Satanic Deck

HudsonGray

Today someone started advertising their Satanic deck on the market. I read through the site and it seems the person hasn't researched the historical side of tarot very much. With the changes done to all the cards, and the renumbering & such, it's more of an oracle. I'm not too fond of the artwork, but I won't give them an argument about any of it. I know next to nothing about Satanism, for the most part.

They say only 18 decks will be produced for right now at $1,000 each, then the second printing will be lower priced at $100 each later.

Any comments on this endeavor? I'm not sure it'll fly, the learning curve seems to be pretty high (90% of what they refer to was new to me so I felt pretty clueless).

Kiama

I'm a little shocked at the price for the limited edition set: 1000 AUD!

And I don't much like the deck either... Maybe because I don't understand it, but possibly also because I read the site and was instantly put off by the fact that the deck creator thinks slating every other Tarot deck in existence is a good idea, and claiming their's to be the best deck ever.

As it is, I am not sure the deck really sticks to LaVey's Satanism very much... I think it is more of a personal endeavour on the creator's behalf, mingling Satanism with their lifestyle and spiritual experiences...

Kiama

Aura Wolf

It is quite strange, for sure. I'd probably like the artwork if the people didn't look so strange :) But other than that it is very non-traditional, not that that's a bad thing, but the symbolism is kind of unclear, which is strange because the artist stated they didn't like most tarot decks because of a lack of magickal understanding and non-consistent symbolism, which I think is ridiculous... for one I don't believe that, and for another, tarot decks are all different and aren't necessarily supposed to follow magickal symbolism. Perhaps if you're a Satanist you'd understand/like it more? I have no idea. Not my thing though.

HudsonGray

The medium looks to be a combo of watercolor and color pencil, but not by anyone trained in technique too well, there's haloes around the items yet, a common mistake for new artists.

Still, skill levels don't matter if the deck reaches someone. The 1,000 AUD is pretty high, I'd want no shipping charges put on it and possibly a gold leaf back for that!

Yes, I had a problem with how they dismissed all the other decks out there--yet said there were a few hundred decks on the market. Aren't there something like 3,000 decks currently in print, with more coming out of Germany, Italy & Spain every day?

Centaur

I quote from the website:

'Introducing the World's only public Sinister/Satanic Tarot Deck'

All this talk of representing the 'essence of the sinister', etc, had me very intrigued as to what these images would look like. I mean, it all sounds very grand.

And then I looked at the images... I admit that I have not seen them all, but I see nothing all that 'sinister'.

Ugh.

Phoenyx*

I don't think this is my type of deck

*studies the cards....blinks.....studies them some more......blinks again*

Despite the author's claim that his/her cards resonate where others don't, I don't feel any resonation. I don't feel any magick from them, certainly no more than any other deck.
When going into the sphere of Jupiter (because I'm a Sag, I'm drawn to Jupiter first), I find the women's breasts to be over-exaggerated, the hips to be not exaggerated enough (if he/she is trying to go for the reproductive abilities of a woman).

From an artistic perspective (of which I certainly cannot consider myself an artist, but I do believe I have *some* taste), the colors are decent, it looks like the artist used crayons though. The figures drawn are somewhat crude, and not very proportional.
I hate to say this, but they look like something a ten year old would draw. Although, since I am no artist, the artist can certainly draw better than I. :D

But, I don't see it selling for 1000 AUD, or even 100 AUD.

Of course, this is all my OPINION.

Centaur

So it is around £400?!

Preposterous!

Phoenyx*

Quoted from the website:

At this stage the limited edition release price for the Naos Deck Tarot - stands at $1000.00 AUD. Those interested in reserving a limited edition deck of the worlds first public Ona-based Satanic Tarot - and revelling in a momentous day for Satan when the Sinister Ethos is restored to its throne in yet another medium by being guaranteed a deck when it is released this year - <snipped>

For those unable to afford the Limited Edition Sinister Tarot - a full 65 card Naos Deck Sinister Tarot will be made available for a few hundred dollars shortly after the LE's have been sold. To reserve either - please contact me.

Centaur

I'll pass. I'd rather have the Gilded. ;)

Zephyros

I just don't "get it". Sinister? Maybe I don't understand the word in its Satanic connection, but if it means dark, well then, its not. As for implying that this deck does what no other does, I'd say it does less.