more decks with that symbol embedded in it?

It is fascinating researching this, it is like a treasure hunt!

Rhosyn

Spiffo

The 'Rose-key' was a powerful symbol used during the Elamite dynasty which existed about 3000BC in what is now modern Iran and Iraq (and surrounds). The Elam conquered southern Mesopotamia and had a unique art/culture little of which survives today. I seem to remember some excitement in Iran in the mid 90s when an ancient treasure trove was discovered by an international team of archeologists. Alas with the West's (arguably) infantile approach to Iran, and the Middle East in general very little information is currently available. And Farzon is absolutely correct when suggesting roses, keys, and indeed Rose-keys, are symbols that have been used countless times in all manner of ways.

As to Marcus Katz's latest endeavour I'm sure it will have admirers and detractors. He is a master of exciting interest in innovative Tarot practices. My understanding is that the current project is about creating a virtual reality world where participants engage in a series of Tarot based games, learning and exchanges. I'm guessing that it's a more fully realised version of his old Tarot Town ideas but utilising current technology to make it more engaging and immersive.

Ciro's artwork will make it look beautiful and it is certainly a coup getting him involved. Ciro's own moves into augmented reality and techno-innovation have been fun to watch.

I assume the current publicity stunts (sending symbols back in time; the photoshopped Piccadilly Circus photos; etc.) and the teaser websites are all leading people to a Kickstarter Campaign due to commence May 1st. As they say, all will be revealed then, or if not all, enough to make participants pledge some money to the scheme.

My reservations aside, I am sure it will be a financial success. As to it contributing to 'restoring the spiritual dignity to Tarot' only time will tell. But one cannot deny Marcus knows how to sell, create a demand, and play to his audience. If one doesn't take it too seriously I'm sure it will be lots of fun for those that subscribe, join, pay-up, or however admitence is gained.

I wonder if the wee mini tarot figurines he's also selling are somehow involved?

As to whether this is actual magic? Clever marketing often appears to be magical, until the bill comes. X

Rallwedd

Elamites

Hello Spiffo

That's fascinating and ideal for my research! Do you have a reference for the Rose Key used by Elemits? Are the tarot figures cards? It does all at least look to be a little fun :)

Thank you

Rhosyn

Spiffo

Hello Spiffo

That's fascinating and ideal for my research! Do you have a reference for the Rose Key used by Elemits? Are the tarot figures cards? It does all at least look to be a little fun :)

Thank you

Rhosyn

Hi Rhosyn (unusual and striking name, Welsh?).

Now the wee figurines are actual figures depicting each of the Major Arcana (RWS), (think Monopoly tokens) about an inch and a half tall. I seem to remember a thread about them here on AT. I understand an individual figure is being released each month. The name of the sculptor eludes me, but they appear to be fully formed but unpainted. If you search for either Tarosophy or Tarosophy Association, you should get to their website which should have information.

As to the Elamites; that's a bit harder. My knowledge is peripheral to my own studies in Egyptology and consists of mostly (rather dry) academic texts (mainly French language) and one memorable lecture by a visiting Iranian archeologist to my Uni. I just checked the Wikipedia entry, and it's not to bad. The references at the end of the article are sound although may be a bit overkill for a general introduction. Any good basic history book, focusing on the late Bronze Age will include the Elam, or indeed, a history of Ancient Persia, or Mesopotamia (look for the Southern region) should make mention of them. If it helps, the Elamites were heavily influenced by the Babylonians and it is believed their culture developed along similar lines. Part of the problem in studying them is so little of them survive and what does lies in Iran and Iraq, which I'm sure you know, is a difficult place for archeologists and historians to work. What has been discovered is more often than not reported and written about in French (they alone among the West have endeavoured to retain academic links and to this day fund digs and research in Iran).

Back to the Rose-key ... the Chevalier & Gheerbrandt Dictionary of Symbols, or the Cirlot Dictionary of Symbols, and if you can bear it The Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism publication The Book of Symbols, all have good sections on the Rose, the key and whatnot that may interest you. Alchemists have used the Rose as a symbol for all manner of alchemical ideas, with the colour and number of petals being the 'key' or legend to what is being referred too. Manly Hall's Secret Teachings of All Ages will give you a good grounding in the various forms of alchemy and it discusses some of the symbolism at length (and in some very flowery language!).

Hope that helps.

Spiffo

And ...

Just in case you don't know it http://www.occultopedia.com is a useful introductory site that may be of interest. Start with the Alchemy basics, and seek out rose key and rose garden to see how it's used in situ. X