Question regarding significators

Soraya

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the use of significators:

1. does the significator have to be chosen according to one's looks or sun sign, or can we choose randomly a card to which we feel drawn in this context?

2. should the significator be left outside during shuffling and laying the spread (so that one can focus on it) or can it be left in the deck, thus giving it the chance to show up in the spread?

Thanks for your input.
Soraya

Lilliana

Hi Soraya,

1. I think that you can use any card that you're drawn to for a significator. If it feels right, then there's nothing to stop you from using any card in the whole deck. Some people might disagree, and only use a card which matches their sign, looks or personality and that's fine too.

Generally speaking, nothing is an unbreakable rule in tarot. There are as many different reading techniques as there are tarot readers.

2. Once again, it's largely a matter of personal preference. If I am using a significator, I usually pick it first and then focus on it while shuffling, but sometimes I'll leave it in the deck.... it all depends on what I want to do at the time.

Basically, my advice is do what feels right for you, you can't go wrong :)

Lilli

arizonagirl

I don't often use a significator, but when I do, I let the deck pick it. It usually shows some aspect of the seeker.

I use it as the first card drawn and then draw 10 others for the Celtic Cross.

cj

Soraya (11 Jan, 2002 20:07

Hi,

When I do a spread, I let the deck choose the significator..this is a good indication if I have "found" the person I am reading for.

I use the talisman's cup (in prev. threads or on bec's home page - a must check out..now my major spread..easy and informative) and celtic cross. the first 2 cards to me are the signifcator.

together they tell a little about the person and what is going on right now.

try it...

cj

MeeWah

I prefer not to use a significator, as it removes from the deck a card that may be used in a spread. One or more of the cards may appear as representing the querent. I've seen Majors, minor & court cards to represent the querent in terms of qualities & aspects within a spread; as well as representing other people &/or situations associated with the querent.
I can see choosing a significator & leaving it in the deck for possible use in the spread.
When using a spread such as the Celtic Cross, the first 2 cards often represent the querent as well as the situation at hand.
A significator need not be chosen based strictly on the Sun sign nor the appearance. Any card that seems to fit would be appropriate. Sometimes the rising sign of the querent expresses itself in a card rather than the Sun sign.
As has been stated frequently, there are no hard rules with this, which permits flexibility with each occasion.

Persephone37

Soraya said:
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the use of significators:

1. does the significator have to be chosen according to one's looks or sun sign, or can we choose randomly a card to which we feel drawn in this context?

2. should the significator be left outside during shuffling and laying the spread (so that one can focus on it) or can it be left in the deck, thus giving it the chance to show up in the spread?

Thanks for your input.
Soraya

I started reading with the celtic cross 25 years ago following the book of Liz Greene "Delphic Tarot". There was always the significator the very first card, position 1 of 10 in the celtic cross and titled as position for the situation. So my answer would be for MY readings - I still always draw the significator concerning the question since I never felt need to change the system of Liz Green to get my answers.

Regards
Petra