Religion and Tarot

wytchwood

I believe we all have to follow our own path, whether it's following an organized religion or a path of your own making (I myself am a kind of nature oriented shamanic zen yogi!) it has to be followed in your own way. Trying to shoehorn yourself into a rigid doctrine means going against your inner Voice which is all we really have to guide us in this life. Anyone can read the holy scriptures of any religion and make is seem to say this or that to suit their own controlling motives, the Churches have given Christianity a very bad name over the centuries! But those of use who use Tarot cards know that we are contacting higher parts of ourselves and growing spiritually by doing so, and it no more dangerous or sinful than meditating. Those who disapprove on religious grounds do so because of ignorance- they no doubt believe that it works by contact with spirits or some similar misconception- so their objection is not valid. I think it's best to treat their ravings with a pinch of salt and have some compassion for their suffering, but not make it our own.

Zoe xx

Gavriela

I'm Jewish, which fortunately is very light on dogma - we don't have much in the way of required beliefs. I'd put myself somewhere on the spectrum between panentheist and atheist, and mostly I use tarot to teach kabbbalah (which some would frown upon, but that's their problem). And I often make students go read the bible to understand what tarot's about, but most of the ones I get are pretty biblically literate to start with, so that works.

Occasionally do readings, mostly of the psychological or spiritual varieties, when I tell fortunes it's with Lenormand or playing-card based oracles.

I've never believed in a personal sort of God, but if there is one, I can't see why He/She/It would object to tarot, or any other form of knowledge that helps people understand themselves or the world around them or concepts of divinity.

Nevada

wytchwood said:
I believe we all have to follow our own path, whether it's following an organized religion or a path of your own making (I myself am a kind of nature oriented shamanic zen yogi!) it has to be followed in your own way. Trying to shoehorn yourself into a rigid doctrine means going against your inner Voice which is all we really have to guide us in this life.
This is similar to my feelings and ideas about religion for myself. For a long time I missed the sense of belonging that people have in a religion, but I've always found that my own freedom to not name a belief, to study whatever and practice however I choose, is simply the right thing for me. I do feel a little left out at times, for instance if I involve myself in pagan groups on line, which I like to do because they seem the most open to and embracing of Tarot, I get the feeling after a while that I don't fit in because I won't commit to a religious label. Then I start to feel pushed away somehow (maybe it's just my perception). But in my view, my free path is a commitment, and a very important one for me in my life. It's just a very solitary (and at moments lonely) one sometimes.

But then, yes. Doesn't everyone, even in a dogmatic religious context have his or her personal take on those beliefs? We are perhaps each a member of our own solitary path, and perhaps that very solitariness sends us seeking God/dess or Unity even more in our lives, in order to feel whole.

I like this particular quote I found recently from Rainer Maria Rilke:

“Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.” -Rainer Maria Rilke

Nevada

apollo18

Very helpful answer, Nevada. I guess committing to any particular religion is like writing any definite answer - until you actually do it you have endless possibilities.

wytchwood

I know what you mean about the sense of belonging... I have often wished I could just accept the package deal, but I have never been able to. Vedic philosophy is the only thing I could accept as a whole thing as it's all-encompassing, but it's not the same as belonging to a church or mosque. I suppose the major difference is that you have to shoulder the entire responsibility yourself instead of delegating part of it to an imam or priest, of course it's possible to have spiritual teachers on all paths, but the dynamic is different. Of course the spiritual community of an established religion is an attractive idea, although I doubt the grass would be so green if you were actually on that side of the fence.

Zoe xx

apollo18

Well Zoe, you're part of the Tarot community. Maybe not a spiritual path because a path goes from A to B with everyone sticking to the official route, more of a spiritual forest where you meet people and discuss what you've seen on your wanderings.

Steve

Astraea Aurora

I'm pagan. Tarot is for me the most beloved tool for divination and a lot of other disciplines. Mostly it helps me understand myself better as well as the world around me - but it doesn't limit itself to that form. It helps me in journaling, dream analysis, visualisations, understanding my religion etc. I realise that it plays a much bigger part in my life than anything else, even my music stays behind. Tarot is like a good friend who is taking care of me every single day of the year. I don't have to call him, don't have to write letters or emails to hear its voice which is sometimes comforting, sometimes upsetting. It is always there when I need it. What a better friend can I have?

Astraea Aurora :grin:

boxxleman

I am Christian, to refresh people on this subject. But recently my cards have gone stale.

I pray to the Lord before any reading I do, and usually the readings have been dead on, however...

Lately, it seems my cards have been trying to tell me something: They aren't responding anymore. It also seems I have lost some kind of faith in the cards, and it feels I have to pray more in my alone time. Any advice?

One last question. How does one go about "shuffling" the cards? Could somebody send me a proper video on how to do it? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I'm very confused as of late..and I have been being called "a fool" (that card constantly comes up in readings now). I feel as if I am a fool. Someone please help! :(

greenbeans

boxxleman-there is really no right or wrong way to shuffle. Personally, I'm dead clumsy, so I shuffle slowly and for a long time, turning my question over in my mind. I stop when it 'feels right' (because somehow at some point, it does), cut the deck and take the top cards.

as for being a 'fool', aren't we all? Not just the literal fool (although I'm often that!) but the 'fool' of new beginnings, chances taken, innocence etc...

apollo18

Now you've seen enough to be convinced there is something in it, perhaps it's time to look more into the meaning of Tarot and how it all fits together.