Is it wrong to charge?

SuzanneMoon

Hiya everyone ((hugs))

I have been considering charging for my readings but i know alot of the people i work with within the paranormal field think this is wrong and that psychics should not make money for their gifts. I just feel that if i start charging people will look down upon me for doing so.

I am so stuck at the moment and wondered what were your opinions guys n gals

Thanks
Love
Suzanne
xxxxx

Dwaas

Is it wrong to charge?

No, imo. It is an exchange of energy which could make both querent and reader feel comfortable as you both get what you need. Reading (and all the study in advance) is energy, as is money or presents for which people also have to work. The only reason why you should not charge is when you don't have to offer what people need: good readings. Well another reason can be that you don't feel comfortable with charging anyway. :) But that is for you to decide, not because of some vague "rule".
Blessings

The Hanged Man

I don't think that a reasonable charge is wrong for readings - definately not if reading for strangers. You mention that people may look down on you for charging - on the contrary - people may look down on you if you don't. If you charge, it shows that you have enough sincerity and belief in your abilities to give a good reading, that you are worth payment, and this instills confidence in the person you read for.

I can remember once reading for a stranger, in the times when I felt that charging was wrong. Upon completing the reading, the person announced, 'oh thankyou, now I'll go to a 'proper Tarot reader' (i.e. one who charges), to see if they can confirm what you've said.'. She obviously felt I was unsure of myself because I didn't charge her.

If you are ready to read for strangers and you have the confidence, then charge. The question is, how much to charge.

SuzanneMoon

Thanks very much for your sharp replies and yes the answers you have given me make alot of sense and you are right why should i not charge, i have devoted alot of my time to study the cards and also giving something back to society in return and in a way i have gained knowledge but a small payment would help me along to progress to different cards and more study :)

Phoenix Rising

Hi Suzanne Moon

We have had numerous threads about this very topic..and it's good for people to be reminded.

That ridiculous rumor that "it is wrong to charge for spiritual gifts", is a load of non-sense. The people who probably started that rumor, is either to stingy to part with their money, or don't want you to be making any (money) They only say that because they heard it from somewhere else..they don't even really know why. Money is just energy..spirituality, psychic gifts etc etc..are energy as well. If you did readings for a living, would you expect to get nothing? how would you survive? Then that would be your silly fault for listening to those other clueless idiots..who would follow that "rule"

Don't listen to those ignorant people, who obviously have got no real clue on what true "spirituality" is. There are no rules in reading or Tarot...rules are made up by other people..and who the hell are they?? Are they all knowing and enlightened?..No of course not!...would they pay your bills for you? No of course not! Would they die for you? No of course not...So don't "LIVE" for them..simple as that Suzanne.

You do with your life as you see it, not through the eyes of others!!

Kia kaha kotiro!!!

Deana

I'll stop charging for my work when I stopped getting charged for other people's work. The day my groceries become free, my walls get painted for free and I can go onto a lot and choose a new car for free, I will stop charging for what I do. Side note: many of the people who think Tarot readings should be free are upper middle class, not working class. Why can they get paid $200 an hour but they expect me to read for them for free?

Apollonia

Deana said:
I'll stop charging for my work when I stopped getting charged for other people's work.

Deana, I love this! A person who practices any other profession can consider her work her gift and her calling, yet has no trouble charging, but again and again we hear that it's somehow "not spiritual" to charge for Tarot readings.

If almost any other ocupation is substituted for "Tarot Reader," it would sound ridiculous. "So, Jake, you went to school for 8 years to be a physician, you actually like what you do and it benefits people? Well, then, how can you possibly charge money for it? You're a bad, greedy person. Your gifts should be offered freely, or maybe for feedback, like if they really liked how you set their broken leg, they would tell you and that should be payment enough."

Tarot Tina

Could you ask the client for a donation rather than an actual amount, just to show their appreciation ! Just a thought.

Sulis

Deana said:
I'll stop charging for my work when I stopped getting charged for other people's work. The day my groceries become free, my walls get painted for free and I can go onto a lot and choose a new car for free, I will stop charging for what I do. Side note: many of the people who think Tarot readings should be free are upper middle class, not working class. Why can they get paid $200 an hour but they expect me to read for them for free?

Well said Deana:)

Of course it's not wrong to charge - no-one else works for free, why should we.

This question would be shot down as ridiculous if it were on a plumbing, carpentry or medical website so why does it constantly come up for tarot readers?

Maybe tarot readers should be able to magically conjour food and sustinance without the aid of cash ;)

Knight of Wands

I don't see anything with charging.

Go ahead, Charge!