Forest Folklore - The Magician

rcb30872

This is one of those Magician cards which indicates to me manipulation, and manipulation at a sinister level, so to speak, because it is not obvious it is not really seen to be originated from whomever the Magician relates to, if noticed at all. It can be seen to be able to control the things that are levitating in front of him, without actually touching them, he is using his mind. Just imagine, if you can, if someone was manipulating you, and you didn't know it.

There is a snake around his neck:
http://www.sayahda.com/cyc4.html
The Snake
Snake has been a symbol of life and sexuality for thousands of years in many cultures. It is a totem of power, renewal and transmutation. Soundless in motion and invisible at rest snakes are unable to produce their own body heat. They are often seen lying in the hot mid day sun. The suns warmth coupled with the snakes behavior regulates their body temperature. Not relying on the energy of food to generate body heat, they can survive on meager diets for extended periods of time. Those with this totem need very little food to energize themselves. They are usually cold and prefer warmer climates. Their body temperatures are often lower than normal.

The snake symbolizes healing on a cellular level. Because their bodies are lightweight and flexible they have speed and agility. When they enter into your world expect swift changes to sweep through your life. These changes signify a death of the old and a birth into untapped power, creativity and wisdom. Snake is a powerful totem to have. Only those with a high degree of spiritual training, be it past or present, will be awarded this totem. It is the guardian of sacred places and the keeper of hidden knowledge.

Rede Seeker

Manipulation

I get the same manipulative vibe from this Magician. He keeps the four tokens of Sword, Wand, Pentacle, and Chalice airborne - no rest for them, no contact with the good earth for stability. He looks happy that he is able to keep these tokens afloat.

The serpent is draped over his shoulders. A closer look at the head reveals that this serpent is holding it's tail in it's mouth thus forming the Oroborus - another symbol of power.

The Magician's robes are flared about his legs. Perhaps another sign of air energy keeping the four items in the air. Actually, there are six. Any thoughts on what the red circle with silver border and the smaller round object is?

This Magician reminds me of the men who revived Witchcraft in Britian after 1950; trying their newly discovered power and playing with it to learn more.

rcb30872

Rede Seeker said:
The serpent is draped over his shoulders. A closer look at the head reveals that this serpent is holding it's tail in it's mouth thus forming the Oroborus - another symbol of power.
Thanks, I didn't know what that was called
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroborus
Plato described a self-eating, circular being as the first living thing in the universe — an immortal, perfectly constructed animal.

"The living being had no need of eyes when there was nothing remaining outside him to be seen; nor of ears when there was nothing to be heard; and there was no surrounding atmosphere to be breathed; nor would there have been any use of organs by the help of which he might receive his food or get rid of what he had already digested, since there was nothing which went from him or came into him: for there was nothing beside him. Of design he was created thus, his own waste providing his own food, and all that he did or suffered taking place in and by himself. For the Creator conceived that a being which was self-sufficient would be far more excellent than one which lacked anything; and, as he had no need to take anything or defend himself against any one, the Creator did not think it necessary to bestow upon him hands: nor had he any need of feet, nor of the whole apparatus of walking; but the movement suited to his spherical form was assigned to him, being of all the seven that which is most appropriate to mind and intelligence; and he was made to move in the same manner and on the same spot, within his own limits revolving in a circle. All the other six motions were taken away from him, and he was made not to partake of their deviations. And as this circular movement required no feet, the universe was created without legs and without feet."

The ouroboros has several meanings interwoven into it. Foremost is the symbolism of the serpent biting, devouring, eating its own tail. This symbolises the cyclic Nature of the Universe: creation out of destruction, Life out of Death. The ouroboros eats its own tail to sustain its life, in an eternal cycle of renewal.
Rede Seeker said:
Any thoughts on what the red circle with silver border and the smaller round object is?
I would imagine that the red thing with the silver boulder would be a gem, as one can be seen in the middle of the pommel of the sword. The smaller round object, I don't know, but to me it looks like a rock or a stone.