Il Meneghello Sola Busca

debitutchi

Now hearing conspiracy theories:

Why would they only publish the 22 Trumps, when all of their other historical decks are the full 78 (except when the original historical deck was incomplete)? Especially since the Sola Busca is interesting because of the illustrated pip cards. I wonder if they will publish the remaining cards. I think the only other full-sized historical facsimile is the Mayer printing, which has great beautiful color images, but doesn't seem to be for actual use (cardbacks are just unfinished plain white paper, card stock feels fragile, and the ink feels almost laser jetted on). The Meneghello reproductions are on such great card stock, and seem to be cards made for use.

Why would Il Meneghello do this? And more importantly, does anyone think we could get them to make a complete deck?

The Happy Squirrel

Copyright matters?

debitutchi

I would think it is too old to hold copyright…maybe licensing, but still why only 22...

mydearruby

In 2009 the deck was sold to the Italian Ministry of Heritage and Culture. I assume the foundation has a right to decide which part of the deck can be accessed to the public. Perhaps their logic goes like that if everyone has a full copy, then nobody would ever visit the Brera museum in Milan where it has been kept :)

The full copy produced prior to this purchase is available through Mr. Giordano Berti.

debitutchi

That would be the Mayer version of the Sola Busca. Right now its the best way to see all 78 cards as they exist, but unfortunately they are pretty much laser-printed onto plain white unfinished cardboard stock (with no back, not even painted white--its just unfinished paper). They aren't very functional as a usable deck. The Meneghello trumps version produced wonderful, fully finished cards--I wish wish WISH they would do the complete deck…if anyone has any swing or clout at Meneghello, let them know :)

Its just so strange to only reproduce the trumps for a deck which is most interesting because of the fully illustrated pips

McFaire

I have both of these decks and they are both wonderful.

Most likely the reason Menegazzi's deck is trumps-only is cost. The deck is about 90 euros for just the 22 majors. It is beautifully produced on wonderful stock as debitutchi mentioned and feels very readable in the hands. But to produce the full deck in this style would probably result in retail price that would be prohibitively expensive for the market.

The Mayer deck is stunningly beautiful but the card stock is not nimble, as debitutchi pointed out.

If you've seen the film The Red Violin, the Mayer deck handles in a similar fashion to the deck in this movie. The cards are large -- original size, same as the Menegazzi deck -- and the stock is thick and doesn't lend well to normal shuffling. But the overall impression of this edition is that of a museum piece or heirloom. You feel like you are working with an ancient hand-painted deck.

Both decks are breathtaking.

If you want a complete Sola Busca with the original artwork, the Mayer is the only one. You'll need to experiment with mixing the cards as they do not handle like most decks.

FLizarraga

There's also the full Lo Scarabeo edition, of course. Not as beautiful, obviously, but OOP and hard to find.

Padma

Seven Stars did a version of the Sola Busca deck. I know she manipulated many of the images, but aren't the basics the same? (forgive my ignorance, not up on all the history bits of many decks).

http://www.tarotbyseven.com/#!product/prd3/1329744261/sola-busca-revisited-tarot-deck

due to the fact she altered some of the images electronically, I suppose it is no longer seen as a Sola Busca, really? ETA oh, and the fact that she made it into an RWS...never mind, I get it.

McFaire

The Lo Scarabeo, though, does not have the original 15th-century artwork -- it has artwork that was redrawn/painted in the 20th century in a more modern style.

So I think the only full deck at present with the original artwork is the Mayer.

FLizarraga

Seven did a beautiful reworking of the Sola Busca images to make them into a readable RWS deck and named it Sola Busca Revisited. It's a marvel in its own right (in Seven's dreamy linen cardstock), but of course not a reproduction.