3 Card Bonanza

Jen

Edited on 11.16.03 to add new spreads

So - I love the number 3. I see it everywhere in everything. It's my God/Divine/Magic type number. I like to do things in three's and schedule events on "3" days where the day of the month is a multiple of 3. (I promise I don't have OCD)

(If there is already a thread like this, just let me know - I searched but didn't find one with the same content. )

I'd like to create a comprehensive list of all the three card spreads we can think of - I know there's a lot. I'd like to continually edit this post and put all of them at the beginning of this thread for easy viewing.

This is the list myself and my local tarot group (there's three of us) have put together so far: (I haven't come up with interps for all of the ones that aren't as obvious as PPF, so please feel free fill in the blanks) Also, if any of these spreads were created and posted by people on this forum - I thank you in advance :)

1. PPF (Past/Present/Future)

2. Question/Querent/Probable Solution

3. Body/Mind/Spirit

4. Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow

5. Last Week/This Week/Next Week

6. Last Month/This Month/Next Month

7. Red Light/Green Light/Yellow Light
  • Red Light - Don't do this
  • Green Light - Go ahead and do this
  • Yellow Light - Caution/be careful/be aware of this

8. Subconcious/Concious/Superconcious

9. CPU/Monitor/Keyboard
  • CPU - Querent's thoughts on the issue
  • Monitor - How the querent views the issue
  • Keyboard - What the Q can "input" so the issue will work in their favor

10. Sun/Moon/Stars
  • Sun - What you see clearly
  • Moon - What you're having a hard time seeing.
  • Stars - What you wish will happen.

11. I/Love/You
  • I - How the Q feels about a person or relationship
  • Love - What the Q loves most about the person or relationship
  • You - How the Q's partner feel about the Q or their relationship with the Q.

12. Maiden/Mother/Crone
  • Maiden - Where or in what the Q or their issue is just starting to develop
  • Mother - What is in "full bloom" or has a very robust energy.
  • Crone - What is coming to pass or lessening in energy

13. Yes/No/Maybe (Not sure if this one needs an interp)

14. Gas/Liquid/Solid (Checking the status of what you're trying to manifest)
  • Gas - What's still in the form of pure energy or thought in your life/What's "hanging out" in the ethers.
  • Liquid - What's starting to flow and slowly come into your life.
  • Solid - What's completely manifested and visible to you.

15. Querent/Partner/Outcome (For Love readings)

16. Illusion/Knowledge/Magic

17. Child/Parent/Adult
  • Child - Where in the Q's life they're like a child.
  • Parent - Where in the Q's life they're like a parent.
  • Adult - Where in the Q's life they're like an adult.

18. Idea/Challenge/Advantage

19. Challenge/Opportunity/Action

20. Issue/Action/Outcome

21. Inner Self/Outer Self/Advice

22. Waxing/Full Moon/Waning

23. The three wiseman? (I don't remember the story)

24. Situation/Advice/Outcome (Major Tom)

25. Where I am/Where I need to be/How do I get there (Magecot)

26. Sun/Moon/Rising (ascendant) (More on these interps further down in this thread) (purple_scorp)
  • Sun - Your individuality
  • Moon - Your inner self
  • Rising - You outer personality

27. Problem/Solution/Encouragement (Tallarico)

DeLani

There are so many ways you can do a 3-card spread. Those are great ideas. I'm lazy, I suppose...I just cut the deck into three piles, turn over the top card on each pile, and "make up" the positions then and there, as the cards tell me!
Can't wait to see others' variations on this tried-and-true spread.

skytwig

ooooooo, nifty keeno :D

Interesting that you are fascinated by the number 3... is your Soul number a 3?

Aura Wolf

I didn't realize there were so many. Oh dear...and I've been printing out spreads to put in my tarot book. Now with all of these, how am I ever going to know what to choose for a reading? :)

Jen

DeLani,
I like your idea. Do you do that when you are reading for somebody else (make up the card postions on the spot?) Sometimes I do that for myself when I'm messing around with a deck, but have never tried it when reading for others. It sounds intuitive.

skytwig,
If by soul number you mean adding up your birth date - mine is 5. I have a friend that works as an angel channel. I told her about my fascination with the number three and she said she used to be the same way - that she would always cut her sandwiches in three's before eating them, etc. She believes that God has three parts or three aspects and that's why we see the number three so much in daily life and in story and myth. I've have some interesting synchronicities with the number three. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post them.

Dead Star,
Sorry to overwhelm you. My thoughts about this post were there would be so many different "three" spreads that most people would be able to find a few that resonate with them and use those. For instance, if you like computers, the CPU/Monitor/Keyboard one may really sync with you or if you have a science mind, the Gas/Liquid/Solid one may stick with you.

:)

Major Tom

Great idea!

One more for the list:

Situation/Advice/Outcome

PurpleSal

I think you just about covered it

Brilliant list- I'm going to have a good go at a lot of these - got a gang of people booked in for readings this saturday and these might be the perfect starter before going into a larger spread.

Thank you - I'll let you know how I do - I can't think of any other 3 cards that you haven't covered there - be interested to see what everyone else comes up with!

Sal x

Majecot

This is what I use for my daily morning reading; Kind of a daily goal orientation.

1-Where I am
2-Where I need to be
3-How do I get there

****2*****

**1****3**

DeLani

Jen said:
DeLani,
I like your idea. Do you do that when you are reading for somebody else (make up the card postions on the spot?) Sometimes I do that for myself when I'm messing around with a deck, but have never tried it when reading for others. It sounds intuitive.

:)
Yep to both. Although I rarely do 3-card readings for clients, since for their money I think they expect a little more than "merely" three cards. But for specific questions, or even for complicated ones, it is so direct and accurate you can't beat it.

miss_apples

I dont use any form of position for the cards in a 3-card spread. I just lay down 3 cards and try to fit all the meaning together so that they make sense.