Nine of swords reversed

Zana

Drew it in the "self" position in a Celtic cross style career spread. Kind of drawing a blank due to the reversed nature of the card, so it would be nice to hear some suggestions from people who read with reversals.

Big thanks

nisaba

Someone who ignores their feelings? Who hides depression? Who falls out of bed a lot?

Really, you should be discussing this with the client.

starrystarrynight

It could be that this person has been through the ringer--emotionally, mentally, or even physically--and has learned how to deal with the negative things that have happened to her, even if she doesn't realize it. So, she's at a point where she really needs to let [whatever negative thing of her past that is currently still influencing her] go.

hazlit

For many years I've not read reversed cards, preferring to draw on context cards for indications for manifestation of a card's energy in a person's reading, however over the past few months I've felt drawn toward using reversals and have come across lots of information that has helped me to understand their implications. I found this video very helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4id3C3bDeAg&list=UUMwMXPHaB0cyyk0FzqEG-6g&index=1&feature=plcp

My understanding of the reversed 9 of Swords is similar to nisaba's... it may be that this person is tending to put a lid on their shadow self with regard to their career aspirations. They may harbour real anxieties regarding their current career situation, however there is some distortion of these, or difficulties in expressing/admitting to them.

I like the Greenwood interpretation of this card as 'Dedication' - being at one with your inner heart. Possibly there are issues here around the person being at one with their inner heart--> in relation to their career... Are they expressing the struggle they're having about how their work/vocation expresses their at-one-ness with their heart? ...or are they tending to suppress this inward dissonance/disharmony?

hx

Thirteen

Intellect needs to be sharper?

Drew it in the "self" position in a Celtic cross style career spread. Kind of drawing a blank due to the reversed nature of the card, so it would be nice to hear some suggestions from people who read with reversals.
9/Swords warns the person to stop worrying so much--but doesn't tell them not to worry. It acknowledges that what is keeping them up (or waking them up) has validity--it's just not as bad as they think. Reversed blocks this energy. Turn it upside down and the person does fall out of bed...or maybe they don't have nightmares and don't wake up at all. Which isn't a good thing because it means they're ignoring the worries, sleeping through them. Instead of making mountains out of molehills, they're pretending there are no molehills at all.

This is not good because even over-doing such worry would mean they are awake and aware about it, rather than slumbering through it. Swords are the intellect, and 9/Swords show an over-active intellect, so keen and sharp that it won't let us rest. Reversed might indicate that the intellect here is dull and in need of sharpening.

Maybe?

WalesWoman

Maybe it's a sleep disorder analyst/ therapist, or maybe it's someone who interprets dreams or a psychological analyst who works with paranoid people or ones with phobias.

Zana

Not surprisingly, this card has kept me up in bed just thinking, pondering what it could mean. ;)
Anyway, I mishmashed some of your responses with some of my drowsy thoughts, and arrived at a possible interpretation:

Not being totally true to your own feelings and trying to avoid confronting them fully on, out of the fear of seeing that one has trotted down the wrong path, of choosing the career that is at odds with one's heart, or even of choosing one that isn't.
Perhaps rethinking would be just "too much", especially if the person "has been through the ringer". Or maybe it is fatigue, or lack of confidence, or fear of what others will say. Perhaps this indicates closing one's eyes to ethical breaches at the workplace, either one's own or others', or combined.
If nine of swords upright indicates doing the right thing and the pain that comes with it, reversed it might represent suppressing one's own intellect, and just going along painlessly but also without enthusiasm, joy, or integrity.

With surrounding cards, some pieces of this made more sense than others.
Thank you all for your contribution!

Luna-Ocean

Big thanks

Was this reading for a client or a self reading about your present situation, if its in the self card position then Your self examining about how you see your self in that situation, your worrying about how you might come across in your job, worrying about if your good enough and if your doing a better job then those around you.

But because the negtivity of the 9 0f swords reversed, then i would see it more of you feeling less stressed about the above, your feeling more confident in your abilities in work, and i see the 9 of swords a light at the end of the tunnel.

Indigo Rose

t...hen i would see it more of you feeling less stressed about the above, your feeling more confident in your abilities in work, and i see the 9 of swords a light at the end of the tunnel.

I agree with Star. In many instances, I've seen the 9 of Swords reversed as an overcoming of negative thoughts. A period of mental stress and negativity may be lifting for you.
As with all readings, context is what will help you define meaning.

:heart:

MaineGirl117

I got this card in a career reading for me in position #3 (foundation). After some extensive over-thinking, I have come to the conclusion that it means (in my case) a job I've learned all I can from; is no longer (mentally) stimulating. Time to put in the 2 weeks notice (10/swords) and move on to something new (Ace).

I can see where the internal deception would play nicely with this. I'm lying to myself if I think I can find something better than this.

Another thought: fearing a lack of mental aptitude for something more advanced/complex ("will a company ever choose me over someone else in this saturated employee market?")

Hope this helps!