Stating the question aloud vs. keeping quiet...

Jeanette

When you do readings for others, do you prefer the querent to state their question out loud or keep it quiet, to themselves? I did a reading on break time today for one of my co-workers, and she didn't tell me what she was thinking about. She said I was accurate, though. It made the reading more difficult for me, but more challenging and in a way more enjoyable because of the greater challenge. I asked her to let me know if anything didn't make sense, or if I was wandering off the mark, and she said no, everything applied. It was pretty interesting for both of us. I never did find out what she was thinking!

tarotbear

When I read for others I virtually NEVER ask them their question since I feel that influences what I see or tells me what they expect for an answer.

However, when I read for myself I find it helps to say the question out loud, repeating it as I shuffle the cards until they 'feel right'.

MeeWah

Ditto for me, for the same reasons cited by Tarotbear! If I am prompted to ask for anything, it's only the birthdate. I usually do not find out from the querent what the question or concern was, though sometimes I can tell from the cards anyway.
For myself, I usually ask be given what I need to know.

Lee

Tarotbear and MeeWah, when you read for others without knowing their question, during the course of the reading do you discuss the cards, and do they reveal their concerns during the discussion? Or do you just tell them what you see in the cards and that's it? And what do you do if you do the reading and they say, well, that doesn't really relate to what's on my mind? I unfortunately don't get to do too much reading for others, so I'm real curious about how people go about it.

Lee :)

tarotbear

Well, Lee, a lot depends on 'how' you do your reading. I never ask the Querent their question; I start reading cold. It's a challenge to do. But I also divide the standard Celtic Spread into sections, and deal with each section separately, they put them together into a big picture overview. In truth - I can peg what they asked in the first card; the rest is merely exposition. This takes a lot of study and trial-and-error to do.

At the very end I usually ask if anything I talked about has anything to do with the question they asked. That's when the truth comes out.

Osher

I prefer to have questions asked. Of course, the answers might be to something else.

However, one challange I find is that people often find it hard to define the question. Last night, I was asked a question, but the answer wasn't what she wanted. By talking to her I understood that she was afraid or unsure to ask what she really wanted. She asked if she would meet this guy, when what she really wanted to know was would she be able to deal with him.

By having them speak, it forces them to define the question that they really want to know.

Jeanette

I think I will just continue to offer the option of stating the question/concern or keeping it to themselves, whatever they are most comfortable with. Some people like to talk, and some people like to TALK!!! With the quieter types, you have to read body language and other signals. Even the talkers sometimes aren't really being objective about what they're saying. I don't think the cards lie, the person you're reading for just might not like what they're hearing (tact and diplomacy help). I do like the challenge of reading "cold" though!

MeeWah

Lee: Basically, I tell the client what I see in the cards. Depending on what I see, I may/may not refer to the birth date for clarification purposes. At the end of the interpretation, I ask if the reading addresses the concern, & accept questions related to the throw for which I refer to the spread. If it seems appropriate, I do a smaller follow-up spread. Nearly everytime with an additional spread, one or more of the same cards will appear. They serve as confirmation of the previous throw.
Occasionally, the the cards do not appear to address the question. There may be something else that has priority or pre-empts the question. The person may not understand the interpretation in some way. It may have to do with the client's focus, the wording of the question or indecision on the question.
I prefer to leave the wording to them, & to not discuss it at geat length.
Some clients blurt out their concerns anyway.
I've had a couple who expressed puzzlement at the results--they were looking for certain specifics that I will not involve myself with, especially if those seem to require specialized knowledge or are of a predictive nature.

Lee

Thanks, MeeWah and Tarotbear.

-- Lee