Ways of learning tarot...

Nighteyes

I've been drawing one card per night now for a few nights after meditation, and I've kept a diary over emotions, thoughts and all that comes into mind as I study the cards in order to learn them... I've seen that many think 3 card readings are the most comfortable and I am interessted in adding on ways to learn the tarot... just wondering if you people have any advise to share to one who's still at the doorsteps of the big house of tarot...

Eissej

Don't be afraid to open the door and start looking around. The big house is full of interesting cubbords and helpful people. At least that's been my observation. Of course, everyone also sees the house from a slightly different veiwpoint, in a slightly different order, but don't let that make you uneasy. And the house is VERY big, don't ever assume you've seen it all, even if you think you have tried all the doors you could find. Go back and try them again. There is sure to be something new behind one of them.

Sorry, had to ramble a bit. I liked your metaphore! Sounds like you are doing exactly what is suggested most often for people just starting to learn. Have you browsed around here a bit to see the other threads people have posted about starting to learn? There are also some good articles here... http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/articles/index.html

Umbrae

My advice.

Begin at the beginning.

Go Slow! Unless you strive for mediocrity.

Begin with three card spreads. Begin doing three card readings (for others). Do them for-ever. Do a lot of them.

Three card readings are versatile, and accurate. More cards do not always mean better readings (but they look good on TV).

There is no need to advance to a five card spread until you have at least six months of reading under your belt.

Buy a spiral notebook. Use it as a Journal (very important). Write down every reading (both cards and your interpretation).

Only read for yourself no more than once a week.

Read old threads in the Archives. Read the text sections.

I’d like to paraphrase and twist the words of another, “Confine yourself to observing and you will always miss the point…in life, the object can be stated this way. 'Live the best life you can. Life is a game whose rules you learn if you leap in, and play it to the hilt. Otherwise, you are caught off balance, continually surprised by the shifting play. Non-Players often whine and complain that life passes then by. They refuse to see that they create their own luck.” The same goes with Tarot. To truly learn, you have to read – you have to make mistakes (but stay within the bounds of ethics)…read too many books, and you are and observer, and not a learner…Remember, knowledge that does not act is useless.

It’s cold out there on the steps, come inside…how about cup of tea…?

Sterlyn

Eisssej,
I am also still very wet behind the ears when it comes to tarot. But i have learned much and grown a great deal over the past several weeks. Maybe there will be something you can use for yourself here.
I usually do a daily cover and cross reading either in the evening for the next day or in the morning if i have time. You are already doing this, and whatever works for you is good, 1 for you, 2 for me, and 3 for others. Whatever feels right for you. I have learned a great deal. By drawing these cards and writing my initial feelings, then i go back the next day and many times my perceptions of this or that card has changed. Many times the same card will come up several times in a week, and i can begin to see different aspects of a card, the cards will begin to show themselves to you. You will begin to see.
Another thing that has helped me to see, is that around the beginning of the month i do several 5 or 7 card readings of myself and those close to me. I specifically ask the cards to see the events surrounding the next 30 days for that person. A month is short enough time to remember what has gone on, it becomes easier to learn to read situations by using hindsight. I find the situation spoken of in the cards usually appears within a week or two, and there is usually an "aha" moment. Regardless by the end of the month, it is usually very clear at what the cards are speaking of.
And lastly, i write all of it down, my readings, my feelings and impression, you will be amazed at how much you will grow.
Hope this helps.

Trogon

Nighteyes said:
... just wondering if you people have any advise to share to one who's still at the doorsteps of the big house of tarot...
Howdy Nighteyes... and welcome to the house. Please excuse the horrible mess in my room... I'm not really a very tidy person and I seldomly put things away. And please ignore the heavy padding on the walls.... ;)

You've already gotten some excellent advice, but I loved your metaphor so much that I had to comment! It does sound like you're already doing many of the things which I did not do when I first started out. Keep that journal up. As you learn more about the Tarot and are able to see more in the cards you draw each day, go back and look at cards you've pulled previously. You might be able to gain some new insights to them as you gain more on the new cards. Also, as Umbrae mentioned, make frequent use of the information here at Aeclectic Tarot. Use the search function (button at top of forum screen) to search for previous posts on a given topic. Also, if you haven't already checked out Thirteen's Tarot Basics here at Aeclectic, it is well worth the time to take a look at it.

red11

Thanks for all the insight!

I just wanted to thank everyone here for sharing their insights and experience!! I've learned a lot in the hour or so I've been parked in front of the computer reading these forums...makes me want to learn even more! :)

Mignonne

Hi Nighteyes!

That was a great metaphor. Like you I'm pretty new to these parts and I'm maybe only one foot in the door of this house. I'm awed by how much there is to see I can't seem to get in deeper yet.

Like many, I like to do daily three cards, in the morning if I can. Mostly, I guess I do it this way because I rarely read at night lately. It's much too noisy and chaotic here in the evening and I can't get into the peaceful mind set i need to actually do a reading. But I can review and think.

I've found the "three cards as a motto" thread has helped me a lot in being able to link my spread into a quick sentence I can carry around with me during the day (link below). Then when I get home in the evening and have a bit more time, I'll pull the cards again and try to delve into them deeper. It also gives me a review of the day and the reading.

I definitely keep a journal too. I've found it has helped me probably more than anything. It's like another sensory memory to help me learn the meanings. It sounds like you're well on your way too.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=55824

fairyhedgehog

It sounds like you've found what is working for you and that is the important thing!

My path though tarot has not been quite like the others in this thread, I think. I never kept a journal - it just didn't mean anything to me. I used books a lot and Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot website. (And also spent far to much time in here - and still do!)

For me, the challenge has been to let go of the idea of looking for the 'right' or 'original' or 'traditional' meaning of any card and just go with what I see in front of me.

Sometimes I've read for myself every day. I used the Celtic Cross 10 card spread from day one and had to progress to smaller readings - for me it was the interaction between cards that was easier to get at than the depths of any one card.

I read for people who aren't there - because I don't believe that I can see anything 'psychically' - so for me it is about thinking about those people when they're not around. I have read for my cat, and with my son, but I don't 'do readings' for other people.

And none of this needs to have any bearing on what you do. Just to say: when you find what works for you, go with it! And it sounds like you are doing just that :)

Edge

firehedgehog said:
For me, the challenge has been to let go of the idea of looking for the 'right' or 'original' or 'traditional' meaning of any card and just go with what I see in front of me.
Thank you for stating that, I feel that this is a very important point. I like to use books as a gauge but prefer to let the energy from the cards stimulate my intuition. I feel this kind of learning could be very beneficial for both personal use and "readings".

Savvy

Lately I've been writing down the cards and their meanings whenever I do a reading for myself. It's not as helpful as I thought it would be, though. I also bound a little book and am writing my interpretations of the cards in it, which is more helpful, and helps me personalize. However, I am far from free of the booklet--you know the one that comes with the decks? mine has more wear than my cards.